Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All CAO wh00tage and queries to be posted here....

Options
  • 18-08-2003 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Let's try and keep everything in one place. :)

There's a few questions which pop up for everyone when the CAO offers come out, most of which are happily answered in the handbook, but sure I'll try do it here....... Check to see if your question is answered here first, thanks...

The main tenant of the CAO system - Students may only have one accepted offer in the system at any time. You start without any accepted offer. You may accept or reject any offers made to you, in any round. However, if you do not accept an offer by the required date, it's gone - you can't go back and decide you want it. Any offer you accept overrides any previous accepted offer you had (ie you reject the previous offer), and then the previous offer is gone. Once an offer is gone, it's gone, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I was offered my first preference in the first round, but I've decided I want a lower preference. Can I get it?
    No. You get offered the highest preference that you qualify for. All lower preferences are then gone and you will not be offered them.

I was offered a preference in the first round which wasn't my first one. If I accept it, can I be offered my first, or any higher preference?
    Yes. In subsequent rounds, if you qualify for higher preferences, you will be offered them, and you can accept them.

I was offered a preference in the first round which wasn't my first one, but I've decided that I don't want any of my higher preferences. What happens if I get offered a higher preference in another round?
    You don't have to accept any offer made to you. Once you've accepted an offer, that place is yours, and there is no obligation to accept any subsquent offers.

Should I reject an offer and wait to see if I get a higher preference in another round?
    Probably not, unless you really don't want to do the course you've been offered. As above, you can accept the offer, and still be offered a place on a higher preference in another round. If you choose to reject the original offer, you may not get any of your higher preferences later on, and you'll be left without a college place.

I rejected an offer in one round, but have now decided that I want it. Can I get it?
    No. Once an offer is rejected, it's gone. Tough.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

w00t!

got my first preference. go me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

I got my first preference too, but dont think i want it anymore. It's in Galway. What was I thinking??!!

Congrats to all who got what they wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Well , I got my 6'th choice , but the others were all straight law degrees , so I never expected to get them , So , in a way my 6th was my 1st choice See ye all in galway!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Pardon me for barging in - is there a central place you can see what courses cost points wise? Just curious what my rather fantastic 275 points (seven years ago - jebus!) would get me today...

And selling_irish - don't be dissing this town of Galway - it's the best party town in the country - ask any Dub ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Kharn
    Pardon me for barging in - is there a central place you can see what courses cost points wise? Just curious what my rather fantastic 275 points (seven years ago - jebus!) would get me today...

And selling_irish - don't be dissing this town of Galway - it's the best party town in the country - ask any Dub ;)
    http://www.cao.ie/institutions/2003pts.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

first choice finally.

Comp Sys in UL.

now just 2 weeks to find accomodation....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

first choice, altho once the points were out there was never any doubt
    hurrah!

i hope i ****ing like this course!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

galway is one of the best places to go to college, farkin loved my time there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

I got an offer from trinity's tap programme as well as the cao. Anyway, on the offer from tap they offered me tr269 English and Philosophy . Im just wondering how I work out how many points it was.

Thanks in advance
    -Stevo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

I want to change my name to CaptainComeback or somethin because when I calculated my points at being 30 below what I needed for my first choice I never thought I'd get it!..............:)

Jammyness is my middle name! :D

Hard luck to anybody who didnt get what they wanted :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Got my first choice. Infact it dropped 40 points so i was 50 clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Product Design in DIT - 385 points
    Me - 390 points
    And its a new course so i had absolutly no idea what the points would be.
    Only one word describes this - PPPHHHEEEWWWW
    did the absolute minimum amount of work and got in, the system works!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

CA in DCU here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

actuarial and financial maths in dcu :D munny munny munny, must b funny, in sionnach's world :) campus accomodation too, will b gr8 craic. When does dcu actually start for us freshers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by sionnach
    When does dcu actually start for us freshers?
    Fresher's week starts 22nd of Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

No I love Galway! I've spent half my life there. I wayyyy prefer it to Dublin. I was just a bit nervous this morning - I was supposed to be moving there with my family, if my brother got his place in NUI Galway, that is. But the points went from 555 to 570, and he got 560, so it was a complete kick in the teeth. So now I've been offered Galway, and the rest of my family will be staying here (in Dublin). This morning that seemed verrry daunting, and I still haven't decided what to do. Confusing times!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Good post to start this with!

Just one query....

I got my second choice but want my 1st(still!)
    Im happyish with my second so gonna take year out as planned, if I get DIT to agree the deferral and there's a second round points drop could I get offered my first choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

If you accept your second choice , you will be offered your first choice in the points drop , so you can accept it and still be in with a chance to get your first , Im 99.99999999999% sure that this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

Originally posted by honeymonster
    I got an offer from trinity's tap programme as well as the cao. Anyway, on the offer from tap they offered me tr269 English and Philosophy . Im just wondering how I work out how many points it was.

Thanks in advance
    -Stevo

its under the TR001 subject code
    English was 540
    Philosphy was 475*
    so you would have needed 540 to do that combination of subject

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Originally posted by ceewa
    its under the TR001 subject code
    English was 540
    Philosphy was 475*
    so you would have needed 540 to do that combination of subject

Cheers thanks. It was an clerical error I got my first choice which was tr081. Hurray for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Got Engineering at Cambridge. Happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sunburned

Argh I got Arts in Maynooth.Wanted Arts in UCD.Got exactly 375(its the same for both colleges)but UCD was my first choice.I have Arts in University of Ulster so I'm going to accept everything and hope I get UCD:)

I have a great aunt in Galway saying prayers for me.

Hope everyone is happy

Advertisement