Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay, How good are they?

• 17-08-2003 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying stuff off eBay.co.uk. How safe is my credit card information with them? Are the stuff in good condition when they arrive to you or are they on their last legs? Do you have any comeback if the stuff is faulty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Well, with regards to CC info they use a seperate agent to handle the money, Paypal, and which, if you google 'paypal sucks' you'll find many horror stories. But from what I can tell, are mostly ones where you allow paypal acess to your bank a/c. Don't CCs come with lots of liabilty backup and such?

As for buying stuff off ebay, I just won a bid the other day, paid your man 40e on thursday and I'll let you know if it shows up.
    As for comeback and such, i think it's based on trust but a lot of the sellers have a reputation thing, which if they screw you over, you can give them a bad review. So only buy from the guys with lots of positive reports..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have just registered with them. I didnt give them my Credit Card Details cos I was listening to Gerry Ryan on the radio during the week, they were on about Credit Card Fraud, some Horror stories there. The sooner that the new type card becomes mainstream the better.

Tell me how you get on with that anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I've bought a fair amount of stuff off ebay ... both new and second hand ... only once did I think that I was screwed over ... and it turns out I wasnt, the item took 40 odd days to come by airmail from Canada .... if you stick to users that have a LOT (500 or more) of feedback and 99%+ positive then you are safest... unlikely to be shafted ...

One thing to note ... shipping from America can be very expensive, a lot of German users only accept COD ....

You can get great deals ...but there are plenty of shysters out there looking for a quick buck ....

As a new user you may find that some vendors will not want to deal with you (afraid of you ****ing them over), just make sure you read the small print and definitely make sure that you have found out p&p and any questions about the product before bidding ...

I just bought a Nokia 7250 for £27.50. What is the time window for paying for a item. And whats does he mean by this?

"Payment instructions from seller:
    no postage cost as item will be e-mailed "

Its a phone now....whats he thinking?

Er ... was it information on how to get one of those fones cheap? ...

usually people like to get their money within a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ebay is the first place I check now for anything. It's not so hot for CPU's/RAM etc. but for miscellaneous things like cables and carts it's excellent. As was said try to stick with those who already have a good rep.
    I use Paypal a lot, they're not fraudsters but a lot of folks run into problems with them being incredibly slow to resolve any issues that do popup. I only once had an issue with an auction I'd won, no sign of the item and no replies from the seller. I contacted Ebay themselves and I had a refund within 2 days.

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Er ... was it information on how to get one of those fones cheap? ...

usually people like to get their money within a few days

Doh! Misread the item for sale, I shouldnt going looking at stuff when im knackered. How do you cancel item, just contact your man?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

is there not an irish ebay? is it any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by clansman
    is there not an irish ebay? is it any good
    There's ebid.ie

They're terrible. The whole business plan screamed "we'll sell the company as soon as we can."

Ebay have an Irish portal (www.ebayireland.com) but it's not that crowded. They couldn't use ebay.ie as those nice folks at ebid.ie registered a company so they could register ebay.ie (see previous comments wrt ebid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

CC Fraud sucks...40,000 lost sucks

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Doh! Misread the item for sale, I shouldnt going looking at stuff when im knackered. How do you cancel item, just contact your man?

They design those to be quite hard to figure out whether you are getting the item or what.... but if you read the whole page you would see it somewhere that its only info....

Most sellers will not allow you to back out, and in this case I'd say will definitely not let you back out .... if he gives you bad feedback, make sure you give it back to him .... write in that it was very misleading

I do despise those sellers who sell information about getting items instead of the items themselves, ebay should have stopped that carry-on ages ago .. now a fair percentage of the technology auctions are some pillock selling information ... and I've heard that most of them are simply telling you to ring up the manufacturer telling them you are a new retailer and that you want samples .... :rolleyes:

Well I havent bought the info yet, didnt give him the money nor did he give me the info. I thought I was getting the fone. Misleading information but he did have written on the last line that it was only info. The headline was difinately misleading.

I sent him a email saying that i cant buy it dont have the money, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I have had nearly thirty purchases off Ebay (Both .co.uk and .com, It is worth checking both as there is not complete crossover) and haven't had (touch wood) a problem. Just take the same precautions as anywhere else. For what it is worth, I have found it an excellent source of those items that are harder to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I just bought a Nokia 7250 for £27.50. What is the time window for paying for a item. And whats does he mean by this?

"Payment instructions from seller:
    no postage cost as item will be e-mailed "

Its a phone now....whats he thinking?

Jesus, fierce smart buying that, weren't you? The thing is, you would have had to type your password a few times to do that. Couldn't have been that drunk. Try reading the full description in future.
    As for credit card fraud, well if you notice anything strange on your bill you can take it up with your company. Its fairly retarded to be convinced by Gerry Ryans scaremongering. How many people do you know that have been affected by credit card fraud. Paypal are probably now one of the busiest credit card processors around, they seem to have improved their act over time as well. I've bought 5 or 6 items from ebay now, no problems except some long shipping times.

I was knackered after work, (doing 14 hour days, 7 days a week). When I saw the title "nokia 7250, 9210i, 8910i from £25 " I didnt fully read the post and he had a picture there about the fone there. So a assumed. Never heard of people selling info on how to get a fone or anything( I think is a load of bollox. when bigEejit said it to me i felt a bit dopey alright)

Noone I know has being caught out by Credit Card Fraudsters( because they rarely use them) but I do believe that it is going on and in a big way especially to ppl that use them loads. I myself havent given out my credit card details over the net yet nor have i used it yet. if you dont think that there is major fraud with Credit Cards going on, your a bit foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

..... I didnt give them my Credit Card Details cos I was listening to Gerry Ryan on the radio during the week, they were on about Credit Card Fraud, some Horror stories there......

[sarcasm]Yeah Gerry sure does know his stuff, his years of listening to housewives crying down the phone to him have proved an invaluable oracle of wisom [/sarcasm]

As some of the other posters have said, ebay should be your first stop when looking for ANYTHING, some good deals to be had. I'm into my 20's in purchases from the co.uk and the .com.
    Credit cards have built in protection to them anyway, don't be scared. Generally if something seems too good to be true, then it usually is.

What would we all do if the net was as bad as the media makes it out to be !!!??? Apparently it's the cause of murders, rapes, pedophilia etc... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    [sarcasm]Yeah Gerry sure does know his stuff, his years of listening to housewives crying down the phone to him have proved an invaluable oracle of wisom [/sarcasm]

I never said Gerry Ryan was the expert on credit cards or a invaluable oracle of wisom. All I said was that i was listening to the radio when he was on about it ( He was scammed himelf he says). I was just pointing out that some people were caught out(Some were fools the way they fell into it alright, i.e. replying to junk mail, lol) Just wondering if anyone has had problems with credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

i am using this for the last 3 years when i was in india, i was curios there as was a bit scared of fraud but did all very smoothly.
    now here in ireland since last 2 years, and i have seen allmost all types of customers...just keep your eye open and try a logic as well.....

i always use paypal as they are the best. and i sell items also so i had to give them my credit card info.
    these days they are very strict and u get screwed only if your LUCK and TIME is not good and my friend then u can be screwed anywhere for anything, even for a Morning breakfast at BURGERKING.......

or get point from a garda just for 5 mile excess on your car

Any way ebay is really good but this ebid ir really bad.....

if u want any clarification then pm me...i will help u as far as i can
    GOOD LUCK and WELCOME to board....
    anyway
    Have u been to Leixlip for any job relation...just asking

DOH!!!

Advertisement