Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending money to another Irish Person from Credit Card?

Options
  • 15-08-2003 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone here knew of an easy way to pay another individual (ie not a business) money via my Credit Card.

Im aware of International systems, such as PayPal, Bidpay and possibly NoChex, but is there a Irish system? Those international methods sometimes have clauses about withdrawing to Irish Banks and other oddities.

Is it possible to buy a Postal Order\Postal Money Order (whatever they call it now) with a Credit Card?

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Why don't you just withdraw the money at the ATM (with your credit card) and get a bank draft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

surely western union is the answer,
    your contact needs a passoprt as id
    and then it can be collected in any western union outlet in his city. theres a charge though

Taken from the Irish section of the Western union website:
    You can now send money from the comfort of your own home using your credit card. All you need do is call us on our freephone number 1800 395 395. Credit Card operators will take your details over the phone and process the transaction. Credit Card lines are open from 08.00 to 23.00. The main advantage of this service is that you can send money to a loved one without ever having to leave the house.

The money is available to withdraw by the person to whom you send it, at any WU office world wide within minutes when they present the required ID eg passport.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I just send Sterling Bank drafts. They put the recievers name and address on it so while not secure. Its the best you can do. The Western union thing looks good, I might use that in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I haven't used WU for a year or so, but I never needed to present ID and neither did the recipient. They asked me if I /wanted/ to attach a password or require ID on the other end, but it's was optional. Possibly this has changed with the bullsh1t "war on terror".

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Good suggestions, thanks guys.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a number system of numbers available to make electronic transfers easier - you will find a longish number on your recent bank statements.

You can buy a bank draft from your own bank with a credit card, but there may be charges. Other banks may be hesitant to give you a bank draft. I don't think you will get a postal order though.

Money laundering is being taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by Victor
    There is a number system of numbers available to make electronic transfers easier - you will find a longish number on your recent bank statements.
    It's called IBAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joemardo1

Hi,

As a former nochex user I would strongly advice you against using this company. I used them for a while and even recommended them to other people, but then hadn't used them for a certain period. When I tried to login again I couldn't said my account was inactive and had cleaned out the remaining balance. Afger querying this with them, they said that they are perfectly entitled to do this per their terms and conditions which permits them to deduct £5 a quarter for inactive accounts. SO be warned.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

This is an Irish company and cheaper than western union
    http://www.paydaq.com/fees.asp
    Don't know if you can open an account with a credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What is the point in paydaq? You can send the money cheaper (and maybe faster) by bank transfer surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

What is the point in paydaq? You can send the money cheaper (and maybe faster) by bank transfer surely?
    Don't know,
    I walk past an advert for them everyday that says % cheaper than western union, thought it be of interest to western union users, who posted

Advertisement