Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

industrial fan cooling

Options
  • 16-08-2003 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

When I was working in brennans bakery taking lids off 370 degree tins they this big industrial fan beside the ovan to keep me cool, it had a diameter of about 3 feet and was reasonably portable with a light powerful motor, using a cone to direct airflow to the area of a large heatsinc, could a super cooler not be constructed, what speed could be obtained with such a cooler using overclocked current CPU technology? ...or prehaps a liquid nitrogen based cooler, anyone got intresting/wacky ways of better cooling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

make the case out of heatsink make it water tight and chuck it in a swimming pool

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If CFC's wern't banned you could just fill the case full of the stuff..

Now in theory if you have pure water you could use it - it is only when stuff is dissolved in it that it conducts electricity. (In theory - I would not recommend testing it out)

any cooling liquid would have to be non-conduction , non-flamable , non-toxic and not damage the ozone layer...

Maybe a low viscosity silicon oil...

PS. Liquid Nitrogen used to be about £1 a pint in bulk.... and would crack most components on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Unless I'm hallucinating, I've seen such systems before - motherboards submerged in mineral oil with heat exchangers/intercoolers used to maintain temperatures (was it on HardOCP?)

Also, the nutters that used liquid nitrogen to cool down some of the earlier P4's to get the kinds of speeds that the current batches are making (3.4Ghz from a 1.8GHz chip, that sort of thing)

[edit]Found a link to that crowd: http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cpu/northwood2200/ln2/ [/edit]

Aww hell, have a look at this: http://www.d128.com/features/cooling/index2.html

The idea of focussed flow from a fan of that size probably wouldn't work because of how much of a reduction of diameter you're talking about. Most of the circulated air would probably be blown back out between the fan blades.

Gadget

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could rip an intercooler of a diesel engine or rig up airvents to your fridge so the air entering the PC is cooler to begin with.

If you used USB external drives you could probably put the whole PC inside a fridge (or freezer) if you could solve the condensation problems...

(Helium has better heat transfer charasterics than air)

Advertisement