Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Power Convertors required

• 19-08-2003 10:09am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys.. need some help here asap..

Im looking for buy in some North American power convertors for some users here, ya know the ones where you plug your irish plug into this and then that unit into the american socket. The problem being I cant find anywhere that sells them.

I know they are available in the airport but to be honest I dont trust them to get them themselves and then when they forget Ill get the ear bashing when they get back from the US.. I know it wont be my fault but it will happen.. :rolleyes:

So anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

they have em in Dunnes and Roches ... and ... well, all over the place

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Do they?

Ive looked all over, thought roches would have them but they didnt..
    Never thought of Dunnes to be honest.

Thanks,

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Erm, I'd say that you're thinking of an adaptor, rather than a transformer/inverter.

For them to be of any use, your device would have to be able to take 230v (shavers and other portable stuff should be, computers/fax machines etc. may not - though some may have a little switch, so make sure to check).

Also, there's the frequency thing to consider. Even using a step-down transformer to get 110 (okay, 115)v from an Irish 230V supply, it's still at 50Hz instead of the US 60Hz; this can scupper things like TVs, electrical clocks, and a surprisingly wide range of other things. US mains clocks, for example, will lose 10 minutes an hour unless they're fitted to an inverter-based rig that'll give them 60Hz. However, if your device comes with a "wall wart" type power supply that spits out DC, it's fine.

(With the obvious caveat that the adaptor must be able to adjust to suit the supplied voltage - a US adaptor that takes in 110AC and spits out 12DC will spit out ~25DC if supplied with 230VAC, assuming none of the components are blown out by the excess voltage)

The moral of the story is: be careful, and don't be too surprised if it doesn't work first time... and be careful.

Gadget

Advertisement