Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Bluetooth through my phone/laptop

• 18-08-2003 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just have a question about setting up my Nokia 6310i with my laptop via bluetooth. Has anyone done this before? The Nokia software says I need a Nokia Connectivity Card (DTL-4) to do this, but apparently, this card is no longer available (according to Nokia's site).

So I was having a look for some bluetooth adapters, e.g.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?ck=1...p=34329&AvdID=1

Does anyone know if this would allow me to connect my phone to my laptop and use it as a modem?

Any help/suggestions would be great,
    Cheers,

DC.

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

yes...

other bluetooth adapters should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you need to be very careful with the Nokia Bluetooth implementation in the 6310(i)

dial-up networking would work no matter what Bluetooh adapter you used - but synchronisation would only operate with thier own Bluetooth adapter (CF card with PCMCIA adapter). This was then transferred on to Socket as a going concern and sold as their Nokia approved (CF card with PCMCIA adapter).

Nokia came in for major flack about only supporting one adapter for Bluetooth sync (as it flies in the face of one of the corner stones of Bluetooth, being interoperability) so they began to see if they could get it working with other adapters

Finally they got it sorted on the 6310i with firmware V5.50 03-03-03, and list the following as adapters they say they did interoperability testing with (note it will not work with the 6310):

BT serial profile improved for supporting PC Suite 4.88 with some BT devices from other suppliers: Mitsumi Bluetooth 1.1 Dongle (WidComm stack), Racewood Bluetooth Dongle (Extended Systems stack), TDK Bluetooth USB 1.1 (WidComm stack), SCM Bluetooth ZIO USB (WidComm stack), Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd. (WidComm stack), 3COM Bluetooth USB Adapter 3CREB96-EU (3Com stack), Acer Bluetooth USB Adapter (WidComm stack), Socket Bluetooth card (Digianswer stack), 3COM Bluetooth PC Card 3CRWB6096 v2 (3Com stack), Xircom (Intel) RealPort2 Bluetooth Adapter (PC Card) (Xircom stack), TDK 'go blue' PC Card BRBLU04-001A1-14 (WidComm stack), Fujitsu internal Bluetooth (Fujitsu stack), Compaq internal Bluetooth (WidComm stack), Toshiba internal Bluetooth (Toshiba stack)

on condition that firmware version 5.50 or later is on the handset and that PC-Suite 4.88 or later is installed on the PC

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

That's great, thanks for the info. Much appriciated. Don't suppose you know anywhere that has any of those cards readily available?

Cheers,

DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I got a D-Link DTL-120 bluethooth USB card from I.T. Direct on Parliment St. Dublin and upgraded my firmware in "The Phone Centre/Shop" (Not sure of the exact name, it's right across from the Mansion house) on Dawson St. All works now.

nice to know the D-Link works too thanks Mick L

btw - it's The Telephone Centre, 32 Dawson St (ph 8722542) - handy place to get your Nokia updated found them to be really fast (so long as they aren't snowed under might be worth buzzing to see how they are fixed if you want it done quickly), they might want some proof of purchase to check it's in warranty - like the receipt/club nokia card

one thought dcGT, might be worth looking for a Bluetooth USB adapter if you also have a PC that you wanted to use it with (easy to swap the USB between machines compared to a PC Card) - i'd usually get kit like that from the likes of www.expansys.com, with the TDK kit being one of the best in terms of support/features

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

Thanks DubWireless and Mick L ....that's very helpful, cheers. Yeah I was thinking of going USB...it's so much handier. Is this the one you recommend DubWireless?

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TRBLU03-00100-00

What are expansys.com like for delivering to Ireland?

Thanks again,

DC.

that's the one - TDK have a new model (version 2) coming out so there might be discounting on the original (version 1) model to shift stock in the near future - the telephone centre used to stock it but don't think they have any in stock anymore

ordering from expansys required to fax id and a copy of the card in order for them to process your first order, subsequent orders shipping to the billing address they don't need faxes (unless shipping to a differnet address) - not sure how they handle authorisation for different payment methods (no credit card)

only problem with expansys is they only offer courier shipping to ireland no matter what the item (which can make single accessory purchases expensive - but you get the item fast and trackable via fedex)

hth,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

dcGT

Not sure if it's still available, but Maplin in Blanchardstown and Jervis Street were doing an offer last week or the week before for a USB Bluetooth adapter.

