Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a cat to drink

Options
  • 18-08-2003 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

My cat's a year old and never drinks anything. She always got sick if she was given milk and she's never touched any water I've given her. I saw her drink rainwater once but that's it. Is this ok? It can't be healthy surely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is she given wet food or dry food?
    you should leave out some water at all times especially when its hot the cat could just be getting water from some where else.
    Have you taken it to the vet since it gets sick after drinking milk, perhaps you should if its worrying you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

They can be fussy creatures ;)

If you have seen her drink rainwater then it occurs to me that there may be a taste in ur tapwater she just dosent like.

Milk is bad for cats and will cause the runs,, and contrary to popular belief, not all like it.

I suggest buying a bottle of ballygowan or similiar still water and seeing if she will drink that, if not, contact ur vet, but I have a feeling she might ;)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

She eats that cat food with gravy stuff. she hasn't had milk since she was a kitten and the vet gave her the all clear. Thanks for the help. I'll try the bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I've had my cat for nine years and no-one in the household has seen her drink water except on a handful of occasions. Just make sure to keep putting fresh stuff out anyway. Though mine has been seen preferring the filthy puddles in our back garden..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Cats are lactose intolerant - like many humans - so should not be fed cow (or any other animal except cat) milk.

Try it on the Whiskas kitten/cat milk. Alternatively - switch foods to something like Hills Science Plan, that is balanced for all appropriate salts - this usually helps them to drink as much as they need.

As for rainwater - they all seem to go for mucky puddles and dirty ponds - and even fish tanks...not sure why!!!

There is a theory (or old wives tale) about them prefering dirty water so that they cannot see their reflection.

HTH

Ka:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Don't feed the cat "food with gravy stuff", it's only dirt.
    You're much better off giving them dry food, it's alot healthier and good for their teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

My cat only drank the water we gave him when he needed to, normally he drank the water from the water-feature in our back garden and, as far as I know, it did him no harm. All cats seem to like it better, it's not unusual. Because we were worried about him getting dehydrated when he couldn't get outside(when it was raining, late at night etc.), we gave him Whiskas milk, it's a special milk for cats, doesn't give them the runs. As far as I know it's alright for them. It's not cheap, but it's a small price to pay to stop your cat getting dehydrated. He quite liked it :)
    And also, I agree with Heresy, give your cat dry food, it's better for them than the canned stuff. And smells less gicky ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

our cat gets dried food only as the few above
    reduced smell - esp during summer
    better for teeth
    never drinks off us, they regulate themselves quite well so I presume ours is getting in from puddles etc
    brilliant coat on the cat and gets thumbs up every year when taken for checkup, funny that I dont go for for a once yearly but I insist on the little f*cker going

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. (unless you hold it's head under the water).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

My cat (Tracy) likes to drink from kitchen tap only. She will not drink from bowl and doesn't eat cat food.

Either she thinks she is human, does not trust us, or she is a lady.

I love her little face.

.....yes I know I'm sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement