Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Pics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Great series of shots, and you got lighting etc. spot on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Went up the wicklow mountains to see if any aurora were about and found myself emersed in the mountains common winter wonderland state:D ;) . Here's some pictures:

DSC_1251-small.jpg

DSC_1252-small.jpg

DSC_1256-small.jpg
    Talk about your hazerdous driving conditions!! We encountered freezing fog, aswell as slushy roads
    DSC_1259-small.jpg

DSC_1271-small.jpg

Some pictures of the sky, no aurora, just urban glow, although there probably will be later, but iv'e got to be up very early :mad:
    DSC_1238-small.jpg
    A meteor shooting across the sky.
    DSC_1242-small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

As always fantastic snaps Trogdor.Was it just a slight covering up there?

It was around 2 to 3 inches i'd say but it didn't strech down from the sally gap much. I couldn't see where exactly it was deepest or how extensive it was because of the freezing fog and darkness but most of it seemed to be around kippure/sally gap area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Great pics and a nice snap of the meteor ;).

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote:
    It was around 2 to 3 inches i'd say but it didn't strech down from the sally gap much. I couldn't see where exactly it was deepest or how extensive it was because of the freezing fog and darkness but most of it seemed to be around kippure/sally gap area
    Good stuff.
    Theres a nice covering on croghan mt near me, this evening,it was snowing down to about 1500ft this afternoon.

Some great views today, here's a few attempts at trying to capture them
    Firstly the sunsets, the first was last night and second and third are tonight, the fog made the sun appear very odd.

DSC_1280-small.jpg

DSC_1332-small.jpg

DSC_1381-small.jpg

And then the fog

DSC_1315-small.jpg

DSC_1316-small.jpg

DSC_1345-small.jpg

DSC_1346-small.jpg

DSC_1378-small.jpg

And some wildlife, they only seem to come out in the fog:P
    DSC_1389-small.jpg

DSC_1354-small.jpg
    P.S. sorry about all the pictures this page must be impossible to load for anyone without bb with all my pics clogging it up:(

Nice pics again Trogdor :). Regarding the pics sizes they are fine for me but not all users would agree. This site runs on phpbb and Im aware of a plugin that runs on phpbb which allows users to reduce image sizes down to thumbnail sizes, but Im not sure that its been implemented here. Maybe you could mentioned this in feedback to see if a mod can mention it to an admin.

Like the snap of the VP2,had to get that one in didnt you:D

If your concerned with the amount of bandwidth your pics are taking up on a page,try uploading them each as an attachment in "Go Advance".Otherwise keep posting them pics.

Not pictures but i thought i'd post them here, a few videos i made with my new editing software which i got for chrimbo:D
    A video of the storm on the 3 of December and another of timelapse convection i also redid my salzburg video and embedded them all in webpages which took some work but it was worth it
    http://www.brayweather.com/convection_video.html
    http://www.brayweather.com/storm3-12-06_video.html
    http://www.brayweather.com/salzburg_video.html

• Advertisement

Very impressive,nice work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Surrey Snow

These pictures were taken on the morning of 22nd Dec 2006 from my rear garden.

This was the second of 2 consecutive "Ice Days".

ice1940x705ln7.jpg

ice2940x705ev2.jpg

ice3940x705sd6.jpg

ice4940x705rs7.jpg

ice5705x940ip9.jpg

ice6940x705rb4.jpg

ice7940x705rg7.jpg

ice8940x705xi2.jpg

SS

Here's the pictures from the 80's as promised, wasn't around myself, these are taken by my parents;) and scanned up by me:D . Hope you enjoy the trip to the past.
    http://www.brayweather.com/80's.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just had a quick gander at your site. Some very good shots there, i especially like the shot of the thunderstorm (taken from the winegates..)

Also the old photos are good show of what it was like when we actually got decent falls of snow..

trogdor wrote:
    Here's the pictures from the 80's as promised, wasn't around myself, these are taken by my parents;) and scanned up by me:D . Hope you enjoy the trip to the past.

