Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No Multiple Threads" what a dumb rule

Options
  • 16-08-2003 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

1) No multiple threads

Do not post numerous single-item threads. If you have more than one item to sell at a time please include all items in one thread. There should really be no need and it just takes up space and clutters up the place.

What a stupid Rule. People look through the subject of the messages to see whats for sale. If I am selling a computer but want to sell a Ticket for a concert also, who the heck is going to look through my computer thread for the concert ticket that I am selling. How am I going to sell the ticket to people who are looking for a computer.

I agree that you should not be allowed post multiple threads for the same object but the current rule makes no sense. All I need to do is open a different account for each item that I want to sell and I can get around it but then people that have bought off me before won't know that it is me and be confident about buying.

Makes no sense to me!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:We require you to provide these pieces of information if you wish to sell an item here:

Guideline price:
    Seller's location:
    Delivery options:

In an effort to reduce the level of bannings please do not have any off forum dealings by email or pm. Pms can be used for exchanging contact details. Offers and requests for more info should be on thread to be fair to everyone.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Ehh I think the admins mean you to Put every thing u need to sell in the topic..
    If I am selling a computer but want to sell a Ticket for a concert also, who the heck is going to look through my computer thread for the concert ticket that I am selling. How am I going to sell the ticket to people who are looking for a computer.

You COULD just put .. 1 Computer :: 1 Concert Ticket :: 4 Cds.

In the topic.. then anyone intrested in those things click..

Im sure if not everything you want to sell fits into ure topic you could always start a new one and the admins wouldnt mind BUT having said that, you would want to be selling alot of things.. which im sure rarly happens.

Regards,
    -Coz.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree wholeheartedly with Robertr. He was selling 8 19" monitors for a very decent price. All were sold within 24 hours to very happy buyers - myself included. In the meantime he added other items to the thread and realising these would not attract the attention they deserved, opened separate threads for them. We all know the rulez, but surely this is common sense behaviour not offensive to anyone?

This moderation is obviously going way overboard. Robertr's dealings are what the for sale board is (should be) all about. Happy sellers, happy buyers. Please mods comment on this and let's work things out. I for one would not like to be part of something starting to resemble the virtual adolf community

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I was recently selling 19" monitors. The I got a 21" monitor to sell. I wasn't able to change the topic name for the 10" one because I had passed the date where you can make amendments to posts. When I opened a new post for the 21" they both got locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Robertr
    I wasn't able to change the topic name ..... because I had passed the date where you can make amendments to posts

Yeah had this myself recently. Could not update the body of the post either. I had a lot of stuff for sale and this forced me to post a reply with an update every so often rather than editing my initial post. Part of moderation should be facilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

if you dont like the rules here there is no obligation on you to continue using the forums....

selling that many monitors... are you a dealer?

The reason for the no multiple posts is in keeping with many other forums is to give others users a chance to post and stay on the 1st page... its very rare that a legitimate poster has multiple items for sale... sometimes they do... a bulletin board is not the best way for people to buy and sell items... the rules have been formed over a number of years of moderating the forums and are there to be fair to the bulk of the users... there is no way that all users can be satisfied...

The charter clearly states no multiple threads... if you have a problem with a rule or feel that your post should be exempt from a particular rule... its better to ask a mod for a decision rarther than just break the rule and complain after there was a clear breach...

As there is nothing for sale in this thread I am moving it to the correct forum for discussion of issues such as this.

My 2p...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You can alter the topic of the thread by editing your first post on that thread. It will appear as an extra field you can change. Its not perfect but otherwise when someone does a big clean out of all their gear we end up with a forum thats ONLY selling their stuff.

Imperfect world, imperfect rules.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I wasn't convinced when the rule was introduced but I think it has worked quite well. You can always ask a mod to edit a post that you don't have rights to, or combine/delete threads. I have found them all very helpful in the Classifieds forum.

Personally I find multiple threads a pain to read and bid on. So theres your public to think of too!

Advertisement