Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manu Chao on Wednes in the Point

• 18-08-2003 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Anyone else going? Can't wait, missed him the last time.
    http://www.manuchao.net/

Also keep hearing that Asian Dub Foundation are amazing live, though they haven't been my thing on cd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Originally posted by Pearl
    Anyone else going? Can't wait, missed him the last time.
    http://www.manuchao.net/

Also keep hearing that Asian Dub Foundation are amazing live, though they haven't been my thing on cd.

Sadly not able to go, seen the ADF a few times live, never been disappointed, much better than on cd, although RAFI's Revenge is pretty fantastic, most recent one didn't do much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

im going, hee hee, it shall be alot of fun, expect a lot of french and spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

How much are the tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Around 28 europeans.

Me gusta cerveca.

its today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Lucky bastads, wish I was going - all my friends either don't like Manu or else haven't heard of them.

did they loops the first half an hour five times?
    hey
    hey
    hey
    hey

bongo bitch

It was amazing. THey played for about 2 hours 20mins. The crowd were wild, never felt so much atmosphere in the barn that is the Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by Saint-dotsie
    did they loops the first half an hour five times?
    hey
    hey
    hey
    hey

bongo bitch
    Yes they did :mad:

Sorry Pearl, I thought this was the worst gig I've ever seen. I used to be a big fun of Manu Chao, now I just hate him coz is a ****ing sell out.
    2 hours of ska that sounded more like an accellerated polka: a bunch of catch phrases ripped-off from previous records and from Manonegra sung on standard riffs that sounded like the "Salsa" preset pattern of a CASIO keyboard.

Everybody there was dancing, having a great fun and cheering when yer man was shouting cliche crap like "Bush is the #1 terrorist!" or "Smoke Marjuana!"

I was just enraged and utterly bored.... I felt like Lisa Simpson

Thank God, Asian Dub Foundation were amazing, fcuk Manu Chao

awe thats harsh, i mean if i ever hear another ska beat that goes 1,2 1,2 or bassline that goes bam bom bam bom i think ill choke but the guy did put on a good show, the 2nd encore was so over the top and the cheek of him to do a third
    but all in all it was a good atmosphere

• Advertisement

Agreed about the Bush and maruajana comments, but it was still a great show. Was expecting it to be more funk than ska.

For someone so into his blow he was pretty dam hyper. Maybe I should try it instead of coffee in the mornings...

i found him pompous and his vocal style couldnt be any more bob marley..good performer tho

Well, he's a great entertainer, defo

apparently hes 42 i thought he was 24

Originally posted by Saint-dotsie
    i thought he was 24
    Yeah, which means he joined his ex band 'Manonegra' at the age of 9 :D

They were a punk band right?

Not really... their genre is called 'patchanka' that's some sort of a blend of Ska, Reggae, Old school Punk, funk and, basically, anything you can think of :)

Deadly stuff... check http://www.angelfire.com/ma/manonegra/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

Well I'm a fan. Not a huge one, but a fan nonetheless.

He has something going in his music. The problem is that he's just a little bit more famous than his talent and music warrants. He's a little bit too big for the type of artist that he is.

He should never emerge from doing that sort of underground thing. That's where his magic lies.

There's no room for Stadium Regge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Keithaburke
    He has something going in his music. The problem is that he's just a little bit more famous than his talent and music warrants. He's a little bit too big for the type of artist that he is.
    That's funny that's the message I take from the lyrics in the bongo song

"Went to the city where there is a lot of sound ... nobody go crazy when I make my little sound" or some such - sorry if I have the lyrics disastrously wrong.

Yeah but that's a cover of Mano Negra, it did make sense at the time... not now, I agree

• Advertisement
Advertisement