Think it was about €40??? Not sure though.

you'll find their phone numbers here

you'd just want to make sure the adapter has either been tested (as listed in the nokia firmware upgrade info) - or the adapter comes with recent enough drivers / firmware itself

most bluetooth adapters are usually ok for most interoperability with most phones - just with the Nokia 6310(i) handset you need to be extra careful what equipment you are trying to get to work together (both from the firmware revision in the adapter and the stack/drivers supplied with it)

TDK would be on the pricier side compared to some others - but you get good support and timely updates and the effort they put into interoperability - e.g. their release on 6310i interoperability - TDK base their adapters on the CSR BlueCore chipset and Widcomm Stack/Drivers which many Bluetooh USB adapters are also based just with varying degress of support / updates

BrianG

Thanks for the information lads, very helpful!
    Yes I'd rather do as DubWireless recommends and get an adapter that I know will work with the 6310i.
    Do expansys deliver to Ireland reliably? Did you find their delivery service ok DubWireless?

Cheers,

DC

• Advertisement

they do - i buy most PDA's and accessories from them - so long as you fax the authentication details they require you will have no problems - you get a dispatch email stating goods are on the way and a fedex tracking number (so the goods would have to be signed for at the shipping address) and they arrive in a day or so (depending if a weekend gets in the way)

have a search around as the tdk is popular so it's sure to be stocked here too, althogh watch out you don't pay more e.g. import from Expansys with Fedex shipping around Eur 89, buy from Peats.com in Dublin Eur 149!

hth,
    BrianG

Cheers DubWireless, I'll keep an eye out it elsewhere. Can't believe the same one is 150 Euros in Peats!

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to add to all that has been said, I 've used the 6310 with the Xircom bluetooth PC card for dial-up networking without problem.

Hi Lads,
    Just to give you a quick update....
    I was talking to another friend of mine about bluetooth adaptors and he recommended a 'Sitecom' USB adaptor sold in maplins for 88 yoyos. He said it worked fine with the 6310i and had no problems with it. So I got one of these and it works very well so far.
    Now for my next question :) ...what is the best way of connecting up to the internet via bluetooth and the phone? I tried a dial-up connection (IOL Free's number 1890 XXXXX) but this number does not allow connections from mobiles. Does anyone know a good service that will? Does anyone know if o2 (my network) has a dial-up number /password ??

Any help would be great,

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

do you have access to gprs? i would imagine it would be cheaper than using an isp to dial up, plus it's faster and you get billed for data transferred rather than time connected. i've used it successfully with infrared to a 6310i, you just need set up the gprs apn on your phone to "internet" for postpaid and "pp.internet" for speakeasy, then create a dial-up networking profile to dial *99# and no login/password and away you go.

if you don't have gprs, then try 086 6066020. that's the internet access number that was pre-configured on my xda.

Hi crowbar,
    Yes connecting through GPRS would be a lot better by the sounds of it. OK, so I set the GPRS access point to 'internet' (for postpay o2). and in my dial-up networking profile, just get the phone to dial *99# ? Is that correct? Is that all I have to do?

Cheers,

DC

that's it afaik. someone here just mentioned you can also set the apn through a modem init setting:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

though i've always set mine manually.

Thanks for that, so just to clarify,
    in my GPRS settings on my phone :
    homepage : http://www.o2.ie
    Session mode : permanent
    Conn security : on
    Data bearer: GPRS
    GPRS conn. : when needed
    GPRS access point: internet
    IP address: 192.168.090.074
    Authentication type: normal
    Login type: automatic
    username: [BLANK]
    password: [BLANK]

Is that correct?
    By the way, I just tried dialing *99# from my phone directly but got a 'request not completed' error. Will this work properly when using a dial-up connection?

Thanks again,

DC

errm, they're your wap settings. you'll need to change the apn setting there back to "wap.dol.ie" or your wap won't work.

the one i meant is as follows:

settings -> gprs modem settings -> edit active access point -> gprs access point = internet
    settings -> gprs modem settings -> edit active access point -> alias for access point = an alias name, i call mine internet

sorry, should have been clearer.

i can't remember what it defaults to (probably blank) but the *99# will only work once your apn settings have been set either as above or using the modem init string. it's the code used to ask the phone to activate gprs. if it still gives you 'request not completed', then give the o2 customer care folk a call to check whether you're actually set up for the 'internet' apn.

or you can use the nokia modem control panel (if you installed it), following the same general steps in this thread (but with the 6310(i) bluetooth modem installed and assigned to the Bluetooth DUN Port):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106581

with O2 postpay Access Points being:

internet
    or
    open.internet

you would also want to look into subscribing to a GPRS package if you haven't yet done so by calling 1740 (and ensuring you are set up on those access points)

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

Ah I see...sorry, I see what you mean now crowbar :) , I'll give that a shot and let you know.

