Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbyes

Options
  • 03-04-1999 9:32pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We get people saying good bye a lot (some mean it , some mean it but dont manage to stay away! smile.gif )
    But we never get new players saying hello.

This gives the impression that we are one by one dropping away from quake, but I think recently we've had a fair number of new players (and some recruits from q2).

just a thought.

DeVore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I agree,

and maybe if newbies were treated a little nicer in general we might have more recruits?

ELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well since i probably am a newbie (well quakeworld anyway) i reckon its down to the fact that we suck smile.gif
    hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PokeY

I'm kinda new too i've only been playin q2
    online since x-mas an i suck so-hello there
    lads. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

dev as i began to notice about 8 or 10 months ago there are less and less newbies, and i think now were at the stage that there is no such thing as a newbie anymore (whatever about crap player smile.gif

the reasons are obvious, its just too dang hard to start - 2/3 years ago all u had to do was load up q95 and hop into quake.iol.ie
    or indigo, but now u gotta get qw and all that, and newbies know nothing about the modems they have and dont know whats going on when they have a 400 ping.
    Also, FFA is really simple just get in and frag, and all that, now u go onto a war server and u get kicked if u dont know exactly whats goin on.
    New players also arent really interested in quake any longer since all the new games such as Q3a and daikatana are being hyped up in the mags, so they have no need to play quake smile.gif

pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

I agree with HK.

I'd say one of the main things thats missing from the Irish Quake scene is a centralised source of information for new Irish players - its all spread out across the net.

We need some area that details step-by-step information on how to go from setting up an internet connection to get a decent ping, to connecting to servers, and what the difference is between Quake, Quakeworld, Quake2 etc. with links to all such files.

Forget about tactics guides, non-mainstream mods, map reviews and all that crap. Thats just unnecessary extra work that needs updating. I'm talking about a summary of everything you need to start playing Quake in about 6 pages maximum. What I have suggested also needs very little updating.

Finally, this centralised source needs to be made public somewhere, perhaps in one of those Irish net mags or a spot in the PC Gamer internet pages (where they have spotlights already on some uk clans). There's no point having it if nobody knows it there.

Quake.ie goes some of the way towards what I have described above, but it could do with some more intial setup instructions for new people. I don't think the site has been publicized widely enough (I've never come across it being mentioned anywhere).
    Also, Quake.ie is a _little_ bit incoherent, although everybody accepts that its voluntary and very much appreciates the hard work that has been put into it for no reward.

Another possibility is that beginners who do know about the Irish Quake (1,2, etc) scene see it as being too elitist or hard-core for them, and do not feel welcome since they are only beginners. We really need to cater a bit more for new players and make them feel more welcome than we are at the moment.

Its no fun being a newbie trying to learn the ropes and getting wiped around the shop by more experienced players who have been playing since the game came out. A newbie-only server would be ideal, but perhaps a bit too much to ask (although there are some servers that I think are hardly used by anyone).

My overall point is that we could be an awful lot more newbie-friendly, in the sense that currently EVERYTHING is geared towards experienced players who know what 'ping' means and discuss things like the intricacies of backward rocket-jumping on some obscure thing called 'DM3'.

We'll also have to see what Quake 3 brings,
    although the high machine spec (as you'd expect with a new game) will probably initially limit the number of people who move over, even if the game itself is a success.

That's my two cents. Any thoughts on the above ?

[This message has been edited by Dupre (edited 04-04-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Hey, as a newbie meself i was treated brilliantly, i dunno but the quake gang are some of the most friendly geezers ive ever met, so if its all the same i think its one of the most welcoming new environments ive ever entered...
    Good la's...
    more beer

hit the nail on the head there dupre smile.gif

the main thing is to have it like somewhere like the iol homepage, or the independant puter sectoin (examples like) if u wanna be like team.ie heres what u do smile.gif

another thing is to have (i hate to say it)
    a jargon buster (i feel so dirty) or sumat and a self extracting zip which means "ohh yes get this and yer sorted"

pat (im going for a shower ugh smile.gif

Im almost finished what I reckon a guide should look like and will post it up soon. Not that I think it should be THE guide but just so we can have somthing to discuss and mould into a proper guide.

ELP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Good on you ELP.
    I'll host it is you cant find anywhere for it. Gis us all a look at it and we can all chip in ideas.

DeV.

OK, I have a VERY rough draft up at

http://www.iol.net/~mullent/newbieguide.htm

If you could take a quick look and make a few suggestions id be grateful.

ELP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

How's about:

Some exact urls for the downloads u metioned.

Maybe not saying that you should invert the mouse as for some people this is disorientating.

Mouse sensitivty doesnt have to be highest either as u will have better aim with a lower sensitivity, best not to start out newbies with a disadvantage.

How about some frequently used console commands? How to spectate a game for example and use cl_chasecam 1 to see exactly how other people do it.

Thanks for putting people off duelling, generally people who duel wont play proper against newbies and will give them a few frags and not totally kill them. There is few enough people who duel already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

i suggest a combination of both of the below...

http://www.iol.net/~mullent/newbieguide.htm

and sloshes

http://www.iol.ie/~joesoap/newbies/

El PRes - great work -

cool guide.

just to add on to what scarab said, maybe not all newbies would like to see d_mipcap 3... awfully offputting unles u know whats going on

pat

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yah a really good start.
    The problem now is to organise how to get a few people writing *detailed* how-tos.
    Someone should take proxies, all by them selves in a different page. Then El Pres can put a link to it. Newbies can look at it or not as they wish.

Perhaps this would be better as a word doc for the moment?

Might be good to suggest they alter FOV to auit themselves, also remind them to use M_FILTER. I cant believe some of our longest players didnt know about that, not mentioning any names (*cough* mickah *cough*) :p

The layout is very hard on the reader but thats just eye candy and I'll sort that later if necessary. Good start!

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I give up. I've asked before for people to LOOK at the Help section on Quake.ie and tell me what is missing. Someone said a centralised source. Well it's spreading all over the place.
    Now because a newbie discussion arises people talk about it when I've been wondering about it for bloody ages.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

Maybe they could just play..quake2.. smile.gif

OK

I'll start putting in your suggestions.

Dev, I know the layout is really bad but it is just a first draft and I kinda wanted to focus on content.

As for Sloshs page, i'd love to link up ( If he'll take me!!)

EL

k, I changed it. Everything except the bit about duels which I forgot but will put in soon. Sorry Scarab.

I plan on just keep updateing untill its got everything ppl want ( and dosent look crap )so any suggestions, just keep em coming.

Advertisement