Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of changing my diet.

• 18-08-2003 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

My weekly diet consists of..
    Chocolate and crisps.
    Spaghetti bolognese.
    Sweat & Sour Chicken and Rice. Or curry or something similar.
    Mashed Potatoes and pork with side salad.
    Chips with beans or some sort of pie.(chicken & ham or Steak & kidney)
    Toast with Cheese.
    McDonalds.

Now, I want to start eating healthier food.
    I'm gonna stop eating Chocolate and crisp, and the McDonalds.
    I need some suggestions on what i should eat that is healthy and will fill me up and give me enough energy.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Fish. It's tasty and good for you (not sure how, exactly, maybe less fat?). Salmon, cod, and pollack would be my faves.

I find potatoes and rice to be very filling, and they're pretty healthy too, so maybe instead of giving them up you could try eating them differently? Bowl of rice with stirfried veg? Tasty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

"....that is healthy and will fill me up and give me enough energy"

You're kinda shooting for two different things there :)

Protein will definitely fill you up - any decent 300 calorie bar that's split 30g protein / 30 g carb / etc, or higher on the protein side can keep you full for a good few hours.

Carbohydrates, on the other hand (rice, potatoes, bread, etc) will give you energy - esp good if you're going to the gym, or just finished a workout. However, depending on how refined they are (worst being white bread) they'll just give your body an insulin spike and you'll be hungry a short while after.

Fat, regardless of what they say, isn't that bad for you - butter is just fine :)

If you're into cooking, check out the 'South Beach Diet', and perhaps 'Body For Life' - they both have pretty balanced meals when you get down to it. The only thing that can get annoying, especially depending on your job, is eating five-six times a day. However, I do believe that the principles behind both books are sound and, if modified to suit your lifestyle, work out quite well.

Advertisement