Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intoxicating Liquor Bill (Act?) 2003

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by sceptre
    If it doesn't actually require a new law from scratch, why bother.

Because the licensing system is so outdated that it practically needs a "new law from scratch".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by sovtek
    Because the licensing system is so outdated that it practically needs a "new law from scratch".
    No it doesn't. Take some time and read them. The only substantial changes that ever really need to be made are the opening hours. The outdated licensing system isn't something they're dealing with, hence no new Act. If they ever get around to changing the structure of the licensing system itself they'll require a new Act for that but they've got to make the decision to do that first. When they do, they then draft the necessary legislation. Doing it the other way around wouldn't make any sense.

The fact that something is old doesn't inherently make it no good. That evaluation should be made on the merits of the item, regardless of its age. The licensing system may be outdated but that's not just because it's old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

No it doesn't.

OK ok... will concede the point...wasn't really meant to be serious anyway. :D
    The only substantial changes that ever really need to be made are the opening hours.

I'd add that they need to be granted to anyone thats eligible to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unless they draft a consolidation Act, they'll always be amending the original Acts.
    Restating Acts is now possible, so Acts that have been amended over the years can be published as a single Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

You can't go out and have a quiet pint no more tho- can you?
    Super pubs be dammed every publican I know is a greedy bastard and would rather have anorexic wenches slapping up flat pints and watered down vodka @ exhorbitant prices and fill the place up to capacity- that's every pub, every pub I've ever been in for as far back as I can remember.
    Nobody creates a nice atmos, nobody takes pride in the pint, nobody cares- I think the Vintners Assoc will most likely kick up a scheizstorm over this, but doesn't it appear like they swept this aside- some politicians were getting pressure over public drunkeness and here's their inspired solution.

As of next year I can't smoke in a pub and now they're telling me I can't even get drunk- what they want me to do- mummify myself in nicorette patches and drink Ballygowan- stay for the atmos- WHAT ATMOS!!!

Perhaps it's time to leave this country while I can still afford it, before they bring in Prohibition, or perhaps I just need to get a few mates together and have a coup. (separate thread for that later perhaps- the boards.ie coup)

Then again does it make a difference to me? I can't really afford to go out no more anyways. Even offie costs too much nowadys thank you very much Charlie McCreevy. Perhaps I'll just brew it myself dammit.

'Sides, pubs and clubs have been doing this for years- they have these "over 21's" "we don't like your shoes" crap that they use to segragate people on sight- which basically sez- I don't like the look a you, so yer not goin' in. Pubs are always doing stuff like that- in the end they're a rich money making enterprise- and you're drunk- they call the cops- they win.

Personally I think they should bring up the drinking age to 21 anyways. I mean- who cares- teenagers are still gonna get pissed, least that way it'll keep them out of pubs and off the streets longer, means less teenyboppers jostling me and spilling my pint, and by the time they can get in- well, they'll be older, with more more drinking experience under their belts. Keep them damn leaving cert gimps off the streets too.

No no, I'm not gonna move to Utah, but I'm all for curbing public drunkedness. I think the government needs to consider something though- why do we do it? Why?
    Why are we, and historically have always been- the nation with the biggest reputation for being the biggest lushes on this planet? Why is that?

Personally I think this country suffers from a mass-depression which is why every Saturday night seems to be like this one. (cheeky plug on my behalf- sorry)
    The root of the problem is not drink- drink merely makes you drunk- it's anger and frustration and depression that turns you into a raging, regurgitating irresponsible maniac. Perhaps if unemployment and the cost of living wasn't so damn high, if standards of health, education and the general IQ of the government wasn't so damn low...

Oh dammit man! He was right- German beer @ German prices. I'll forego my Guinness for a big bubbly frothy bottle of Franziskaner or a nice Belgian Trappist beer- Europe has the right idea. I like that modestly-priced quality beer, I like that efficient public transport, I like that BMW power...

/me shuts up finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

mneahh,
    woooo, more laws for the irish public to casually disregard.

we *don't* have enough police to enforce this, apathy is at an all time high, as is proven by the fact that we pay the exorbitant prices we do for alcohol
    this is endemic of the "knuckle under" attitude that we as a nation take to most of the outrageous rip-offs we are subjected to.

we bitch and bitch and bitch, most likely in the pub, while drinking the pints we are bitching about the price of

People say booze is too expensive... yet still go out and drink in these pubs

Vote with your feet, don't go to these places.
    I havent found a pub that i've liked in ages anyway. I agree with thebeerbaron on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Could the public be convinced to stay In for a week, so that both the vintners and govt would be pressured by revenue loss, to reduce prices, tax and to revoke the new act.Failiure to address the public could lead on to another "strike" til they do treat us properly.Excesive drinking in Ireland is caused by the consumer seeking value, Ie Im paying so much, I have to get drunk kinda attitude. sorry bout the kennedy typo, its hard to imagine a soft spoken ginger scotsman causing the liberia crisis. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Ajnag
    Could the public be convinced to stay In for a week, so that both the vintners and govt would be pressured by revenue loss, to reduce prices, tax and to revoke the new act.Failiure to address the public could lead on to another "strike" til they do treat us properly.
    Could be quite effective but very difficult to get actions like that to gain support. In the absence of much else to do in this country I can't see the whole country abstaining completly from alcohol for a week. Buying drink in off-licences / supermarkets as an alternative for the week would not be hurting the government as everything there is taxed anyway.

On a personal level I would try to support such action - I'm sure it would do my health / pocket good and might not achieve anything on the first attempt but could eventually get somewhere.

Very idealistic though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AFAIK it was always illegal to be drunk in a public place, a public house is a public place. there are a few recent updates on laws which were already there but as usual never enforced.
    i was hoping there would be a definition of drunkeness similar to drink driving i.e. a legal blood alcohol limit. if the garda doesnt like the look of somebody or has a grudge against a nieghbour they can just call them drunk and arrest them with no scientific evidence at all.
    reducing the thursday opening hours.. oh dear... seems they really dont have a clue, do these guys live in world of their own with bizarre logic? everybody knew longer opening hours wouldnt lead to less street drunkeness but would cause even more! only 24 hour opening will reduce it, i wont bother explaining why, ask a dog on the street and they will tell you. i really thought we would follow england on the 24hr thing. longer opening hours misses the whole point.
    heres the bit on happy hours

20.—(1) A licensee shall not supply intoxicating liquor on the licensed premises at a reduced price during a limited period on any day.
    (2) In subsection (1), ‘‘reduced price’’ means a price less than that regularly being charged for the intoxicating liquor during an earlier period after 10.30 a.m. (12.30 p.m. on a Sunday) on the day
    concerned.
    (3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence under this section and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding—
    (a) for a first offence, \1,500, or
    (b) for a second or any subsequent offence, \2,000.

so can they still give free drink "on the house"? if so they could give buy one get one free offers. what about pubs who only open later on, their "regular" price could be happy hour price from 7 till 9 and then charge more after. there is also nothing to stop them having bottles of cheap beer/spirits which conveniently only arrived on the premises at 7 and was all sold by 9 (tell your publican!).

never thought i would say it but i would hate to be 18 again!! if i was a publican i would set an age limit of 25 just to save me the risk of fines. why didnt they rush the smoking ban through at the same speed? maybe they wanted to kill a few 1000 more people passively...

Advertisement