Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making payments in Europe

Options
  • 16-08-2003 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Google Adsense pays out monthly in US dollar cheques if your earnings for the month reach €100 or more. I haven't earned that much yet, but I'm assuming that there'll be no problem lodging the cheque when I get it, however I seem to remember that one of the ongoing issues with the Euro is that cheques aren't valid across borders, so is there an equivalent way of doing this in Europe? It would need to be as simple as the Google process.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If a cheque is posted to you from a foreign country, it can still be loedged in via your local bank branch - however, it will take longer to clear (in the case of the US I've seen it take a month or so - depends on the individual banks I guess)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Google Adsense pays out monthly in US dollar cheques if your earnings for the month reach €100 or more. I haven't earned that much yet, but I'm assuming that there'll be no problem lodging the cheque when I get it, however I seem to remember that one of the ongoing issues with the Euro is that cheques aren't valid across borders, so is there an equivalent way of doing this in Europe? It would need to be as simple as the Google process.

adam

Since July 1 cross-border elctronic transfers have gone downin rpice (EU directive) to a piddling amount. SO you can get European companies to lodge directly to your account - you will need to supply account number and IBAN & BIC (European sorting code). The IBAN & BIC numbers will be on your statements..

Edit: after much searching here's the relevant link - the general idea applies to all banks :

http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/business/online_banking/border/
    The Bank of Ireland business website has details of the rates - the others weren't up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 walsheliz

Any idea what should be the the cost of sending money to an account in Holland if I go into the bank and ask them to do it ie not via online banking??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's extremely useful to know, thanks parsi.

adam

Advertisement