Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puter Problems

Options
  • 01-04-1999 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

I need a favour, pleeze?! Just some info.

My HDD crashed a while so that's why you haven't had the pleasure of my company in some time. smile.gif Anyway, not only did I replace the disc, I got a brand new AMD K6 366 MHz machine with an 8 Meg AGP accelerator card. I wonder, does anyone know, does K6 not like Quake or something? I can't change the screen res without the blasted machine crashing on me. Plus I can't get GLQuake working. Also, Quake2 ran better on my old Intel P120! Can't get GL Graphics for that either.

So, is there Quake Driver software I need for the card or is there something in Quake2 that means only Intel processors can, um, process well with it?

Thanking you,
    Thinka.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Hmmm... AMD K6-2s run really nicely with Voodoo II cards, not really anything else, due to its less-than-great FPU. I wouldn't even try to run OpenGL games unless you had a Voodoo II, or maybe a TNT. Anyway, if you want to really boost your Quake2 performance in software mode, go to
    http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/k623d/drivers.html
    and get the 3Dnow drivers. 3DNow is a series of 33 extra instructions on the K6-2s and K6-3s that are there just to speed up games. Quite a lot of big games support them now. Also, get DirectX 6, as this will use the 3Dnow instructions for non-supported games. Finally, if you do get a Voodoo II card, your machine will run Quake 2 better than a Pentium II of the same clock speed. Quake, unfortunately, is a big of a lost cause. It'll run okay, but not great sad.gif

C'est la vie.

Dan

Check out http://www.3dnow.com/ for more 3Dnow stuff.

Dan

Advertisement