Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did ESATBT mislead the ASAI and should the ASAI do nothing about it!

Options
  • 18-08-2003 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Today is the last day to complain about this misleading ad that ESAT have not removed from the commercial Doubleclick site

http://ad.ie.doubleclick.net/viewad/596867/anytime_468_bu.gif

.....there is no €20 a month offer available from IOL (except while the AD is still alive on Doubleclick .... hint hint :D )

ASAI Complaints may be submitted online through this form Here quoting reference AC/0306/0714

ESATBT have already assured the ASAI that this specific ad has been removed but as you can all see it is still there if you click on the link above

(Norton Internet Security / Adaware / Pestpatrol users may not see the ad if the Advertising filters features are enabled) .

So. Did ESATBT lie to the ASAI and mislead them?

M

6Thread Title Edited (Timestamp below) to Reflect Responses to this Initial Post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Muck
    Today is the last day to complain about this misleading ad that ESAT have not removed from the commercial Doubleclick site

http://ad.ie.doubleclick.net/viewad/596867/anytime_468_bu.gif

M

Muck-the image may be available, but is it being served out by the server?
    Its kinda like saying that there still are copies of the ad in esats warehouse..
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by jd
    is it being served out by the server?
    Its kinda like saying that there still are copies of the ad in esats warehouse..
    jd

It is being served out by the Doubleclick server.

If you click on the AD the server will serve it to you. Just like that, amazing wha?!

It is not hidden and under the control of ESAT and therefore visible only to ESAT as would be the case with the 'warehouse' analogy you made JD .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Muck
    It is being served out by the Doubleclick server.

If you click on the AD the server will serve it to you. Just like that, amazing wha?!

It is not hidden and under the control of ESAT and therefore visible only to ESAT as would be the case with the 'warehouse' analogy you made JD .

M

Muck
    its only available if you know the url-
    I doubt it is being served out through doubleclick partners to users

Originally posted by jd
    Muck
    its only available if you know the url-
    I doubt it is being served out through doubleclick partners to users

The URL is available in another thread from July (mainly) started by Madsl .

If I put up a poster saying 'Free Internet' and get told by the ASAI to take it down, and then proceed to reassure the ASAI that the misleading ad has been removed from view, then that should mean the poster NO LONGER EXISTS .

ESAT have done the equivalent of saying

a) The poster is still there.
    b) So we closed the road
    c) Now nobody can drive past the poster
    d) Therefore nobody will see it.

That is not the same thing at all JD .

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't agree with you on this one Muck. The ad has to be served to sites to be of any value whatsoever. If it's not being served by their ad software, you would have to go actively looking for it to be misled, and that would make you a very sad person indeed. Let it lie. Down boy. :)

adam

• Advertisement

It can be used to mislead simply because it exists Adam!

I could embed it in an email and send out a mailshot to me mates.

By the same logic, I could ring up a droid in ESAT and demand the €20 service instead of my SNL .....<cough> because I can find a paid for banner offering me a €20 a month service whether ESAT intend me to find it or not !

Remove should mean remove which means remove. Faffing around with the push cycle to the target demographic is not good enough IMO and Yes, I AM hairsplitting :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I can put my hands on the masters of any number of tv commercials which have been amended/withdrawn from tv circulation. Just because the ads are withdrawn doesnt mean that are totally wiped from the face of the earth.

If the ad is no longer being served to websites, then this isnt just splitting hairs, its just plain dumb :)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I can put my hands on the masters of any number of tv commercials which have been amended/withdrawn from tv circulation. Just because the ads are withdrawn doesnt mean that are totally wiped from the face of the earth.

If the ad is no longer being served to websites, then this isnt just splitting hairs, its just plain dumb :)

The ADs you refer to are not available from a party who is PAID or was ever PAID to make them available to the public Dustaz. A TV ad is broadcast by a TV station who is paid to do so. If an ad is later hosted on ...the Carlsberg website itself for example...... then there is no breach of the ASAI code.

If Advertising Agency X hosted an ad they themselves created (as an example of their work) then there is probably no breach either because they were not PAID to disseminate they were paid to create it only. A media buyer sorted out the dissemination bit for them.

Doubleclick were PAID to accept the ad...that is an important distinction.

Here is the ASAI code. http://www.asai.ie/codes_2002/1.html

"an advertisement is defined as a paid-for commercial communication addressed to the public or a section of it, the purpose being to influence the behaviour of those to whom it is addressed. It is characteristic of an advertisement that an advertiser pays or rewards a third party for communicating a message;"

I searched the entire ASAI site and found no distinction between Client-Server and Client - Server(pull)-Server - delivery mechanism anywhere in there.

Do tell me where this important distinction is made in the ASAI codes so that I can ask Sceptre to immediately recycle this whole thread and ban me for at least a week for good measure with a snotty PM thrown in to complete my humiliation :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

lol :)

I just fail to see the usefullness of getting an ad that is not in circulation deleted. Bigger fish to fry etc:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anything that gets under the skin of either of the Duopoly is worth doing IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Annoying the duopoly for the sake of annoying them is not worth doing imo. Trying to convince them to release cheaper/better products is hardly going to be helped by annoying them over something no one sees without searching for that exact problem.
    If your searching for it i'd assume you know why its not easily found.

Waste of time imo but it is your time to waste :p

It literally hopped up in front of me on Yahoo 5 weeks ago see Here pages 1 and 2.

I got a PM last week and saw that the ad, allegedly removed according to the PM , was still there.

Advertisement