Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q's about 7250i + swoping from voda to O2

• 16-08-2003 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Im thinking of geting a 7250i anyone wanna give me some info on it? is it good...bad? could be better etc. i have a gx10 so anything wil be better!

And ive been a member of Vodafone for a long time now,spent lots and lots with them,if i threaten to swop do u think they will give me some sorta special offer......anyone know ? or tried this?

Thanks for help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you threaten to cease, they will prob offer u an upgrade, 40 quid off and 20 quid a month or ur rental for a few months.... That is, if you threaten to move networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I did this over the bank holiday weekend. The only way to get the 7250 on vodafone is to get it sim-free its not one of their official hones yet. And if you go down that route you can get them mail order from the uk for about €380 (from memory) which is cheaper than you can get over here. Also you can get the 7250i for the same price - it has improved night mode for the camera and an ehanced web browser.

The guy in the vodafone shop told me it was not available until the autumn because of 'compatability testing'

I've heard that the real reason is that they would rather sell you the sharp or the panasonic because they get a much better price on them, which means they can flog it to us for the same as a nokia and make loads more money - feckers

After this I thought screw you and moved myself to O2 keeping my 087 number. I did this on the bank holiday weekend, they basically send you away for a couple of hours after you sign the contract whilst you get transfered between networks. You cant get your new phone until you have been sucessfully transfered.

O2 send you a text message when you are transfered and then you go back and pick up your phone. In my case I transfered on the Saturday and they didnt finish sorting me out til the monday. Not a good start! (they told me they are getting 2500 transfers a day tho!!)

As for the phone - I like it but it does have a few niggles - the screens not the best (certainly I think the sharp screen is better) - rather dark but it does the job, viewing the pics aint too good. The actual pics when viewed on a pc look ok.

If ur like me and bought the phone partially coz it has a radio then the new headphones and socket arrangement arent as good as the jack on the older nokias. The 'popaport' (as they call it) connection on the headphones sticks over the edge of the phone so its very easy to knock it off if the phone is in your pocket which can be a pain.

But as I said - a coupla niggles but nothing that makes me regret moving phones and networks

Good luck!

I've heard that the real reason is that they would rather sell you the sharp or the panasonic because they get a much better price on them, which means they can flog it to us for the same as a nokia and make loads more money

Bull****

(they told me they are getting 2500 transfers a day tho!!)

Bull****

I'll give you the second bull**** coz thats what i thought..

But what do you base the first one on? I read that on a respected industry website..that I am more inclined to believe than someone whos only capable of typing one word.

You are right, I wouldnt know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

i was told by a guy in a vodafone shop yesterday that I could get the 7250 but only at the handsome price of €500.

On the issue of porting, my girlfriend ported to Voda yesterday and it still hasnt come thru :(

Yeah it seems there is a few hiccups in the process.

Noticed a few people that ported from O2 to Vodafone who are unable to recieve calls from either O2 or Meteor, yet hey can rec calls from Vodafone and Eircom number no probs.

This is only happening with O2 to Vodafone ports, a batch has been with 02 for a few day but there has been no reply back from O2. Seemingly O2 are being less co-operative than Meteor or Vodafone in the whole process. Sure that is a rumour that cannot be backed up, just heard a few people muttering it amoung each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    I've heard that the real reason is that they would rather sell you the sharp or the panasonic because they get a much better price on them, which means they can flog it to us for the same as a nokia and make loads more money - feckers

it is true they pushed the Sharp model above the other Live! handsets when they set-up their in-store Live! demos - the people manning the 'booths' were given instructions to highlight the Sharp model and explain that it was exclusive to Vodafone - as Vodafone had ordered stock GX-10s customised/branded to their to their network they had plenty of units to shift...

BrianG

It is true that they do not want manufacturers such as nokia controlling what they do service wise, this is why they went with the Sharp handset, it allowed them to do what they want. This is as much to do with services than it is money. A good comparison is the control that Microsoft now have over the PC world and how PC manufacturers only really have MS to choose from. Linux is making a little but of head way but still isnt really at the races.

