Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Trib:Fergus Cassidy calls for Independent Internet Tech Research Facility

Options
  • 17-08-2003 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Fergus Cassidy of Sunday Trib calls for Independent Internet Technology Research Facility

In his 'Ethos' column in todays Sunday Tribune,
    Fergus Cassidy callled for an independent research facility specifically for internet technology - giving boards.ie another plug along the way :)

Extract from article as follows:

"....The other issue concerns a trial by the ESB next month, believed to be in Tuam. Co. Galway. The ESB will
    attempt to find out if it's feasible to send data to homes and businesses over electric wires. This potential to connect to the internet in this way is currently under commercial trials in Scotland by Scottish-Hydro. Governments are keen to drive competitiveness by encouraging alternatives to incumbent or monopoly telephone conpanies.

I followed a fascinating and very informative discussion on boards.ie last week which convinced me that
    Ireland badly needs an independent research facility
    specifically on internet technology. Running data over electricity cables on poles can ccreate massive radio noise pollution. This would mean that the frequencies used
    by a large and important community of amateur radio operators could be drowned out. Naturally, the radio people are extremely concerned and more than a little determined to fight
    their corner."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

As an aside, he notes that the Irish Government is spending large amounts on research and development.

I would actually dispute this, and would note that in certain institutions researchers will only be taken on on short term contracts- the dept of finance won't allow full time positions.
    In certain areas a scientific program can take up to 5 years or more, and it hardly shows a commitment to scientific research if contracts are limited to 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

still ot for the forumbut..
    Originally posted by jd
    As an aside, he notes that the Irish Government is spending large amounts on research and development.

I would actually dispute this,
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0821/education.html
    "It is reported that the Government will proceed with cutbacks in research funding to universities, provoking an angry response from the third-level sector.
    "

Advertisement