Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my ISP see what I'm downloading from Kazaa?

• 18-08-2003 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Been downloading some shady movies recently...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yes they can. And they can read your email too. And some do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by yellum
    Yes they can. And they can read your email too. And some do.

For kicks, or some 'serious' purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

For very serious kicks I'd say.

Seriously though, the ISPS can keep track on pages you visit, movies you download etc. If your mail is with your isp, then they could read your mail.

Hopefully they only use the information to get the paedophiles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Verison (spelling? american ISP) earlier this year was forced to turn over the names and address's of file traders to the RIAA for prosecution on copyright infringment.

Freenet is a filesharing app (win and unix/mac) that uses layered encryption and redirection to aviod this sort of thing. Yes, it can be used for evil but it it all depends on how far you support free speach.

see my sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wouldn't this be an intrusion of privacy/ security matter.
    Im assuming credit card data sent over the web can't be viewed as its encrypted....or can they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I (& and the company i work for) utilise a network bandwidth monitoring tool that can also keeps track of kazaa downloads. It will compile a list of the last 10/20 downloads per computer client.

So yes, your ISP can monitor your kazaa downloads quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Lemming,
    whats the name of that app..

could use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

See here dor a recent article on how fachist the US has gotten in relation to this issue.

Spoiler : prosecuting students

@ B-K-DzR : No your ISP cannot see Credit Card numbers used on sites which use end to end encryption.
    I Internet Explorer a little padlock will appear in the bottom right hand corner of the window to indicate a secure SSL link.

Employees of said companies have access though.
    But then so does every physical retailer you hand it to.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by GUI
    Lemming,
    whats the name of that app..

could use it

NTop. T'is open-source goodness to be readily found and downloaded off SourceForge

The mailing list is quite active too. I think it can be tied into Nagios (which would be handy and save me using multiple tools when I need to do stuff with the network) but I've never looked nor attempted such.

Advertisement