I would bet money that Vodafone do not purposely delay the release of new handsets from nokia and other manufactures just to stifle competition, but I will accept they purposely push the GX10 as it is effectively their own branded handset.

Mind you, we all know **** all, so I will accept I may be wrong. Just going on the information I was given.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Mind you, we all know **** all

that's quite a far reaching statement you make on behalf of everyone... it's usually wiser to stick to speaking on behalf of oneself

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

(they told me they are getting 2500 transfers a day tho!!)

That is actually bull****. :)
    Mind you, we all know **** all

Nope!

Teeth.

Just realised something, it is only in Ireland that handsets are delayed. Vodafone's main markets such as the UK and Germany both have the handset mentioned above for sometime now.

I doubt there is some sort of strategy in Ireland with its 1.7 million customers when its obviously not in operation in countries with around 20 million customers.

Nope!

Want to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

'fraid not. :|

Teeth.

Excellent, I love the whole mysterious thing you have going on there.

Your so hot right now :p

that's quite a far reaching statement you make on behalf of everyone... it's usually wiser to stick to speaking on behalf of oneself

Obviously referring to the possible use of underhand tactics on Vodafone's behalf in order to reduce handset sales of manufacturers other than Sharp. We know f*** all about that, all speculation.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Obviously

to oneself :)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Who says that 2500 incoming ports to the O2 network is bull****?

What do you base this on?

Emmo

Because I was told it was wrong.

I am not gonna get into a big discussion about it though.. Way of topic and I dont have official figures, nor do you I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    they told me they are getting 2500 transfers a day
    Double that for the true figure. O2 are on the ball for FMNP. At the moment, for every single customer Vodafone ports over, O2 port 50.

Back on topic! :)

Tickle, the 7250i is a lovely little phone. It's small, light-weight, fit's nicely in the hand and the battery life is incredible. I normally get a good 4 days out of it with extensive use of the radio, camera, text's & calls. I find the keys to be very easy & comfortable to text with, although some people have commented on it's apparently 'cheap plastic' feel. The loudspeaker is impressively loud for use on calls and for the radio.

Lastly, the camera is strictly ok. The max. res of the camera images is 352x288, which isn't great but it does the job for party pics and the like.

It should be out on the Vodafone network in about one month. I know it costs a fair bit though, maybe look into getting a 7250? Anyways, good luck!

Originally posted by Fidelis
    It should be out on the Vodafone network in about one month. I know it costs a fair bit though, maybe look into getting a 7250? Anyways, good luck!

Just to clarify Fidelis is it the 7250 or the 7250i that is out on vodaphone? - coz the one I bought from o2 on the bank hols is a 7250
    Not that there seems a lot of difference the 'i' has an Xhtml browser and the camera software has been improved and thats about it.

Incidentally I do find the 3 topmost buttons fiddly. Its tricky getting the left and right scroll keys on the 4 scroll way key and its easy to press red/green rather than the 2 select buttons at the top of the keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Should have made that a little clearer, the Nokia 7250i should be out in about a months time. You're right though, there really isn't much difference between the 7250 and the 'i' variant. As you mentioned, the 'i' has xhtml and improved camera functionality (just a night vision mode which isn't great because everything turns green!). These extra features aren't worth it to be honest. Although, the 'i' does have the option of a grid menu, a la the N3650/N7650, which I prefer over the usual vertical scroll menu. Personal taste, I guess.

Never had that problem with the top 3 keys myself, always found them to be just the right size for my fingers!

Well you presume wrong.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Would the Vodafone and O2, ahem... individuals please stop the bickering or I will have to close this thread.

I would be interested to see them. Do you fancy posting them?

Fancy posting details of new pricing initiatives or perhaps sctive subscribers lists?

Didnt think so

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement