Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Automated Testing Tools

Options
  • 19-08-2003 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I thought this would be the best forum to post this question in, so here goes. I've been asked to research and recommend automated test tools by the company I work for so can anyone recommend a set of automated test tools that they've used or their company has used?

I've had a look at the Silktest range of products and just did not find them very user friendly etc. I've also had a look at the Rational product family and have found their Robot tool easy to use for record and playback and the scripting language is very easy to pick up. The environment we will be using the test tools on will be a delphi front end, more than likely running over Terminal services, using a SQL Server 2000 database.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Talla

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

ive been in automation for about 5 years and have worked with them all..

SilkTest
    LoadRunner
    Rational
    Winrunner

Most were good.. Winrunner been the best i thought.. but none were good enough.. so we wrote our own VB modules for automation.. much more flexable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

thanks for the reply. We've got a development department of about 20 and a QA department of 5, but we just dont have the time to invest in creating our own tools unfortunately. We are in phase 4 of a 6 phase enterprise project at the moment which will take us up to June 2004 at the earliest and we were hoping to introduce automation by January 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

Worked with SilkTest myself for few years.
    Quite good.

Record Playback froget about it. Thats not how automated testing tools work.

Suggest trying silktest again.

Silktest doesnt appear to support Delphi, and we have been waiting for months for their partners in Ireland to contradict us on that. At this stage SilkTest is practically out of the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭wombat

I've used rational for several years now, we picked it because it was in our price range. but all I ever hear is how great winrunner is. It's definitely the leader in its field.

Just make sure they're not introducing automation because they heard it was something they should do. They should have a bloody good reason for it before spending a fortune in time and cash on it.

• Advertisement

No the reasoning behind it is sound enough. We spend way too much time with regression testing on every build we do. It will mainly be used for this. Also as we are basically developing a system that has to handle 2000 store constantly polling a central server and the server replicating to the these stores, we will also need a tool for load testing. The problem with Winrunner is, they don't have an evaluation copy available only demo's which is useless to us, as we cannot see how it interacts with our project, as this is where silktest failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

We use the Empirix Suite of tools for Funtional and Load Testing, pretty good but they are geared for web apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

theres a mercury supplier in Dublin cant remember the name ( ill have a look ), contact them we got a 30 day trial version of winrunner off them..

This was a few years ago so thay may have stopped doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 surfboy

Hi There,

There's also Perl and shell scripts! Depends on your testing techniques and what type of products your testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 surfboy

While I think of it.

Has anybody ever tried to automate any localised software? i.e. written the scripts using winrunner / SilkTest or something like that, and then tried to use them to test the same software that's localised??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry for dragging this old thing up but does anyone know of a training course for Silktest in Ireland or UK? I have googled but not found anything that seems to be right.

What I need is to attend a course that is an introduction to and getting started with Silktest.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a company that does these courses, besides online course from Segue?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

Sorry for dragging this old thing up but does anyone know of a training course for Silktest in Ireland or UK? I have googled but not found anything that seems to be right.

What I need is to attend a course that is an introduction to and getting started with Silktest.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a company that does these courses, besides online course from Segue?

Segue do onsite/classroom training .. (they have an office in Belfast.)
    Check their website .. http://training.segue.com/course-offerings.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Sorry for hijacking but I have a similar Q.

I have a java project in NetBeans, could anyone recommend a suitable testing tool.
    I'm using J2ME.

Advertisement