Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards ISP update. :^/

Options
  • 16-08-2003 7:19pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to write this sooner but, well, real life intruded and this got pushed down the list.

I have to write a complete review but if you look over my previous posts and add this update to it you'll have a good idea where we're at...

...which is nowhere. I'm afraid to say that the market is just not ready to do what we wanted to do. There are various issues with each of the technologies but the overall problem is that all the various carriers want you to do is rebadge their product and flog it to anyone you can.

Thats not what I wanted to do. I'm not looking for money from this idea, I just wanted to create a better offering for an honest fee. That, it seems, is not possible in the current climate, you sell what they give you to sell and you take your commission. You cant affect the quality of what you sell or the support afterwards and thats not a runner in my book.

I'm not giving up but I'm putting the idea on hold for a short while to let the market mature and let companies come to the conclusion that with sites like us watching, quality of service, of support, of throughput and of latency are going to be issues they are going to have to compete on.

I wish I could help but we just arent big enough to force things in the current market and the feeding frenzy for customers is still very much in action. With that happening, noone wants to think about anything except grabbing customers as quickly as possible. Maybe soon, I dunno but I cant get the product I want to sell you all and so I'm not going to accept second rate crap.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Thats unfortunate but not wholly unexpected. :( The telco business in general here is still far too closed-off to new entrants and comreg seem happy to let that continue. Hmph.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It is indeed very unfortunate that this could not happen at this time.
    But as you said maybe the market might mature at some stage and then things can be put right.

I guess at this stage all we can do is hold tight anfd hope this happens sooner rather then later!

Advertisement