Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern looks to power grid for broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Unfortunately, dont know anyone who will be plt trialists in Tuam..i'm sure contact with an end user would also be useful so if anyones following this thread and is due to be an ESB plt guinea pig, please post here.
    IrelandOffline could find this out for you via the Department of Communications. Probably the ESB too, they don't seem too keen on PLT.

adam

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Probably the ESB too, they don't seem too keen on PLT.
    ...but they're almost certainly tied up in NDAs from the PLT people. Plus, it would be a bit problematic privacywise for them to name individual customers who are trialling a product.

Given that the trials are happening in and around the industrial estate, chances are the triallists are businesses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

...but they're almost certainly tied up in NDAs from the PLT people.

Doesn't matter unless the ESB forces trialists to sign one. Which of course they will. :)

Plus, it would be a bit problematic privacywise for them to name individual customers who are trialling a product.

Obviously the ESB would need to ask the trialists permission first.

Given that the trials are happening in and around the industrial estate, chances are the triallists are businesses.

Ah, sure those incorporated yokes don't deserve privacy. :)

adam

(The DPA is one enormous benefit of staying self-employed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Head hurts, so many links, so many things within one foot of me emmitting so much radiation

I think i'll build a house using this somewhere in the hills and leave ye all to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Brendan didn't mention the interesting history of clutter in the lower bands such as The Woodpecker and The Grasshopper and The Slot Machine .....theres plenty more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Originally posted by Muck
    Brendan didn't mention the interesting history of clutter in the lower bands such as The Woodpecker and The Grasshopper and The Slot Machine .....theres plenty more.

I didn't mention it because it is utterly irrelevant to this PLT discussion

I remember the woodpecker particularly well and it caused lots of problems in it's day but only to part of one HF band amateur band at a time and since it was a form of impulse interference there were some very effective noise blanker designs that removed the worst of the noise. The woodpecker did not run 24H/7days a week and spent much of it's time outside the amateur bands.

Interestingly the woodpecker was quite sensitive to amateur ' countermeasures '
    Short text file here
    http://www.qsl.net/ve3mcf/elecraft_reflect/Woodpecker_Notes.txt

The other systems you mention are narrow band systems, are in general within their correct spectrum allocations and are just a few of the many things that make Shortwave Listening an interesting and diverse hobby.

PLT noise is very broadband junk across the entire HF radio spectrum and since it is not impulsive in nature it cannot be dealt with by the use of noise bankers and since it is radiated from multiple sources phasing style active noise cancellation is ineffective too.

.Brendan

Advertisement