Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phone rip off

• 16-08-2003 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Why is it that Ireland gets so ripped off by the mobile phone networks here?
    Handsets and contracts are outrageously priced for a country with the highest mobile phone penetration rate in Europe.

For instance, I am going to get a Sony Ericsson T610 in Belfast next week on O2 UK. This will cost me about £30 (just over 40 euro), and my contract will cost £20 per month, this includes 500 off peak cross network minutes, 500 texts (which includes media messaging!), and 500 WAP minutes per month.

Is there any contract like this in the republic? I think not. Contracts are such bad value here that the majority of mobile phone owners are on a pay as you go deal!

And how is it that the same type of handset on o2/vodafone here would cost at least 400 euro? And also would be on the market here a few months after launch in the UK?

How can they explain it? o2 is a europe wide operator, so they can't legitimately blame it on lack of competition (especially as there are two other operators here). Same with vodafone.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by eth0_
    Comreg, Competition Authority. Surprised?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Sort of related to this thread...

I can understand new prepay phones being more expensive then new contract phones as the latter provide revenue for 12 months min. While the former could be unlocked and the sims never used.

But when it comes to upgrading, surely both should be fairly equal, that is the time spent with the provider should be taken into consideration when calculating the discount.

Sadly no, this is not the case for the prepay customer.

The only option is a measly 10 euro discount, and a limited selection of phones.

What a ripoff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Only 2 mobile national phone networks. The quicker someone gives meteor money to finish off their network and the quicker 3 launch the better.

As Adam says Comreg have a lot to answer for with the rip off packages on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Fungus
    Only 2 mobile national phone networks. The quicker someone gives meteor money to finish off their network and the quicker 3 launch the better.

That shouldn't matter though, (we have three operators btw :P ) the two biggies are pan european networks, why does Ireland get ripped off and not other countries they operate in? I mean, o2 are bringing in national rate calls to cover N Ireland and the republic in the one price bracket, why can't they give us a decent deal on phones here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Fungus
    The quicker someone gives meteor money to finish off their network
    They've basically done all they're going to do. Their licence requires 80% coverage of the population. That's about 30% of the country by land area.

Having said that both the Eircell and Digifone licences had the same stipulation but they've managed to get up to around 99% and 98% respectively. Posts from Muck in the IOFFL forum (and Muck generally both knows his stuff and has access to some tasty inside info) seem to indicate that Meteor are stopping where they are for the next while.

I agree with eth0_ though - it shouldn't matter. They do it because they can. Oftel have forced the UK mobile operators to drop prices on a number of occasions. There have been no corresponding moves from Comreg here. Even the recent Eircom fixed-line call price drops, abysmal as they were, were countered by allowing them to put up fixed-line rental charges. Which is irrelevant to mobile charges but it works as an indicator of incompetence.

Handsets have been more expensive down south since forever. Bundled minutes have been far worse value down south since forever. they've had plenty of time to notice but Comreg/ODTR/Competition Authority have done sod all about it. They should have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

(we have three operators btw :P )

I still reckon we have 2 operators, until Meteor coverage improves they can't be counted (They calim 70% covarage but I know people who are supposed to be in areas covered who can't get a signal)

The phone companies will screw everyone over while people pay them the prices they ask. We may not have much choice in the operator but if your going pay as you go your better off getting a phone at an online shop (Lot's of choice) and then buying a sim card for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jongore
    I still reckon we have 2 operators, until Meteor coverage improves they can't be counted (They calim 70% covarage but I know people who are supposed to be in areas covered who can't get a signal)
    My sister can't get O2 coverage in her house in Cork city but she doesn't go around saying that we've only one operator.

Meteor rollout has basically stopped. Stopped. They've fulfilled the basic coverage requirements of their licence and won't be plonking down any more major 2G transmitters. That means that for the forseeable future, this is their coverage. They will add some minor transmitters in urban areas (mainly in Dublin) but for the next five years-odd, the map I've linked to is all you're going to get.

If it makes it easier, when you say "2" I can interpret it as "3" and vice-versa:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Side topic, but i was in the Eircom store in Henry Street last week, and was saw a advert for G3 (or 3G) a new company who will offer WIFI in Ireland. Does this mean another mobile provider entering the market? Can only be a good thing. Any word on when 3G (3rd Generation) will arrive in the Emerald Isle?

Advertisement