Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Artist's Block

• 17-08-2003 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Right, for the last couple of weeks i've been having a major creative block, as in both musically and artistically.

Thing is i'm seriously considering Music as a career and this is having all kinds of negative effects on everything I do as normally everything I do revolves around either drawing or making music, neither of which I can do. For the last couple of weeks it's gotten me royally depressed and annoyed, to the point where I locked my guitars away for a while. I'm starting to feel like I won't ever be able to do what I love anymore and i'm going into 5th year, where my choices revolve around arts, which I'm seeing as a waste now.

It doesn't help either that the music I listen to is very complicated and all the musicians that compose it are amazing. I can't listen to the albums anymore because I find it too hard to not become incredibly jealous and sad over it.

Is there any way to get over this? Because it's starting to feel like I'm living for nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"as normally everything I do revolves around either drawing or making music, neither of which I can do. "

So I don't understand - can you do music or art or not?

Surely it should be what you want to do, because what you think you can do is not where your talents will stop. Unless you want them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gordon I think thats a reference to the blockage in question...

As for the creative lull, well its difficult to suggest solutions as it depends on the individual, I just stop trying. This year has been a quiet one for my musical endevours. You really cant force the issue
    but doing something else quite different may help take up a sport or other physical pastime.

I dont know your musical tastes or what you play/compose but try something completly different if you've never listened to say Prog Rock try some or blues or Baroque classical. Inspiration can come from the oddest places!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Aye, just relax, and it'll come. Actively searching for creativity rarely works. Take a break, do something different. You'll find yourself humming a cracking good tune out of nowhere before you know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

hehe, I think I'm almost over it!

I think it's a matter of being unconfident in the stuff I write, and automatically seeing the things I write as bad. But tonight is different, yay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Obviously you've found the best cure for blockages lots of lube and a good rogering, well done

(sorry I couldn't resist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

tbh i find the best way to combat it is a change. the last time i went through one of those was bout 8 months ago, when i was listening to much heavier stuff. since then my tastes changed to much more mellow folk-soft rock acoustic picking orientated music, which helped me get over the worst of it :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Everyone has those days or even weeks when they cannot play a guitar to their full potential. It is more of a mental thing than anything and once you set your mind to it you'll get over it straight away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Then write about your writer's block...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The Cohen Brothers suffered writers block during the writing for Millers Crossing so they took a break and wrote a screenplay about a screenplay writer who had writers block and it turned into the movie Barton Fink.

I've read before that immersing yourself into some new style of painting or type of music and trying to work in that style can help.

If you are a metal fan start listening to Rachmaninov etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Then write about your writer's block...
    Like Albert Brooks did with The Muse?

(yellum's example is probably far better:D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt a recent Nic Cage film have a similair premise.

Adaption...?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I take writers block as a clue that I have to learn more, so eh..learn more :)

www.wholenote.com for some guitar.

Advertisement