Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Impressions!

• 16-08-2003 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I Know the season has only just started & he only got 30 minutes on the pitch .... but for all of those who watched the highlights tonight, what are peoples first impressions of Ronaldo??

I know most if you know that I'm a United fan, but I like to think I can be objective when needed!

That being said, IMHO, he looks like he'll be a huge success in the Premiership!!

Quick, skillfull & brave. From the tackles he rode today, it looks like he can take the knocks too!!

I'm probably going to be destroyed by all the non United fans, but I'm interested in everyones' opinion on this matter!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only saw him on the Premiership on N2 but he looked good - agile accurate and strong. What more do you need - bastards! Another player Houllier failed to get despite looking...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by mike65
    Another player Houllier failed to get despite looking...

Mike.

Ah but Mike we have another up and coming promising with lots of potential french lad arriving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

That being said, IMHO, he looks like he'll be a huge success in the Premiership!!

I second that and would also like to add he looks like he will be a huge success on any stage of football. What a hot player he is...my god he was good today. I want to see how he performs on a cold wintery day when the ground is rock solid and the rain is pooring. Very looking forward to a mid season fixture with arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

jees houllier doesnt get a break does he??
    yeah a shrewd signing
    gettim ince :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

very similar to what i said after the Sporting v Man Utd game. the lad is a genius and is going to be huge in a few years. i would like him at Arsenal :(

• Advertisement

Imagine the ego that lad must have...hes a magician on the ball.

Did you see him playing down the left and right flanks today??? Hes so effective...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

He was very good tricks and skill step overs but Boltons def was abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fantastic start for ronaldo . Its early days yet but on first impressions it looks like yet another master stroke for FERGIE.

Djemba Djemba and Howard look like good players too so it looks like Utdl have made some excellent signings in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im more confident this year than i was last year, Ronaldo looked class. He was able to cross with both feet attack players, tricks the lot. Also seems to have a fair bit of pace :)

Howard made an amazing save (that lob attempt), can't believe he got his fingers to that. Poor Barthez would never have saved it, too damn short ;)

Djemba Djemba also looks good and Fortune is looking a much better player this season for me. I dont fear when he has the ball anymore :D

Forlan was disappointing i think tho it was a nice flick Ruuds goal who incidentall misses again from the peno spot :( Wasn't a abd penalty either but i think Goalies have done their homework as he loves to always put it in the same spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

it will be interesting to see how Ronaldo will do on a cold rainy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

a good consolation prize for missing out on ronaldinho!

imagine that kind of talent at liverpool, glad utd out bid the rest, houllier must be kicking himself, once again fergie has spotted a needle in a haystack, there aint many 18-yr-olds that can make immediate impacts at a new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Even if GH wanted to sign him, United have first preference with his first club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Whats this Fergie found a needle in a haystick? Houllier was in talks since may. Jeez some people are full of ****. He has been an international since the age of 14. He is good and everything but lets put it into perspective here. He came on late on in the game and had the fresh legs the Bolton defence couldn't deal with. It is all hype at this stage and he is very exciting. I said that ages ago. But lets see how he gets on against the big guys and when he plays the full 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

when you have feet as quick ronaldo a fantastic footballing brain for an 18yr old it won't matter who he's against. you think he was bought to take on bolton defenders when they're half dead after 60 minutes in the sun ?

Think again.

What happened to those talks between ronaldo and houllier again? I seem to forget...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They couldn't go any further because Utd had first option on him, like has already been said.

Do us a favour, stop posting until your average drops below double figures, thanks.

Oh ye thats what it was...

No i wont stop posting. Its not very accurate. I dont post that many a day. When i first joined, i was getting all help with my broadband etc and thats why its so high.

:

Dont mind them ubuah Keep spreading the word.:D

Having just watched Kewell play against Chelsea I for one would much rather what I saw yesterday at old trafford. The fact that it was produced by an 18 year old is all the more exciting.

hehe i sure will...:D

kewell was ok but Chelsea had liverpool contained !!!

They cudnt get a shot on goal second half!!!

Damn penalty...shudnt have been a retake.

Pool for relegation!! :cool: just messing obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

damn you talk a load of ****
    12m for an 18 year old is hardly a "bargain"

he looked good, i'm sure he'll be a star
    adequate to replace beckham, he has a gay looking spice boy hairstyle, says a lot about him, maybe he will have his own line of clothing in a few years too

le tallec could impress as well, if he ever got a chance

slur alex spotted a needle in a haystack lol

poor barthez didn't make the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

He came on late on in the game and had the fresh legs the Bolton defence couldn't deal with.
    So his crossing is affected by the tirednes of the opposition, thats a new one to me. True the fact they were tired helped him get into crossing positions but his final ball seemed to be very very good.

he has a gay looking spice boy hairstyle

but is it really gay? Or are u just a jealous guy?

