Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrabit connection?

• 15-08-2003 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

A good friend of mine was at a convention in which one of his hardware suppliers hosts and they had a demo of a terabit lan.

Has anyone got information on the speeds that these can achieve? As far as i know, this will not be released for a couple of years, but am i wrong in saying that? Is it possible to get these pci cards anywhere and what would you be looking at price wise?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

10k/sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the technology will "probably" go to 10gbit then 100gbit before reaching terabit lan

terabit is 125000 megabytes per second (i think, correct if wrong), which it alot faster than hard drives can transfer data atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

yeah but when those optical cube hardrive jobbies come out then they'll be "zig a zig ahhh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The 10gige standard was only ratified less than a year ago, so its going to be a fair few years before you see it in common useage. I mean, gigabit ethernet is only really starting to gain wide acceptance now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gigabit has been launched, 10 Gigabit is being ratified soon by IEEE as far as I know and 40 Gigabit is in development for consumer/busines use.

Here is a link, figure it out.

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Gigabit has been launched, 10 Gigabit is being ratified soon by IEEE as far as I know and 40 Gigabit is in development for consumer/busines use.

Here is a link, figure it out.

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Jesus thats great! Pitty its nothing to do with the connection!

I think with the point of the terabyte atm is because they are getting ready to deal with the speed? (stupid point imo) Would raid handle it? or is that still way too slow?

http://www.10gea.org/

10gige was ratified a little over a year ago by the ieee (June 17 2002). I was a tad off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just saw this:
    The 10gige standard was only ratified less than a year ago, so its going to be a fair few years before you see it in common useage. I mean, gigabit ethernet is only really starting to gain wide acceptance now..

Wasnt aware that it had been ratified already. 40 Gig is the next progression.

Does anyone know what cabling the 10 Gig and 40 Gig ones use, is it CAT 6 or Fibre?

Originally posted by red_ice
    Jesus thats great! Pitty its nothing to do with the connection!

I think with the point of the terabyte atm is because they are getting ready to deal with the speed? (stupid point imo) Would raid handle it? or is that still way too slow?

No desktop pcs could handle anywhere close to terabit - never mind terabyte - at the moment. The hard drives and internal bandwidth of motherboards simply couldnt handle it. Remember that current ide hard drives can currently burst-read to only about 90megabytes/sec. Thats a long way from gigabyte, never mind terabyte.

Also its worth noting that terabit connections have been in comerical use for a year or two. DWDM fibre has a bandwidth of >2.5Tbps, with that figure constantly increasing as new transmission standards over fibre optic cabling are being finalised.

Have a look here and here for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Just saw this:

Wasnt aware that it had been ratified already. 40 Gig is the next progression.

Does anyone know what cabling the 10 Gig and 40 Gig ones use, is it CAT 6 or Fibre?

Fibre.

They're going to be used for Grid-arrays, SANs and as backbone connections.
    You won't find these things in PCI slots. Maybe 10Gig cards in PCI Express, but tbh, there's no point. You can't feed enough data down the line from current consumer tech.
    You'd need a fairly large (drive-count-wise) array of fibre channel drives (ie SAN) to pump data down the line/take advantage of it.

Or grids (mentioned above) for scientific/research purposes.

Or a hoarde of leechers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by SyxPak

Or a hoarde of leechers :)

project for the next galway lan eh !

Advertisement