Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netsource Domain Registration

• 17-08-2003 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

Netsource asks for €10/month+VAT 21% = €145 as yearly charges to register a domain, as condition for their SoHo package.

1. What type of domain do they offer for this fee: .ie? .com? .net?

2. How much other ISPs are usually charging for the same?

3. Who is ultimately the body in charge of domain registration? How much to they charge? How much profit is Netsource making out of this?

Thanks,
    Butch

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

For that type of money i'd say it's a full domain, probably .com or .net.

Other ISP's will charge in and around the same amount - exactly how is this tied up with your hosting package? Is this just a domain name that you'll have to pay them more to host or is this a 'fully hosted' domain?

Netsource are a domain registrar, so they'll probably be dealing direct with the domain registry, much the same as register.ie do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Butch

Originally posted by Red Alert

Other ISP's will charge in and around the same amount - exactly how is this tied up with your hosting package? Is this just a domain name that you'll have to pay them more to host or is this a 'fully hosted' domain?

AFAIK the charge is just the domain name, no hosting.

Netsource SoHo is not a hosting package, just a basic ISP service for RADSL.

Their SoHo Order form specifies "Netsource have a minimum service requirement of a domain name" :mad:

Still, good value for an uncapped service IMHO.

Butch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Butch
    1. What type of domain do they offer for this fee: .ie? .com? .net?

2. How much other ISPs are usually charging for the same?

3. Who is ultimately the body in charge of domain registration? How much to they charge? How much profit is Netsource making out of this?
    1. It's supposed an ie (which is were the price comes from) but you can get any domain you want

2. The official price of an ie domain is €125 ex VAT

3. http://www.domainregistry.ie Wouldn't think they'd make that much on an ie, but if you go for a cheaper domain like .com they'd be getting a huge profit on it.

Hosting is extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have a look on the hosting board, you'll get an idea of standard pricing for domains.

As a rule ISPs tend to bundle hosting etc in such a way that it seems attractive to business as they only have one invoice to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

regarding the requirement of a domain... if I already have a domain I wish to use with my netsource dsl when I finally get it, can I use it? Will netsource demand that I register another one just to fleece me for a .com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by rymus
    regarding the requirement of a domain... if I already have a domain I wish to use with my netsource dsl when I finally get it, can I use it? Will netsource demand that I register another one just to fleece me for a .com?

I just sent back the application form without the domain name form. The domain information came back as "to be advised". I'm still paying for it mind (paying to be advised none the less), but I'm happier keeping the domain I want to use with DirectNIC and pointing it to my IP address using DirectDNS.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Netsource make a profit of about 60 euroon the domain over a year, rang up the IE registry and they gave me reseller pricing, heh.

so.... it doesnt really matter if you already have your own domain, netsource will still charge you the tenner extra a month... Seems like quite a crock to me.

Doesnt that raise the monthly to around €66? must get the calculator out to work out my best option....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Netsource make a profit of about 60 euroon the domain over a year, rang up the IE registry and they gave me reseller pricing, heh.

I spoke with the Netsource dudes and they said some folk can get the package without the Domain if they are doing a lot of business already with them (maybe two ppl with a company account?)
    I was told elsewhere that you can have a .com domain - but for a .ie you have to prove you are a company and have rights to that name (?)...
    Also their web page (www.netsource.ie) suggests that it is Not a fully hosted domain - you get no web space and you have to pay extra for smtp etc. but I spoke to a guy there who said they can point the domain and mx records to your ip and then do what you like with it on your own hosted pc.

AFAIK you can have two domains pointing to the same IP address - so there shouldnt be any problem with the other poster here registering a second - or moving his domain to netsource

Also - cheapest I've seen domains .com .net for sale is GoDaddy.com who sell them for 8 dollars per YEAR!. So a huge markup for netsource here. But its worth it for not having to clock watch/mb watch your time on the interenet.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

so.... it doesnt really matter if you already have your own domain, netsource will still charge you the tenner extra a month... Seems like quite a crock to me.

It is a bit of a crock, but I sort of looked on it a bit differently. Firstly I wanted a fixed IP (UTV charge an extra E5er for this), and I also didn't want to worry about the cap, so for me it was worth paying extra. Really what they should have done is set the price at E55 (ex VAT) and offered a free domain name.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Butch

Originally posted by dazberry
    Really what they should have done is set the price at E55 (ex VAT) and offered a free domain name.

D.

Ditto.

For the same reasons I will choose them and pay the small delta. But their silly marketing stunt with the domain reg leaves a trashy (and probably unnecessary) smell.

Butch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

afaik you can use a domain you already have. You would pay netsource for the domain every year (or month) instead of whoever you're currently paying for it
    but for a .ie you have to prove you are a company and have rights to that name (?)...
    If you check out domainregistry.ie they have all the rules for getting an ie domain. They're there to prevent cyber squatting. Basically, they won't let you just pick any name you want. If you want to register intel.ie you have to have own a business or trademark called intel. You can get some variation of your name tho
    But their silly marketing stunt with the domain reg leaves a trashy (and probably unnecessary) smell
    Unless you've got a large customer base, you're not going to make much money reselling eircom's dsl. It's not a high profit business. Netsource make most of their money as a domain reseller and hosting company, not as an ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The bottom line is you're getting uncapped 512/128 dsl for €66 a month. And a fixed Ip. And a domain name thrown in. Whereas most other ISPs will give you a 3gig cap, possibly no fixed IP and will charge maybe a tenner less for the privilidge.
    Be happy with what's on offer (but not happy enough not too look for improvement :))

when you put it like that....

/me shuts his whiny bitch ass up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Hi,

Netsource pay around 50 euro for each .ie domain, so they make a nice little bit of that aswell. Most ISP's/Hosts will register a CNO domain for around 12 euro's, Eircom charge full whack 125 afair, and the same goes for Esat.

Again check the hosting board and you'll see who charges what.

We got the soho package in our office and we didn't need to reg a domain or transfer one over as we are a Limited company :)

Its a real pain in the ass for home users and with the admin time needed to manage them I don't know why they bloody bother with the thing.

All of eircoms packages now come with the option of static IP's, there is a one off charge of 50 euro for it.

The other point I'd like to make is RIPE don't allow people to charge for IP's, you can charge a setup fee and thats it.

Originally posted by flamegrill
    We got the soho package in our office and we didn't need to reg a domain or transfer one over as we are a Limited company :)

So as I'm registered as a sole trader, I could do the same thing?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

So as I'm registered as a sole trader, I could do the same thing?!?

Yup :D

Advertisement