The guy is an incredibly exciting player. I really want to see more of him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea lads only one game is gone. and it was bolton. a sure bet for the drop this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

They don't give the No. 7 shirt to just anybody. the boy is obviously a genius. Consider that Real Madrid wanted him, thats good enough for me. Time to sort out another defender for Champions League. Ayala would be good!

wat about puyol? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

oh yea sorry getiing the number 7 shirt automatically means your a legend... just like Vlad Smicer for liverpool. this added pressure of having a past glorys shirt is nothing. ronaldo was out to impress today, lets see if he can do it week in week out.

if he does i'll eat my keyboard ;)

if he does i'll eat my keyboard

Hopefully your only keyboard:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

honestly, if any of you lot had half a brain id begin to worry.
    as it is, collectively you dont manage it.
    never heard such unjustified rubbish in all my days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah but Mike we have another up and coming promising with lots of potential french lad arriving

Well I'll tell you, I'd rather Le Tallec and Pongolle for £6million than Ronaldo for £12million. Sure he looked decent against Bolton, but why not wait until the end of the season to judge him. To my mind Le Tallac is every bit as exciting and promising, and just a quarter of the price.

• Advertisement

Le Tallec and Pongolle have talent, i dont doubt it. They are been kept in reserves and brought through slowly, the way to do it but Ronaldo was impressive for thirty minutes or so. i for one want to see more of the lad but if he is half as good as they say he will be a bargain at 12million.

What about Kleberson, the forgotton man. I bet you any money 5.9million over 18 months is a very good deal. World cup winner. You pay that nowadays for a "Journey Man".

As was rightly pointed out we cant judge until end of season but people are excited by the start we saw on saturday and rightly so.

utd spotted ronaldo, 9months ago. nobody had heard of him then. houllier only jumped on the bandwagan in may.

if le tallec and pongolle are so highly rated, how come houllier doesnt play them? i know they've won all sorts of underage stuff and are french u-21 internationals but leaving them in the reserves is just plain stupid. how the hell does heskey get in in front of them?? diouf aswell. they're 2 stars in the making but just play them houllier. no diley-dallying.

pongolle especially is a great talent. has fantastic pace. is miles better than the donkey up front they have now.

comparing vladimir smicer to ronaldo, thats an insult to ronaldo. ronaldo wasnt a cheap foreign import like smicer, he's a quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

first impressions are hes like pires except with more pace

however that is based on 30 minutes of play so lets just relax and comeback to this thread at christmas time and we'll see how he's getting on then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

if le tallec and pongolle are so highly rated, how come houllier doesnt play them?

Because they've been at the club for a grand total of one Premiership game, and both featured heavily in pre-season.....

and kewell and finnan have been at the club for grand total of 1 premiership game.

he didnt even have them on the bench i dont think. why start heskey when you've 2 better players in your side? bad management AGAIN. taking on diouf and going with 3 up front, it probably cost them 2 points in the end.

:D

Heskey really is a waste, big lad, strong, good enough for Bolton never Liverpool and Diouf is contender for worse buy ever in premeirship. Remember UEFA cup and spitting, he is good at something.

I agree if you are old enough you are good enough but i also agree that young talent has be brought through a bit at a time, no mad rush!

What i don't get is how a club like Man U can get rid of beckham at 5.25 million up front?? Madness, should be 30 million up front for a player like that.

As i was born Man U i feel let down by the yearly profit margins and when players Like Crespo(15m) Nesta(12m) and Cannavaro(13m) were sold last summer. Lazio still owed utd money at that stage and could have had one of Crespo or nesta for peanuts. They will only be great when they buy the TOP PLAYERS. ronaldo does look top drawer.

More Please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by donhughberto
    As i was born Man U i feel let down by the yearly profit margins and when players Like Crespo(15m) Nesta(12m) and Cannavaro(13m) were sold last summer. Lazio still owed utd money at that stage and could have had one of Crespo or nesta for peanuts. They will only be great when they buy the TOP PLAYERS. ronaldo does look top drawer

I think a few seasons ago when fergie had planned to retire he would have bought a player like Crespo and so on as a quick fix. But now that he feels he may stay for 4 or 5 years more he is going back to his old method of getting players when they are young developing them. as I've stated in an earlier thread here is what the Team of the future could be

***************Howard*******************

John O' Shea Rio Brown Pugh

Fletcher Djemba Kleberson Richardson

***************Ronaldo*******************

***************Bellion****************

Fergie has also learned from the Seba Veron situation. With regard to the Ronaldo, That was the best 1/2 hour debut I think I've ever seen( although Tino Asprillia debut for Newcastle comes close). I hope that it continues. The crowd seem to have the same buzz about him as they did about Eric the King and when Giggsy first burst on the scene

Whatever happaned to Asprilla? He was too aggressive or something wasn't he?

too greedy, wanted big wages. also had poor temperment. think he's back playing for a colombian side now although he's supposed to have just been released by universidad de chile after wage demands were too high. so i dunno wat he's at now.

did a runner after accepting deal with darlington.
    that would have been fun! a 3rd div side.

Advertisement