Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My PC wont shut down ....

• 18-08-2003 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

... it restarts.

My PC wont shut down for some reason, iy just restarts now. The only things I have installed that would have possibly czaused this problem is the MS Blaster worm fix [didnt get it though. did a virus scan] ans Logitech iTouch software for my desktop.

Anyone know anything. Has anyone had a possible problem wiyj either the MS Blaster worm patch or the Logitech software?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I personally didn't have problems with the removal util or the patch, and have fixed numerous computers infected with that slippery ba$tard at this stage.

Which OS and what service pack have you installed?

I'm Win2k + SP4, and have had zero problems since.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Im running XP Pro with Service Pack 1.

I updated the iTouch drivers last night further in case it was a problem with the iTouch drivers that came with the Desktop but it seems not to be.

Also, i did download the 32bit XP patch. There is a 32 bit and 64bit and i wasent too sure which. MS advised to go 32bit ... i fear and am sad to say i trusted them :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any options in your BIOS to reboot automatically?

Thinks like
    WAKEUP ON LAN
    RESUME ON LAN
    WAKEUP ON PME
    RESUME ON PME
    POWER ON BY PCI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You haven't installed Easy CD Creator have you ?
    It has the effect you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

have you tried a system restore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Also, i did download the 32bit XP patch.
    Unless you have a 64bit OS (ie none standard XP) then you got the right one afaik.

Im afraid i can't help with your problem tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I would also re-install SP1 before you do a system restore.

SYMPTOMS
    When you shut down your Windows XP-based computer, your computer may restart instead of shutting down, and you may see a blue screen for just a moment before the computer restarts.
    CAUSE
    The behavior can occur if the following conditions exist:
    You have "automatically restart" selected.
    The Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 or Direct CD 5.0 program is installed on your computer.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, contact Roxio or view the following Roxio Web site to download and install the updated driver for Easy CD Creator 5.0 for Windows XP:
    http://www.roxio.com

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

To work around this issue, uninstall Roxio Easy CD Creator or Direct CD.
    MORE INFORMATION
    Windows XP may encounter a problem during startup that results in a STOP error message. Depending on the system configuration, the error message on a blue screen may not be displayed long enough to record the error information. To gather important information about the STOP error message and to verify the cause:
    Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK. The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.
    "Stop 0x0000000a(0x00000029,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x80466d7b" Error Message after Windows Is Already Installed
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

When this issue occurs, use the following troubleshooting steps:
    Uninstall the Easy CD Creator software.
    Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Security

Remove the file called Etetnt.mpd; it has a revision date of 1997.
    Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Remove the following files:
    Cdr4vsd
    Cdralw2k
    Cdr4_2k
    Cdudf
    For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    310628 Easy CD Creator 5.0 Does Not Function In Windows XP

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

I dont have Easy CD creator installed. Im a Nero man :)

Ill do a reinstall of Service Pack1 and hope for the best.

Ill tell you if it works or doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Yep you downloaded the right version of the patch alright (32bit).

Do a re-install of SP1, and see does that sort it out. I'm certain the patch introduced a conflict somwhere. It has to be the patch's fault considering your PC was fine until you installed it. So I doubt it has anything to do with dodgy CD burner software.

give that and go, and tell us how you get on!

[edit]FFS, now I see that you're doing that already. Well that's what you get for talking to someone in the room, and reading at the same time :rolleyes:[/edit]

;-phobos-)

didnt fix it :(

Reinstalled the Blaster worm patch then did a full Service Pack 1 install. Restarted afterwards then selected Shut down. It just restarts.

I am now assuming its the Logitech software and will send an email out to them once i can find my way around their site. This annoys me now cos i gotta keep flicking the master switch at the back of my case to shut it down.

• Advertisement

OK, i have tried to send an email to Logitech but there website email form yolkie doesnt work. Its "Down for maintaince" :rolleyes: .

I then tried to send an email to support@logitech.com, info@logitech.com but just getting an error back..

So, anyone have any email address for Logitech that works? Poxy basterds dont even have one listed on their web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Have you tried uninstalling the Logitech software/rolling back the driver?

Have it fixed now. Installed some new Logitech Mouseware software.

It seems it actucully was the Logitech software that was causing my PC to restart insted of shutting down.

Damn Logitech :)

Advertisement