Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Community: Chinese/Cantonese language

Options
  • 18-08-2003 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

This would fit right into the languages board, anyways I feel that Ireland has a big enough population for this board.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

i think its a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it's only fvcking temporary 'feen'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Do we have any Chinese members on boards? What kinds of rules will you have regarding posting? UTF-8 is out.... Pinyin romanization works for Putonghua (Standard "Mandarin" Chinese) but Yue (Guangzhong or "Cantonese") uses a different transliteration usually. And then there is Wu, Hakka, Gan, Xiang, and Min....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I think the board idea is a good one. Theres defo a population for it.

I wish Merc would really piss off back to his vile little PearTree board where he can spare us his idiocy.

I don't like people that disrupt and troll nonstop. Merc has to be funny in every thread. Be funny in some places Merc but shut your fucking hole in others and let people get on with their business.

Street carnivals are grand in grafton street but i wouldn't want a clown in a boardroom meeting. Know what I mean ? You just need to learn to shut your gob before it gets smacked again. Wheres sera when you need her ?

Mercs attitude and behaviour in this thread needs to be reprimanded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is a good idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    This would fit right into the languages board, anyways I feel that Ireland has a big enough population for this board.

Would you use the board yourself?

There are Chinese people in Ireland. Are there Chinese people on Boards? Do any of you who think it's a good idea know any Chinese or are you learning it? The Japanese board isn't too inspiring.

Of course one thrilling topic of discussion could be cool Chinese tatoos. (Ugh.) But we have a forum for that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I do know there are a good few asian boards users. The Japanese forum died a death but I think if the right person moderated the Chinese one it might do ok.

Would it be insulting to have an Asian Languages Forum ? Kinda like the Scandanavian forum ?

It would be wrong to try to lump "Asian" languages into a single place. They are hugely diverse and many are completely unrelated to one another. Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish one the other hand are arguably either strongly divergent dialects of the same language, or three languages similar enough that people can understand each other with just a little patience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Will the moderator please delete the nipply bits of this thread?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Merc, Yoda and yellum banned from Feedback/Suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I realise poking Yoda with heated knitting needles may be flavour of the month at the moment but I can't see where he's done anything on the thread to justify a ban.

I've no opinion on the board as I wouldn't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Do you speak Chinese yourself Demeant0r? It would be good if the mod was fluent or at least had a good grasp of the language.
    I know there are quite a few Chinese boards.ie members, maybe they would be willing to help.

The more languages the better in my opinion.

NB. I know it may not be my place, but Merc, that was really over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I don't think we need this board.
    I think we are becoming saturated with new boards (I'm one to talk with Championship Manager being a new board). It's not that I have a problem with new boards, I just have a problem with new boards being created just for the sake of them.
    I mean, is Demeant0r requesting this because he thinks it would be a good board to have and be used quite often or is it purely because there is already a Japanese, Spanish, French etc board?
    The fact that there is a sufficent population in Ireland to have this board does not mean there is a sufficent population on boards to have it.

P.S. I don't think Yoda deserved a banning.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I've a friend who for the life of him couldn't find decent (free)Cantonese lessons online, even for resources such as that I think it would be quite useful.

I don't suppose there's a character library ( or something) that wold allow Chinese characters to be used on boards?
    I'm sure that would aid too.

Thumbs up, wish these languages were easier to learn :) . I'll have to browse through the japanese board...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I will create a Chinese forum, but I'm not sure if it should be limited to Cantonese in case there is a demand for Mandarin.

I think we should consider expaning Languages to the ODP category of World so that other non-Language topics could be considered in forums such as French or German.

Troll no more.

Where/what is ODP? Or World?

See here as to the name of the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

What about INDIAN......
    There are INDIANS as well?????

Don

• Advertisement

Kyaa ye kele tazee haim?

There is no "Indian" language... I guess the rules would be that if there are communities of Boards users who want a forum to talk about or in Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Malayalam, Tamil, or other languages, they could ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by Puck
    Would you use the board yourself?
    Yes I would, although I don't use boards as much as I would like to, now being a leaving certer and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Do you speak Chinese yourself Demeant0r? It would be good if the mod was fluent or at least had a good grasp of the language.
    I know there are quite a few Chinese boards.ie members, maybe they would be willing to help.

The more languages the better in my opinion.

NB. I know it may not be my place, but Merc, that was really over the top.
    I speak it quite fluently, but after 10 years of not writing it my writing knowledge has fallen down a drain, so I don't know if it's best if I moderate it, I could possibly moderate with another chinese boarder like Mirv

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

yoda

ha ha ha ha h

YE KEELE TAZEE HAI

Conosta tu,

thomeg ma,

ha ha h aha ha

Advertisement