Thanks DubWireless, I'll give them a bell and set a GPRS package up too.

Thanks for all the help lads, I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

DC.

So I connected up as you said. Set the correct GPRS modem settings and have my GPRS service activated. I created the dial-up networking profile with the correct dial-up number (*99#). I also entered that modem string that crowbar gave (customer care in O2 actually told me to enter this too)......it connected and everything seemed fine. (got the two little screens in the system tray to show i'm connected, the 'G' was appearing on my phone)....BUT... :) when I went to my browser ...typed an address i just got 'Page cannot be displayed'. I wasn't 'working offline' either. (I also checked IE's settings to check if it saw the dial-up networking profile. It did. It was like the machine didn't know that the connection was active. I tried ping some external machine names etc. but no joy. I was getting nothing back. Also, when I looked at the connection properties, I saw that around 1500 bytes had been sent, but only 250 received. I tried connecting a few times. Again, dial-up was successful - verified username/password, logged on to network etc. but I could get nothing, just the same 250 bytes received, which I thought was a bit odd.
    Has anyone got any ideas on this ? Something I'm doing wrong? Any other things to check or try ?

Cheers,

DC

sounds like a name resolution problem.

a peculiarity with at least the o2 gprs network is that you need to enter the dns settings in manually: 62.40.32.33 and 62.40.32.34. leave the ip address setting to obtain it automatically though. without these you should be able to ping ip addresses (such as the dns servers above) but not names. (another one of these set-and-forget-when-someone-asks-you-how-to-set-this-up settings ...)

from windows you may need to increase the timeout to make ping work reliably: ping -w 3000 will wait 3 seconds for a reply instead of the default 1 second.

ah ok, will try that, now for a stupid question, where exactly do I enter these DNS settings ? :)

Thanks,

DC.

for winxp, right-click your dial-up networking profile and select properties. then networking tab -> select internet protocol (tcp/ip) -> properties -> select use the following dns server addresses and enter 62.40.32.33 and 62.40.32.34 in the two spaces there. don't have my 2k box booted up right now, but from memory it's roughly the same.

Cheers crowbar,
    tried that....entered the DNS...now it works like a charm :) Incidentally, do you know at what speed does the GPRS connect operate at?
    Also, does anyone know if there are any tarriffs available for GPRS on O2 contract? ...or is just the 3 cent/KB for everyone?

Thanks again,

DC.

good to hear dc!

the speed at which gprs works at depends on:
    • the number of timeslots that your handset can handle (3 downstream, 1 upstream most nokia phones i believe), and
    • the number of timeslots are available to you on the network at the time you connect, which depends on how congested your current cell is.
    practically speaking i've never actually measured it, but for me it seems faster than 33k and slower than 56k.

the gprs price plans are supposed to be at http://www1.o2.ie/products_services/mobile_internet/gprs/price_plans/ however this link appears to be broken at the moment! there are definitely tariffs that have inclusive mbs at a reduced rate. more generally the full list of tariffs is at http://www1.o2.ie/products_services/tariffs/new

Originally posted by DubWireless

The Telephone Centre, 32 Dawson St (ph 8722542) - handy place to get your Nokia updated found them to be really fast (so long as they aren't snowed under might be worth buzzing to see how they are fixed if you want it done quickly), they might want some proof of purchase to check it's in warranty - like the receipt/club nokia card

DubWireless, I was just wondering how much this procedure costs? I've firmware 4.8 on my 6310i and looking to upgrade it to the latest version,

Cheers,
    DC

if it's still under warranty - it costs nothing

at most nokia service points:

be prepared to say why you want the upgrade - your reason is to bluetooth sync with a non-nokia adapter - enabled with V5.50

and they may ask you for proof it is in warranty - e.g. a receipt / club nokia card / id (with the phone registered to it)

might be worth a buzz before hand to check what warranty proof (if any) they need - once i wasn't asked, another time i was, although i think that depended more on who was processing it

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

I'll give them a shout,

Cheers

DC

Advertisement