Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats my ip?

Options
  • 16-08-2003 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Ive just installed my UTV DSL and am curios what my ip address is. There seem to be 3 of them.

Can anyone explain this to me? Some wesites report the second one as being mine and others like say grc.com the third being mine at the same time. What the first one is i dont know. The first two are listed in netstat and winipcfg but the third is a mystry to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's 194.46.84.85
    That 169.254 address is a private address that's assigned to adapters by windows if there's nothing specified already.
    That 195 address is UTV again, could be their proxy's IP if you're seeing it on a website.

Use this link: http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Ro
    http://www.whatismyip.com
    ...reports UTV's transcache address if you are on dialup. Not sure what it does for DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

So even though i havent got a proxy enabled in IE UTV are still giving me pages from a cache? Any way i can bypass this? I believe that the cache may be the cause of the 2 or 3 second delays that im getting sometimes before a page loads up. The delay only occurs when loading web pages, all other applications seem to stay responsive.

Is it possible IE is causing this delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

why not check 'ipconfig' for your ip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Ive got it now. I only actually have one ip visible on the net and thats the proxy. My actual ip shows up on some site becuase that forward users ip is actived on the proxy, HTTP_X_FORWARD or something i think it is called.

Does anyone know if my browser is somehow being forced locally to to go through a proxy or is it server side. My proxy setting is void in IE. If it was local the proxy address would be visible in netstat right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    ...reports UTV's transcache address if you are on dialup. Not sure what it does for DSL.

I find it reports my IP on Esat dsl just fine

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp
    Does anyone know if my browser is somehow being forced locally to to go through a proxy or is it server side. My proxy setting is void in IE. If it was local the proxy address would be visible in netstat right?
    It's server side. UTV have a transparent cache that intercepts all traffic on port 80, decides whether it's cacheable. It's a way for them to reduce their upstream traffic, and to speed up your browsing of static webpages.

Advertisement