Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#1:Draft: Fixed Rate Comparison Chart

Options
  • 17-08-2003 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am attempting to put together a detail comparison of the various "Fixed Rate" access packages that are now available.

My first draft is available here:
    http://www.0fsex.info/FrateIacces.html

or here if you can not visit that domain

Things that I will be adding but haven't done yet:

*Related links section: Links to various posts on the IOFFL Forums and Nets/Comms forum. If anyone would like to collect some of these links that have quality postings/helpfull info in them. It would be of great help.

*Style Sheet for the page.

I may be putting the ISP I am with in the most favourable light!

So I would also like some positive quotes for each of the companys mentioned, or reason why you choosed the isp your with, to be made available in the above page. Also the posters permision to include them.

Any other comment's, additions, removals etc on the page are welcome.

Regards,
    J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Are you not going to state that a "Cap" is in place for each of these ISP's?

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

corkie,

Magico!, Damn good idea - very useful and informative. Easy to follow/understand.

Re: UTVip Bills, I think when your U.TV Internet package is presented online. The bill includes [next months!] package fee + last months call charges?.. correct me if I am wrong.

P.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭corkie

Originally posted by Paddy20

Re: UTVip Bills, I think when your U.TV Internet package is presented online. The bill includes [next months!] package fee + last months call charges?.. correct me if I am wrong.

P.;) [/B]

That could depended on the date for which your payment is
    taken.

For me see :
    utvipxl.gif

My payments are taken on the 17 of the month, by online bill arives around the 10/12 day of the month.

So I pay for this months access and last months call charges.
    It probably varies per customer.
    From Page
    Anyone taking up this poor offer at this stage should have their head examined!

I know I made this comment in the page but
    obewan
    Are you not going to state that a "Cap" is in .....

If you wish to wear a "CAP" while surfing using dialup, that is your own concern :p

But what "CAP" are you refering to:
    If you mean
    "These Services are LIMETED to X hours per Month for a set Monthly fee".
    Yes that maybe needed to be added to the page.
    Download/Upload limits don't apply on Dial Up. Except if your constantly downloading big software packages and tying up bandwidth.

Regards,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You wouldnt think of hosting you page somewhere that does not have 'sex' in its name would you? ...
    The reason being: a lot of places, including the place where I work, have a proxy set up so that any site with sex etc or games etc will not be loaded ....

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Well done corkie, very useful. BTW you don't have to use the dialler software for Esat-BT Anytime it can be set up manually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

corkie,
    Re: U.TV Internet billing periods/methods!.

Quote:- " My payments are taken on the 17th of the month, my online bill arrives 10/12th day of month" end quote.

Correct, mine is exactly the same. However if you look closely at the scan of your online account. It clearly states the following:-

1; Call charges for July, meaning up to the last Calender day of the given month just past.

2; Advance subscription charge for August. meaning you are paying one month in advance from the first calender day of August ie. from the 1st of August.

U.TV Internet fixed rate Internet access packages are charged to the customer on a Calender monthly basis in advance for monthly fixed rate packages such as your UTVip XL service at €24.99c for 180 hours anytime access!, while your ordinary telephone call charges can only be charged in arrears up to the last calender day of the previous monthly billing period. In all this means that this system make it easier for accounting purposes for U.TV Internet who are a ISP that supplies and charges on a calender monthly basis, where possible.

I hope this makes the slight discrepency on your site more clear.

P.;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by obewan
    Are you not going to state that a "Cap" is in place for each of these ISP's?

Mick.

A Cap(ie. limit on the amount of Data) only exists on DSL products. There is a timelimit on dialup services. ie. 180 hours for UTV and Esat and 150 hours for €ircon.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A few wee points:
    • Might be no harm to mention the rationale behind the UTV dialler: that it automagically rolls over to dial a fallback number, at their expense, if it gets a busy tone on the 1893 number.
    • EsatBT have two packages, one of which is aimed specifically at businesses. I'd probably break out the UTV offerings into separate columns, and ditto EsatBT. You could use a colspan="2" where the information is the same across the products.
    • Lose the RAT in Eircom's unknown flatrate product name, if you want to be seen to be objective.
    • The domain name is offputting... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    A few wee points:

• Lose the RAT in Eircom's unknown flatrate product name, if you want to be seen to be objective.
    • The domain name is offputting... ;)

Nahh , make it 2Pt larger than the text and lose the Bold, making it subliminal instead.

Domain name is filters material alright.

Add

Multilink (128k) support (means you use up your hours at twice the speed)

IOL no
    UTV no
    Eircom yes

Sorry about the domain folks,

I'm just using that domain as a testing ground for various things.
    It set to expire in a few months and I am not renewing it.

That page is also now available here:

Thanks for the postive feedback, and for the alterations that are needed.

The page mainly deals with "Fixed Rate" for Anytime packages, for the home user. Once I have that page cleaned up and applied some style to it. I will use the template to do a comparsion for business packages.

I also need to expand the details for Off peak only packages and do a comparison of them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Originally posted by corkie
    That page is also now available here:
    Oh no it's not! (It's behind you! etc...)

Thanks Draker for pointing that out.

I rename the first draft and up load a index.php instead of index.html this forum was pointing to.

Just uploaded 'htaccess' file which took care of the problem.

Both links are been redirected to
    here

Any one have good 'phone connector' photos, I need to make a logo for the final reseting place of all this information, I am putting together.

All the information that I am now whiteboarding, will eventually end up under this theme/style.

Dahamsta inspired me to use that theme/style when he posted this in response to one of my post.
    Originally posted by dahamsta
    Sorry, but I disagree again. I find PHP/PostNuke sites have horrendous usability issues, not least something as simple as having article titles linked.
    ....adam [/B]

I had a theory that any Good CMS should be able to mirror the 'Style/Design' of any other popular Open Source CMS.

'Dont judge a book by it's cover'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Nice work. You should point out that the rat's products are based on bi-monthly billing cycles not monthly and that usage is also calculated in two month periods.

Thanks for your comment ElNino,

I am holding off on including details about eircom packages until I see them post the full set of T&C's on their website.

Off all the ISP, eircom have the greatest range of payment option's. You can let them bill you bi-monthly, but you can pay towards your bill in advance if you so wish.

I pay my line rental through 'Billpay.ie'.

The 'Guide to Flat Rate' now has been split into various sections.
    See Signature for URL's

I have also set http://welcome.to/ogra to point to the guide.
    (Third Party Adverts Redirect!! --- )

For EsatBT/IOL anytime is their anything that I should be including in the guide that would be specific to that isp only?
    some thing like I have for utvip

any recommendations for other sections that i will be adding
    'Reasons for/against switching providers'
    'How to sign up'
    ' Checking you been activate '
    ' How to switch from utvip to UTVipXL or Netsmart to Anytime'

What content of the guide should I include in PDF/Printable version?

Regards,
    J.

Advertisement