Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database Table Size

Options
  • 18-08-2003 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I have a database table where every 10(ish) seconds I update the entry with the uptime of the system.

Problem is, is that the size of the table increases slightly every time I update the entry. And over a period of time the size of the table gets large. E.g. I after running over the weekend the table was 5MB in size and when I compacted it it went back down to 100KB. there is only one row in the table.

Is there anyway I can prevent the size from increasing without using compact?

I'm using Mckoi database as an embedded db in a java (1.4) appliation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Do you need to store all those entrys or just need the most upto date one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Do you need to store all those entrys or just need the most upto date one ?

I only have one entry in the table with a couple of columns and I update the uptime column periodically. The rest of the table stays the same.
    I don't actually add new entries I just update what is already there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

If you're doing an update on a single row that starts out at 100k and has nothing but a few fields changing, hitting 5mb, then you have a db error.

Try sqlite or tbh, if all this db is doing is logging uptime, try a flat file, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by Typedef
    If you're doing an update on a single row that starts out at 100k and has nothing but a few fields changing, hitting 5mb, then you have a db error.

Try sqlite or tbh, if all this db is doing is logging uptime, try a flat file, ffs.

K thanks I'll look into it.

that's only one part of my db. that's only one table.
    It does a lot more than just storing uptime .

Advertisement