Great shots:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭arctictree

trogdor wrote:

Cool pics!! I was living in Greystones at the time. I must ask my parents if they have any photos - I'm nearly sure they do.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ok, here are a few pictures of a snow day, the pics were taken here in Carlow town, but I cant put a year on them, taking into account the age of my little bro and the fact we had a car I'd guess it was either jan/feb 1995, or perhaps jan/feb '96. Do any of those times ring any bells as regards snow? I know the snow lasted for a couple of days, fell on a Friday night/early hours of a Saturday morning, and was still about the following day.

Anyhoo, the pics (apologies to those on dial up, I couldnt attach the files)

snowoncar.jpg
    Snow on our car

thundersnow.jpg
    In the park, while over there there was a thunder shower of snow! The heaviest shower of snow I have ever seen, it was mad! :D

uponthehill.jpg
    Up on a hill during that heavy shower. We rolled a massive ball of snow over in the park too, but I cant find any pics of it, darn!

lastsnowman.jpg
    Me and my little bro, unfortunately for both of us, this was the last half decent snowman we ever made.........so far ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Great shots! It reminds me of playing in the snow with my brothers too.Ah great times:)
    Thanks for uploading the photos.

I can confirm that it's snowing on Kippure:D:D. WAsn't actually much snow around the sally gap so we decided to take a walk into the cloud on Kippure after about 5 minutes we were into blizzard conditions but it was little snow grains which really stung. my thermometre was reading -9C:eek: :eek: but that was probably windchill. We walked right to the top and on the way back down it really started to get going, couldn't see more than about 10 metres in front of you and it was starting to drift. Have a few pictures but not many will post in a while, video soon aswell:D.
    silverski wrote:
    Wonder where the light snow was falling in Bray......
    In seapoint court, by the harbour:)
    EDIT: here they are
    DSC_1955-small.jpg
    DSC_1958-small.jpg
    And as conditions continued to worsen
    DSC_1963-small.jpg
    DSC_1964-small.jpg
    DSC_1967-small.jpg

4:00am hail cover.
    DSC_1980-small.jpg
    DSC_1981-small.jpg
    DSC_1982-small.jpg

• Advertisement

This snowfall seems to be boomeranging around dublin missing us altogether, maybe that will change:(. Nice pics though would like to see a vid as I cant see myself driving up to kippure in my humble 1ltr. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Seems to have stopped now....:( darn! Ah well, wasnt expecting that, so it was nice, anyhoo, a quick pic....

snow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Still snow here

From the landing window :

snow220107b.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Awesome pictures Trogdor! Can i go with you up the mountains next time?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some pics from the blizzard at 8am this morning. Pics aren't great but you get the idea! I think the temp was 0.7 and the wind was howling. Had to fix part of the shed roof and my hands were frozen!!

snowmonday002.jpg

snowmonday003.jpg

snowmonday004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Hal1 wrote:
    This snowfall seems to be boomeranging around dublin missing us altogether, maybe that will change:(. Nice pics though would like to see a vid as I cant see myself driving up to kippure in my humble 1ltr. :o
    Here's the video
    http://www.brayweather.com/blizzard_video.html
    Didn't get quite as good footage as i thought i had and the battery died before we reached the top but anyway.

Good stuff-you have similar taste in music to Bren ;)

Thats not a blizzard though, the visibility is too good.It's just a blustery snow shower by the looks of things.

You know those pics of Bray you posted on your site from the 80's? They were the result of a blizzard!
    Imagine what it was like on that road to Kippure when it was like that down at sea level in Bray :)

Tristrame wrote:
    Good stuff-you have similar taste in music to Bren ;)

Thats not a blizzard though, the visibility is too good.It's just a blustery snow shower by the looks of things.

You know those pics of Bray you posted on your site from the 80's? They were the result of a blizzard!
    Imagine what it was like on that road to Kippure when it was like that down at sea level in Bray :)
    Yeh, not a blizzard there, but as i said the battery died before we got to the top and it really got going:( . I can only imagine what it would have been like on the kippure road in 82 or 87. Did the meltwaters ever cause alot of trouble after the really snowy spells?

• Advertisement

not really as far as I can remember.

You probably saw my attached photos in the wintry precip thread also taken last week on croghan mt.

The drifts up there in '82 were to the tree tops ie 35 to 40 ft.I know the road to Kippure was completely blocked for over 2 weeks! so you wouldnt have got up there without a chopper.

Advertisement