Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train Jurney

• 18-08-2003 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Was in Italy a few weeks ago, and took a 3 hour journey for myself and one other person and it cost 22 euro. This was on a newish air-conditioned train. Somelike the the Enterprise to Belfast, except the Enterprise is to Belfast cost 27 euro for one person.

I can't remember how much it is to Sligo on the 1960s train, perhaps someone can post the price of that, but it show how much of a Rip off Ireland has become.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Not that I normally do this but.

When I was in the States I rented a Harley, it cost rought $5.00 to run the bike for about 120 miles.

The dollar is roughly parity with the Euro.

In Ireland it costs about €11.00 to run my bandit 600 for roughly 160 kilometers.

Keep in mind a Harely is a 1450 cc monster, essentailly a Tractor on two wheels and a Bandit is an efficient piece of Japanese engineering, so it's not the sort of gas guzzeler a Harely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

In Italy train tickets are calculated by distance, so you can see the HUGE difference

For example:

Milan - Venice - total travel time about 3.5 hours cost = +/- €25

distance = approx 300 km

And there is very little difference between high and low quality trains - they are all good ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by bloggs
    Was in Italy a few weeks ago, and took a 3 hour journey for myself and one other person and it cost 22 euro. This was on a newish air-conditioned train. Somelike the the Enterprise to Belfast, except the Enterprise is to Belfast cost 27 euro for one person.

I can't remember how much it is to Sligo on the 1960s train, perhaps someone can post the price of that, but it show how much of a Rip off Ireland has become.

€22 single €30 return.
    The Dublin - Sligo train dates from the mid 1970's and is Air Conditioned (although I am uncertain if the aircon has been serviced since the mid 70's)

Irish rail fares are not signficantly higher than those in most of Europe, they do not offer the discounted limited availability (APEX type) fares many other operators do, but in many countries open fares are very expensive.

For example London - Manchester

A 14 day advance purchase return can be as low as £22 while a full open return is £136, the first is a very limited (10% of seats or less) fare that is valid only on the selected train while the latter is available anytime on any train. There are many other fares in between these extremes with varying levels of restriction, on some busy trains few discounts are available wheras off-peak there are large reductions. A more typical fare would be around £40 - 50 return for most trains.

Irish Rail do not offer these advance purchase / restricted travel discounts, but their open tickets are more reasonable, there is a large penalty for single tickets however.

Dublin - Cork Single: €48.50
    Return: €58.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by John R
    Dublin - Cork Single: €48.50
    Return: €58.00
    When did the train ticket prices get hiked up? The last time I got a return train ticket to Cork it was €51.50, that was a few months ago (start of May I think). It must be nearly cheaper to fly at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A 1 day return and 5 day return ticket is €51.50, €58.00 is a monthly return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement