Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multi tasking

• 18-08-2003 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

iam looking to get another monitor(tft) for a ati 9800 pro and was
    woundering would my system be undering pressure doing 2 programs
    and the same time.
    is there many ppl who used 2 monitors and
    run 2 programs at the same time, eg like playing a game and copying a cd?

sys
    2200+ xp
    516 ddr ram
    80 gig 7200 2mb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ehh ure going to have to re write that cus to me thats like .. wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

most modern computers (including yours) should have no problem running two programs at once in fact i'm doing it right now :)

as for having two monitors i think it will just stretch your desktop and should not slow down your performance that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Cr3m0
    is correct.

it makes no difference to computer
    its just extension of viewable area on graphics card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

516mb ram?

No no no.

You'll have to get a 3.5ghz Intel Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading.
    3 x 1024 mb PC4000 DDR-RAM, and a SCSI 15,000rpm 200gig Hard Drive Disk to run (at least) notepad and Internet Explorer at the same time. Opening calc.exe then, you'll need a T3 line.

Face it. You're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Conz you owe me a new sarcasm detector !!!

you should have no problem with that Clansman, the only thing is if you're burning a cd and playing games at the same time this may put a strain on the hard disk and reduce read time. make sure that you're burner and hard disk are on seperate ide slots/cables. Personally I do what you're talking about using one monitor, but i use 2 hard disks, don't want to have many cd coasters just cuz i play games off of the same hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

As people have said you dont need 2 monitors for that...
    2 monitors can work in 2 ways. One is that it acts like one large monitor, 2nd is that you have a game running on one and irc on the other. I experimented with this (ran Asherons call and Irc on seperate monitors) and saw very little degredation (if any) in the performance. However you you plan to use 2 heavy gpu programs (or even 1 and a bit) then your gonna see a performance drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by clansman

Well thats a very bad example of multitasking imo.

Depending (to an extent) on the speed of your cd-writer and how much CPU usage it needs you should never burn a cd and do stuff which can be demandin on your machine whilst burning a cd.

You can encounter whats called a 'buffer underrun' which means that the ROM is writing to the cd but no data is being put on the cd, so there for you end up with a corrupt cd.

I have a radeon 7500 with svidio out and when i hook it to my telly via scart i can watch a dvd while say writing a word document or something that doesnt involve the Media player the dvd is using to run the dvd.

Its very simple configuration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by conZ
    516mb ram?

No no no.

You'll have to get a 3.5ghz Intel Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading.
    3 x 1024 mb PC4000 DDR-RAM, and a SCSI 15,000rpm 200gig Hard Drive Disk to run (at least) notepad and Internet Explorer at the same time. Opening calc.exe then, you'll need a T3 line.

Face it. You're ****ed.

best bit of scarcasim(sp.) i've heard in ages

you earn a gold star

*Edit* Wh00t 500th post

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

conz thanks for the info i'll up grade my system right away..

i just used the playing a game and copying a game as an example.
    i'll prob be playing internet games and playing/changin music and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Oh Oh O,o
    where do i start.
    i huve a 17'' tft and a 17'' crt on my geforce 4 's
    dual out puts.
    Cr3m0
    is correct.

it makes no difference to computer
    its just extension of viewable area on graphics card

Really? funny that im ircing on my tft and browing on my crt then.
    Well thats a very bad example of multitasking imo.

Depending (to an extent) on the speed of your cd-writer and how much CPU usage it needs you should never burn a cd and do stuff which can be demandin on your machine whilst burning a cd.

You can encounter whats called a 'buffer underrun' which means that the ROM is writing to the cd but no data is being put on the cd, so there for you end up with a corrupt cd.

by the looks of things Clansman has a much sweeter system than you so he probably doesnt have to worry about underruns. Used to get them in college on crappy 600 MHz machines when trying to stream movies off the web, but I dont see how a gaming macine like clansmans would have these problems.
    As people have said you dont need 2 monitors for that...
    2 monitors can work in 2 ways. One is that it acts like one large monitor, 2nd is that you have a game running on one and irc on the other. I experimented with this (ran Asherons call and Irc on seperate monitors) and saw very little degredation (if any) in the performance. However you you plan to use 2 heavy gpu programs (or even 1 and a bit) then your gonna see a performance drop.

ok I admit its not quite the same, I run 2 X servers, u can easily play UT2003 in one and do anything else on the other, even run a dedicated UT2003, RTFC Server in the background and still go watching movies of playing xmms visualisations in the other. monitor. I mean ur allways multi tasking, its just that usually the tasks that require a graphical display are more system consuming, but if ur system is up to scratch this should be no problem.
    My biggest problem was trying to get the periferals sorted, like the keyboard and mouse bindings. Of course some OS will hadle this better than others, but the prinicple is SOUND.

• Advertisement

My biggest problem was trying to get the periferals sorted, like the keyboard and mouse bindings. Of course some OS will hadle this better than others, but the prinicple is SOUND.

what was the problem? i have an ati 9800pro and by pressing alt+f4 (i think) it changes from one monitor to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by clansman
    what was the problem? i have an ati 9800pro and by pressing alt+f4 (i think) it changes from one monitor to the other.

you might want to check into that clansman, alt + f4 closes things :) hehe unless you've managed to disable it :)

i just check it out, u can select your own short cut key for switching displays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

nah for some strange reason the mouse and keyboard didnt work on my other X-server which was wierd, it was all messed up. But I set it up in a really stupid way cause I didnt really know what I was doing. But I have it set up fairly ok now.

Advertisement