Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does this setup look?

• 16-08-2003 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Considering upgrading my current antique. (P3-450, GeForce2 Ultra, 16G HDD)

Just been having a browse through Komplett, and so far, this is what I've come up with.

Upgrade Kit AMD XP2400+
    Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM
    NEC DVD recorder
    Gainward GeForce FX 5600 256MB

I'm trying to make things as cost effective as possible. So any suggestions of cheaper, yet equally effective parts would be most welcome.

Also, will my current 200W power supply cut the mustard, or am I going to have to fork out for a new case?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Oops, my bad, I've posted this in the wrong forum. Could a kind mod please move this to the technology forum?

That's what I get for not reading the instructions first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll need a good quality 330w to run that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved, because you asked nicely. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thankyou both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

That 5600 is an Ultra?

Cheap for €180, Its a good card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I've heard crazy things about the KT400 chipset - lock-ups and the like - but I suppose you can't believe everything you read... scan the tech review sites yourself regarding the board...

best mobo's available, according to nearly all the tech sites, magazines I've read, are the A7N8X deluxe (I have one) and the Abit NF7-S

might be worth going up to a 333mhz CPU... barton 2500 are only €100...

A DVD recorder? I can't see much point in the expense unless
    a) you have big data storage needs
    b) actually want to create DVD's

of course, if the answer to either of these questions is 'Yes' well then there's a lot of point:D

If cost is an issue the Sapphire Radeon 9100 Atlantis 128mb is the best budget card about too...

And yeah - I reckon you'd need 300/350 watts to be safe... you can get a nice case with PSU for under €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

actually - I just had a look at the FX5600 256MB and it sure rocks... at about twice the cost of the 9100 it seems to be pretty good value still....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I have a board based on the Via KT400, an MSI KT4 Ultra. I'm very happy with it, no funny problems or lockups. All my hardware works fine, no complaints.

I've built a machine with an Asus A7N8X, and I'd recommend them, nice board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Tzetze

Upgrade Kit AMD XP2400+

ive got all the components in this kit & they all perform quiet nicely. ive got no complaints with the mobo, i got it as i wanted loads of usb ports & pci cards etc, and it fits that bill in spades.

paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Tzetze

Since you'd have to buy a new PSU, I'd also consider buying a new case if the PSU covers the CPU. In that scenerio, heat can get trapped under the PSU and your system can run a bit hot.

Most new cases I've seen have the PSU re-orientated so not to cause this problem, and some have an opening for a case fan just behind the CPU.

Aside
    I've an Abit KD7 (KT-400) and have never had a prob - a solid performer :D, but if your budget could stretch I would seriously look at one of the Abit NF7 series.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement