Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused for wearing "trainers"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Cabaal To be honest there not breaking any laws, places can have a dress code.

I have no problem with a dress code if it's posted outside. Bouncers often come up with it on the spot though.
    So you’re telling me you’ll get pissed off and throw a fit if a Restaurant refuses you because you’re wearing jeans, runners and a t-shirt?

Yes unless it's prominantly posted outside. I've never been refused into a restaurant.
    They can do it if they want to

Possibly but I'm aware that bouncers stopped doing it several months ago alogether, in the city at least. I thought it was because of the Equality Act 2000. I've heard this from a few people but haven't found anything stating that specifically. It coincided with the whole "travelling community" debacle.
    If they can legally do that...does it make it right? ...hell no IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Here's a quote from the very worthy (if tediously dull) book 'No Logo' by the lovely Naomi Klein.

It's from a chap called Howard Schulz who is or was the CEO of Starbucks, the coffee house chain.

He says: 'The people who line up for Starbucks aren't just there for the coffee. It's the romance of the coffee experience, the feeling of warmth and community people get in Starbucks stores.'

Warmth and community huh? Do Starbucks chains have a dress code? Do they refuse you entry if you wear trainers? Do they have a pair heavies blocking every entrance enforcing arbitrary admissions policies?

I'll bet they don't, but then I don't really know because I've never been in a Starbucks. Do correct me, someone, if my supposition is wrong.

The Vinters Association really want to get their act together and realise, like Mr Schultz, that most people don't really come into their premises for the beer or the alcopops. It's the atmosphere, the craic, the conviviality. If that is being impaired by an agressive admissions policy, deafening music and inflated bar prices, then God help them if somebody like Starbucks set up over here.

And then of course when the pub trade drops off with more and more people seeking their warmth and community elsewhere and the multinational chains increase their business we'll hear all sorts of bleating about how local indigenous traditional businesses are being put to flight by the agressive marketing of globalised brand names.

Bring back warmth and community to pubs. Or else globalisation will take it away from you for good.

The biggest favour somebody could do the pub trade is to get a branding iron with the phrase 'They're not just here for the beer' and imprint it on the forehead of every publican in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    The biggest favour somebody could do the pub trade is to get a branding iron with the phrase 'They're not just here for the beer' and imprint it on the forehead of every publican in the country.

Got a better one, if people boycott pubs altogether :)

But then the words 'Hell' and 'freeze over' jump to mind.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Possibly but I'm aware that bouncers stopped doing it several months ago alogether, in the city at least. I thought it was because of the Equality Act 2000. I've heard this from a few people but haven't found anything stating that specifically. It coincided with the whole "travelling community" debacle.
    If they can legally do that...does it make it right? ...hell no IMO.

It was (and presume still is) routine for some of the niteclubs in Galway to insist on shoes being worn. There are always exceptions, and you might be lucky and get in without shoes, but people know well enough that if you want to go clubbing, don't wear runners to be safe. It's like ID, just stick it in the back pocket, incase. I don't believe this has changed at all over recent memory.

To be honest I never did get the fuss over dress codes. In my experience the clubs in galway aren't too harsh on implementing them (can be f*ckers for ID though), the only thing I've seen people refused for are runners or tracksuit bottoms. I don't think people should wear tracksuits to niteclubs. I only wear either of those garments when I'm exercising to be honest :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Runners are picked on becuase they represent casual dress to the utmost. Very few track suit wear gentry wear any thing other than runners. And its more track suits than runners they care about.

That's Victoria still stinking up the place.
    The rest of the western world doesn't really give a **** what you wear as long as you look like you aren't going to cause problems for them.
    That's actually the function of a bouncer. Protect patrons (1st priority) and property (very 2nd priority).
    It helps that in the UK the bouncers have to be licensed by the police which involves a training course.

Money does not buy class.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

He says: 'The people who line up for Starbucks aren't just there for the coffee. It's the romance of the coffee experience, the feeling of warmth and community people get in Starbucks stores.'

Warmth and community huh? Do Starbucks chains have a dress code? Do they refuse you entry if you wear trainers? Do they have a pair heavies blocking every entrance enforcing arbitrary admissions policies?

I'll bet they don't, but then I don't really know because I've never been in a Starbucks. Do correct me, someone, if my supposition is wrong.

Well, Starbucks survives more off of its "carryout" business then its in-store "sit on a couch drinking coffee" business.

Also, Starbucks business model involves wiping out the competition by over-saturating the market, so it would also be true to say that many people "choose" Starbucks because of lack of choice.

From these perspectives, I would say that Mr. Schulz is issuing a nice piece of party spin, rather than uttering a truism.

Regardless of this, Starbuks not having a dress-code or door-policy is not necessarily an indicator of how successful such an approach would be in a different market sector such as pubs, and would have different demographics and dynamics associated with it (or so I would imagine).

On the other hand..."not just here for the beer" is a fair point to make. I'm not sure that any successful pub will really care though : If the people aren't there for the beer, then why change a winning formula.

jc

Originally posted by bugler It was (and presume still is) routine for some of the niteclubs in Galway to insist on shoes being worn. There are always exceptions, and you might be lucky and get in without shoes, but people know well enough that if you want to go clubbing, don't wear runners to be safe.

I was more concerned with pubs/late bars and not really clubs.
    I've never had a problem in Galway at all. Even going up to Rathmines is like a breath of fresh air compared to city centre Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I have given up on niteclubs, bouncers giving you hassle when you aren't drunk, and letting in people who can't even stand. Then when you are inside, you spend the whole nite queueing for the bar, only to have some halfwit pi** on you (didn't happen to me, but hear of a girl it happened to), then when you get to the bar you are ripped off for 5 euro a pint. Then queue for a taxi, to be ripped off again.

HERE HERE BROTHER!!!

I mean screw it all anyways- I hate nightclubs, and generally- if I see a bouncer I never go near the place, more and more places have bouncers these days- I avoid them. 'Less I know he's one of those rare "sound bouncers" (they exist- I swear!) or more to the point- bouncers that doesn't take one look at me and go....

The kind of place that enforces these policies are generally the kind of places I hate and filled with the sorts of people I despise. My policy is- if I'm discriminated against before I even get to the door then this isn't exactly the cozy and relaxing atmos I'm looking for. This is a Bud-trough for collars-up swine and I'd best leave it alone.

In fact I've actively, and friends of mine too, gone out of my way to get barred from certain nightclubs just so I'm not dragged by friends/so-called friends and girlfriends of friends/S-c friends to the same stupid kip eeeeevery-siiiingle-weekend.

But I still live in the vain hope, that someplace, somewhere my Cheers exists- a cozy, intimate dark watering-hole with good music played in the background and friendly and interesting crazies to talk to. Dream on I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But they wouldn't be able to read it then - or would you have it back to front so they could see it in the mirror?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

and you wan to go into a premisies that descriminates based on clothing ...... why exactly?

best thing to do is get everyone you know to boycott said establishment, and get them to get as many people as they can to do the same, the only way to hurt places liek that is in the wallet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

:

Originally posted by Victor
    But they wouldn't be able to read it then - or would you have it back to front so they could see it in the mirror?

Branding irons, being traditional impact printers, intrinsically follow the negative printing methodology with which anybody preparing a message for reproduction in that form would be familiar.

Offset printing, such as is common place in today's reproduction technology involves the use of positive (ie readable) lithographic plates and a combination of water-repellant oils, inks and rollers to transfer that image to paper.

I presume you could use the same method on a publican but then they wouldn't feel any PAIN!!!

Which was the point of using the branding iron in the first place.

You're messing with the wrong pedant. :-)

Originally posted by The Beer Baron

But I still live in the vain hope, that someplace, somewhere my Cheers exists- a cozy, intimate dark watering-hole with good music played in the background and friendly and interesting crazies to talk to. Dream on I suppose.

I don't know where 'bouts you stay but in city centre it's either Dame Tavern (not to be confused with 4 Dame Lane, which is the most expensive pint I know of €5.15) or Brogan's on Dame Street.
    Unfortunetly they close normal hours. Late drinking is impossible if you go by your criteria...one reason the closing hours here piss me off.

In all honesty people, if you owned a nightclub, who would you rather in the guy in the Nike tracksuit and sovereign rings, or a guy in an Armani suit? :p

Originally posted by bloggs
    In all honesty people, if you owned a nightclub, who would you rather in the guy in the Nike tracksuit and sovereign rings, or a guy in an Armani suit? :p
    I'd also like to shag that pretty girl, but sometimes you don't get to have everything you want.

Originally posted by bloggs

If he keeps his hands of my wallet and my pint...then the tracksuit.
    People at the Shelbourne get drunk and disorderly too. :D
    My point is a public bar shouldn't be excluding who they want and who they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Us ladies seem to get lass hassle than blokes...

Once or twice Ive sauntered into Spirit in trainers and nothing said.....

Had a friend refused entry to Spirit because he was flying low...
    Now, that I dont get.....

Anyone who goes into a club in an Armani suit is obviously where the tracksuit guy get's his drugs from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

In all honesty people, if you owned a nightclub, who would you rather in the guy in the Nike tracksuit and sovereign rings, or a guy in an Armani suit?

Jesus, the world is not comprised of diametric opposites like this,

What about us hairy uncouth slobs, dont wear tracksuits or armani.

and what about Armani tracksuits?? :D

If I see bouncers I take it as a given that i wont be let in, whereas the scummer wearing a collar and a pair of shoes will be let in to bottle/stab and fight to their hearts content.

BOYCOTT places with over-stringent door policies

indeed.

nor do I wish to be drinking in the presense of Armani sorts.

I wish there were pubs that done the opposite- barred people for wearing shoes, chinos, those golf shirts with the crocodiles on 'em...wish I had a pub- then I'd show 'em.

(grumble grumble)...yuppie scum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I was under the impression that you could legally demand a reason for being refused from licenced premises?
    Maybe I was told porky-pies...

