Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad batch of CDRs from Maplins

• 19-08-2003 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it's an unusual occurrence, but not having had any problems with them in the past, I bought a batch of CDRs from Maplins the other day (100 unbranded CDRs for €62, almost twice the price they used to be?). Anyway, using Roxio, I have used the CDRs for both music and for data. None of them have worked out. Other PCs can't read them, they won't play in the sound system, they have all been crap.

Incase it was a problem with the CD writer, I copied some stuff onto CDR from another batch which worked just fine, so I reckon the Maplin batch is a bad batch. Won't be going back to Maplins for CDRs in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Have you tried them at a slower write speed?

Saw some on the weekend that would only write at 24x even though they were rated 48x. Nero would try burning them higher on the plexy but they kept f***ing up. (PC-LIne disks i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by dod
    I don't know if it's an unusual occurrence, but not having had any problems with them in the past, I bought a batch of CDRs from Maplins the other day (100 unbranded CDRs for €62, almost twice the price they used to be

firstly u got done
    34.00 for 100 blank cds in almost every pc shop that i know of and mostly are named

but i usualy never buy unbranded ones as i dont know how good they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by dod
    ..... Won't be going back to Maplins for CDRs in the near future.
    Go back with your receipt and tell them what happened and ask them to replace them.
    I got one faulty batch from them about 18 months ago and they replaced it. I had to explain the problem to about 4 different guys but in the end they gave me a new batch.
    Worth the effort, I think.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Originally posted by dod
    (100 unbranded CDRs for €62, almost twice the price they used to be?)

Yeah, that's a rip-off. I used some unbranded/own-brand ones before and I ALWAYS got a few bad ones. So now I just buy decent brands and be patient and wait for the deals.
    A surprise deal lately in Sony centre Liffey Valley of all places....spindle of 50 for €30, and they're Sonys obviously.
    On the lower end of branded, Packard Bells have never let me down. And just today in Lidl (btw pronounced Lie-Del, not Liddle according to my Swiss niece), 10 Maxell with jewel cases @ €6.99.

I'll never beat the deal I got in the US a couple of months ago though....30 Fujis (the BEST imo) for $11 in Radio Shack. And if I was domicile, there was $10 rebate!!!!
    Go figure, as they might say over there :confused:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dod
    (100 unbranded CDRs for €62, almost twice the price they used to be?)
    Good lord. I haven't bought any at Maplin in a while but they were never anywhere near that price before (and with the EUR/GBP shift a few months back they should have become cheaper).

PCWorld/Dixons are still selling the PCLine discs at 39 euros for 100. I've never had any hassle with them. Komplett were selling them far cheaper last I checked (I think I worked out it was well worth buying them in 300s to cover postage and still be well ahead)

Bring them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

i think komplett ar eok and same as argos...
    maplin were fine too.
    JUST GO BACK AND SAY THIS PROBLEM ...
    THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK

dvlnv kd kc vkk
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yes you certainly did get screwed for that price. as pointed out by others you can pick up much cheaper. You can pick up a spindle of 100 for €20 in the us. Personally I like the ones that I get from pc superstore, i think the brand is "world memory" or something only €33 iirc. I've only had 7 bad disks out of 200 so far which isn't bad imo considering i went through a whole pack of sony disks that 10 of the 25 disks failed (didn't test the other 15) just returned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I think those CD's in Maplins used be about €40, last time I was in there. They're badly packaged (usually the plastic is torn and there's loads of dirt on them afaik).

I got brilliant Cd's accross in Peats the same day. 100 for €40 (pack of 25 for a tenner) BenQ (think that's what they're called. The guy behind the counter said that's Aopen's new name.

48x, good quality, dont scratch very easily. Dont know if they sell them anymore,.. This was during the "moving out sale".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when i was in america i bought 100 cds jewel cased for 14 dollars a box and i got 5 boxes.

and they were phillips aswell a name that i can trust gone through half of them and hadn't had one dud.

Advertisement