Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do grades in dropped subjects really count?

• 18-08-2003 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'd be eversothankful if somebody could tell me; given that you take 4 subjects in first year arts, and then drop two after first year, do the grades you get in these dropped subjects count in the final degree result? I know that you must pass them to get the credits necessary, but do the actual grades make any difference at the end of the day?
    I know that this sounds clueless, but I don't want to ask any staff in the uni; they'd think that I was just totally lazy.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

This is just a guess but no they shouldnt count :) You drop them for a reason. If you're not interested in a subject you arent expected to be getting top marks in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No they don't.

The only subject I'm still doing since first year is Comp Sci. Any other subjects I did were just gap fillers.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Do they count towards your final degree grade?
    No, all you must aim for in first year is a pass.

Your final degree grade is calculated from your third year results,
    and 33% of your second year results.

*I'm being general here, you should consult the faculty in question to confirm the exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I did arts at UCC and my degree grade was based on the results of the final year only.

In some colleges, the grades achieved in the penultimate year may also be taken into account but first year grades are irrelevant as long as you pass.

Advertisement