Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBPost Today "Takeup of DSL in Ireland is DISMAL and so say BOTH Esat and Eircom

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I'm glad they published some of our responses - that together with perhaps drawing the matter to Adrians attention is all that could be hoped for in this particular instance.

So next time - when the €ircon spin doctors get their rubbish printed - same rules apply. Cant let any €ircon spin pass without it being bodychecked...and the more people that respond, the more credibility our argument will have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well done lads, and welcome to our guests from the SBP. Sign up and say hello! :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

wohey ... I suppose I should point out that I'm Aodhán Cullen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Excellent work, folks, and the same to everyone who contacted Adrian.

It's always a pleasure to see the good ol' telco-nemesis in action :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

http://www.sbpost.ie/web/Sitemap/1.9did-338419932-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FLetters.asp
    Times are changing

From Caitlin O'Connor, Head of Market Development, Irish broadband

Aodhan Cullen voiced his reasons for the dismal take up of DSL in Ireland (SBP 24/08/ 03).Truly below all expectations! According to Aodhan, the standard of broadband DSL contention in Ireland, at 48:1, does not equate to a quality product.

I must point out that DSL is now not the only broadband choice available to consumers and businesses in the Irish marketplace. Wireless broadband products provide higher quality with lower contention.

Irish Broadband is a true broadband service provider providing "flat rate always-on internet connections at superior speeds". Irish Broadband, a wireless provider, does not require customers to have a phone line, and provides leased line equivalent connections at below DSL prices.

A typical home user will have acontention of 20:1, while a superior service at 4:1 is also available. The icing on the cake is that together with being synchronous (the same speed upstream as downstream) Irish Broadband's service is available from a mere €1.16 per day (e35 per month).

This is a saving of 29 per cent (e12 per month) over a DSL service that has higher contention and a lower downstream speed to upstream speed.

With wireless broadband, no longer is the last mile a stumbling block. Home users or business need to have a dedicated phone line in order to have fast always-on internet access.

Times are changing!

Sandyford Industrial Estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just add my voice to that, well done all who sent in e-mails to Adrian and the SBP, just shows what a well thought out e-mail can do as regards informing the journos of the real problem with BB take up in ireland.

I also agree that any Drivel that spouts from the mouths of Eircon should be immediately be bitched slapped down for the bile it really is in a thoughtful and respectful manner, no point in sending "you should do your job e-mails", present your argument clearly and dont vent wont get ye anywhere

Well done again

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Just a quick and probably pointless comment. But here goes. Myself and all my friends in college are aware of broadband - and none of us have it. The reason is not the pricing, or the cap but the fact that a 12 month contract is needed and we change houses every 9 months ( i agree with the 12 month contract, i'm not bitching at that). I have no idea where i will be living this time next year, and neither do they. Until i have a permanent fixed abode (a house where i'm sure i'll be living for several years) then i will avail of broadband. The only reason i am posting this is that there are 20-30 people i know in this college that feel the exact same. So maybe this is the same with alot of other students throughout the country, and thus another reason for the slow take up?

Advertisement