Does anyone know for definite?

Originally posted by Sico
    I was under the impression that you could legally demand a reason for being refused from licenced premises?
    Maybe I was told porky-pies...
    They do not have to give a reason there and then, but they do have to give a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

They do not have to give a reason there and then, but they do have to give a reason.
    How exactly is that supposed to be a fair way of doing things? I can see where giving a reason on the spot could cause extra hassle for bouncers in the case of people who have had too much to drink, but surely with what you said above, the premises could just give that excuse for everyone it refuses as the person who is refused would have no comeback or no way of proving they weren't drunk at the time! Where as an immediate reason possibly in writing if requested would mean the pubs are accountable for their actions and risk losing their licences if they act like assholes. But then again that might be a sensible solution that favours the ordinary joe which is obviously never going to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you're refused entry to a place based on the way you're dressed, and that is you're preferred mode of dress, don't go there again.

What is it about people in Dublin that they're happy to try and get back into places where they were refused before? If they don't want your money, **** them. And let's face it they're screwing you like never before on the money front.

I've practically given up drinking in pubs because of the ridiculous costs involved, €6.80 for a JD & Coke - fu ck off.

Having said that anyone who wears 'trainers' on a night out certainly isn't the sort of person I'd want to inhabit a drinking establishment with for the night, thank God I prefer oul lad's drinking emporiums :)

What does this have to do with politics again?

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    If you're refused entry to a place based on the way you're dressed, and that is you're preferred mode of dress, don't go there again.

And what if I work late and there are about 2-3 choices, all of which I'd rather avoid but I like to meet friends/co-workers for a drink.
    What is it about people in Dublin that they're happy to try and get back into places where they were refused before? If they don't want your money, **** them. And let's face it they're screwing you like never before on the money front.

No ****, tell me something I don't know (and for which I've complained and appealed for people to get involved to get it changed). When you have very few choices then not going to those places does very little good.
    Having said that anyone who wears 'trainers' on a night out certainly isn't the sort of person I'd want to inhabit a drinking establishment with for the night, thank God I prefer oul lad's drinking emporiums :)

With all due respect, that's a shortcut to thinking IMHO. Where I'm from people from welfare mothers to millionaires wear T-shirts, jeans and "trainers" just about everywhere because they are comfortable and usually a good value. Someone who pays alot of money for crap clothes doesn't mean they have "class" and aren't a scumbag. True this isn't my country but that type of thinking just doesn't make sense nor does it do anyone good in this country.

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    What is it about people in Dublin that they're happy to try and get back into places where they were refused before? If they don't want your money, **** them.
    That said, with more that 25% of the population, Dublin only has 10% of the country's pubs. Choice isn't always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

That said, with more that 25% of the population, Dublin only has 10% of the country's pubs. Choice isn't always there.
    Don't want to be anal here Victor but where did you get that stat from? Did it take into consideration the size of the establishments in Dublin?

http://www.cso.ie/census/results.htm
    Ireland - 3,917,336
    Dublin - 1,122,600 (28.7%)

Dublin has 800+ out of about 10,000 pubs (the 10,000 may be all licences including hotels and restaurants) in the country.

Did I mention size? Is one Beamer more traffic than 3 Minis? Is one large pub going to have greater variety in it's admisson policies than 10 small bars?

That said, the next alternative pub in Dublin is likely to be closer (c. 1.25 pubs / sq.km. against c. 0.11 pubs / sq.km.) - if they let you in.

Was walking past Club M a few weekends ago, and saw a guy in full white with blue stripe tracksuit with gold chains hanging out with trainers on verbally abusing a bouncer, with his friend holding him back. Just picked up 'bleeden muppat'. not sure why he wasn't getting in? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

http://www.cso.ie/census/results.htm
    Ireland - 3,917,336
    Dublin - 1,122,600 (28.7%)

Dublin has 800+ out of about 10,000 pubs (the 10,000 may be all licences including hotels and restaurants) in the country.

Did I mention size? Is one Beamer more traffic than 3 Minis? Is one large pub going to have greater variety in it's admisson policies than 10 small bars?

That said, the next alternative pub in Dublin is likely to be closer (c. 1.25 pubs / sq.km. against c. 0.11 pubs / sq.km.) - if they let you in.
    OK Then. Dublin Has closer to 30% of the Population than 25%.

Also if you search for Hotels you get a result of 172. I have not searched for Clubs.

And no you did not mention size, but, it might be pertinent to mention that when quoting inaccurate facts as you did above.

Why? Because free-market practices, like we have in this country, allow holders/owners of public licensed premises, to admit whomever they want, despite the legislation/guidance laid down on behalf of the flacid authority known as the EA.

Yes there are rules on discrimination. But they are easily flaunted. Somebody in this thread has already said that you do not have to give a reason for refusal, but if you do, it cannot be based on the 9 crtiteria laid down by the EA.

And no one beemer is not more traffic than 3 mini's. But I prefer to stick to the subject at hand.

Advertisement