Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toms Hardware selling out?

Options
  • 16-08-2003 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I've been going to Toms hardware for a few years for advice and benchmarks. it's lately occured to me that they've started to sell out to hardware manufacturers. today it shows a review for a backlit keyboard of sorts. I've heard these keyboards give off a bit of an annoying buzz and was expecting to see it somewhere in the review, if not even a little criticism, but instead they had bearly a bad thing to say about it. also the new additions of games reviews and business buzz articles could be seen as them widening their market of bribery. Anyone know any other good, reputable hardware sites on the web, do tell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Toms Hardware selling out?" - old news tbh. Ask Gerry :)

http://www.arstechnica.com/ is god, if a little overly detailed for your average "Joe Thumbscrew"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Old news indeed. Toms Hardware have been selling out for a long time now, no change there.

They're also trying to muscle out the other hardware sites. Good luck, Tom. May your ship sink soon. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

try http://firingsquad.gamers.com/
    they are what i use now that toms hardwares rubbish
    They converted with real american style sellout-ness-ness
    gives the whole site a cheap moneygrbbing feel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is funny you mention this topic, have been thinking the exact same thing lately.

Find myself not visiting that site anywhere nearly as i used to ..most of it seems to be tallking about his buddies in amd or another in id software or msi all of which advertise regularily on the site.

TBh THW seems more like a marketing site for various manufacturers than serious hardware reviews anymore.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Green

Here is a list of Hardware sites that I vist which have good hardware releated articles

www.aceshardware.com
    www.xbitlabs.com
    www.hardocp.com

Tom’s hardware has been selling out for a long time and as Koneko has stated they have been trying to muscle out other hardware sites. Vans hardware being one of the unfortunate sites to incur tom’s muscle tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Hardocp spends a lot of time trying to convince you that despite its many sponsors, and ignorance of non sponsor products, it is impartial. Rubbish, the site is only half useful as a news site. It has little to no technical insights these days. Kyle rants about whatever company isn't playing ball with him, and tries to use this to seem like an unbiased ordinary member of the tech community.
    Vans hardware, I'm not sure about the muscling out, as I don't think Van was entirely innocent either. Tom did do some stupid stuff regarding credit for the articles though.
    Aceshardware is a pretty damn good site, not a high volume of articles, but you can be sure they are pretty good.
    Even though tomshardware has sold out, you can't ignore them because of the sheer number and variety of reviews they carry out. Like, a comparison of every x86 cpu from the p75 up to the p4 3.06ghz is a very useful and informative article that you wouldn't see anywhere else.

Advertisement