Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-law to ban Skateboarding in Cork

• 19-08-2003 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Cork County Council is this week looking into introducing a law to ban skateboarding in Cork.
    For more info goto www.skateireland.org

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

well they are ruining emmet place :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

They don't really have anywhere else parasite, remember the park got shut down because of insurance costs. Besides would you rather see kids taking drugs or stealing cars? All they're trying to do is have some fun.
    What harm does it do to you personally? I think it livens the place up a bit and some of them are really good, it's quite impressive to watch.

Hopefully this law won't be passed. I don't think it's actually legal to take away a childs happiness is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

it's like the usa in the late 80's to early 90's.
    what would you rather see them doing parasite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

at sunday the rukos summer tour came to galway(it was lashing rain and we have out door park:/) andme and few friends were trying to look for them. The police stoped us took all our skateboards and drove off. we had to go down to the station and pay 30 euro fine to get our boards back. Tehy said theres a law about skateboarding in galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Originally posted by parasite
    well they are ruining emmet place :mad:

Lads ..... i think he means they are ruining Emmet place as a skate spot.

I dont think that the council can just think up such a by-law without members of the public being given the option to contest it. Just because they want it doesn't make it so.

Everyone needs to pull together for this one .... could even result in a park if cards were played right.

• Advertisement

well we're not mind readers :)

So, could you clear that up please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

street skating: keeping the kids off the streets

the pro public skating folk are quick to say that its keeping the kids off drugs or from stealing cars or boozing or whatever. sure it is... if people want to do this then they are going to do this.

opera house: the last bastian

the opera house is a pretty sweet spot. not too much going on but its flat. once the skaters keep off the footpath (close to the shops ) i dont see how its a problem. its when some muppet bounces of the ground and screams "fcuk!" thats a problem.

city hall: the last march of the damned

whats needed here is a good old fashions protest (any excuse) get some of the college skaters to talk to their respective SUs with regard to legalities and other stuff. precede this with awareness campaigns and petitions.

if all else fails, a coup might not exactly out of order.

jaz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

:rolleyes: and when you see how cities like Paris set aside areas specifically for skaters, it really brings home the 'you can't grow up having fun' here type values.

keep doing it guys, it's fun to watch.
    ww)

It is what it's.

Why is it every other Country in the World finds way to satisfy their skaters needs and MAYBE at the same time help their tourism industry and have another + point for your country on the world map.

The only good thing our government is doing at the moment is driving young people out of the country faster than the hoardes moving to america during the famine! :mad:

Young and dynamic doesn't work here, they want dreary, drab boring mindless twats for a public and government. Good things get put down, bad things get put up i.e the syringe in the sky on o'connell st - I'm sure they'll be flocking from all over to see it in all it's glory :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Also banning the youth from the area will just cause them to gather in their housing estates which will also be a focal point for complaints. Or else they will just sit at home in their houses watching tv rather than being in the fresh air........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by D-Generate
    Or else they will just sit at home in their houses watching tv rather than being in the fresh air........
    Don't knock it, it's a living :p

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Originally posted by TacT
    i.e the syringe in the sky on o'connell st - I'm sure they'll be flocking from all over to see it in all it's glory :rolleyes:

I thought it was a giant golf tee and earth was the golf ball... bertie and his cronies have been brain washed into erecting this thing so that an alien race will come along and play intergalactic golf with our dumb asses.

I actually like it... I’m impressed that the govt. would be so bold as to salute what Dublin truly is... the worlds largest methadone clinic

jaz?

Advertisement