Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syllabus query

Options
  • 15-08-2003 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi everyone ;o)

I am trying to find out a few facts about the History syllabus in Ireland. Is nationalism previous to 1870 ever covered at any stage? Do you get a lot of information on 1916 and afterwards? Has anyone ever heard about the Fenians? What does the average Irish person know about them? I would be immensely grateful... ;o)

Marta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is nationalism previous to 1870 ever covered at any stage?

Well you must know a tiny bit of info about when the fenians were formed etc. but not to any real detail.

Do you get a lot of information on 1916 and afterwards?

Yes but the rising itself, is almost insignificant in terms of how many times it has been asked on the paper. You concentrate a lot on Cuman na Geadheal and the Dev years.

Has anyone ever heard about the Fenians?

Yes I have :) Most people have, however I'd say few know much about them except that they were the "IRA of their time."

What does the average Irish person know about them?

Their name, see above :)

I could be wrong here but you seem a little on the republican side of things :) Half the course is on Irish history, half on europeon.
    Then only one half of the irish course deals with "fighting the british" and even then its mostly concentrated on the political aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

I am not actually "on" the republican side, since I am not even Irish, my interest is purely academic ;o) ... I have written something on the Fenians (although not from the point of view of their trying to "liberate" Ireland), and once you have done a certain amount of reading it becomes difficult to regain perspective and see what the rest of the world thinks or knows about the subject. I was not educated in Ireland, I don't even live there, so I don't know what Irish people are taught about it or anything else, and I was curious...

But you have helped a lot, thanks... I guess it is more or less as I expected, but now I can be sure... ;o)

Marta.

Advertisement