Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock AMD 2200+

Options
  • 19-08-2003 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Just wondering is there a point overclock an AMD XP 2200+ when I only have a 256MB PC2100 Ram? How fast do people think the 2200+ could go up to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

As your ram is going to hold you back FSB wise, i would increase the multiplier in .5 increments until it becomes unstable. Then increase the Vcore until it gets stable.

What cooler do you have?? Its hard to say how well this chip will do overclocking wise, wouldnt be the most common overclocker * it comes in 2 cores - Tbred A and Tbred B. If you could read the code on the chip i could tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

I just saw someone on the internet that he blew up his 2100+ when he was just increase its speed to 66Mhz more...that really scares me...do you think it's worth for me if I could just get the 2400+ for €19 more than the 2200+. Then I don't think I'll bother doing any overclocking since I don't have any good cooler at all. Anyway, really appreciate for the advice COL_LOKI

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If you have decent cooling it is very difficult to blow it up.

Get Motherboard monitor to allow you to have a temp reaing in your system tray, that should help.

Also, have you multiplier unlocked your T-bred?

It is only one bridge, but it only gives you 12.5 and below multipliers. Unless you have something very new in the motherboard department that aloows soft control of the multiplier.

Bear in mind, a T-bred A does run very hot. T-bred Bs are not so bad but an operating temp between 45 and about 53 is common.

Check out something like aoaforums.com or amdmb.com for some more info.

LD

Think theres a little more to the 66mhz increase story. If he went man increasing the Vcore voltage, his heatsink was fitted wrong.......

Once your cooler is semi decent and you dont go over say 1.75V you shouldnt have anything to worry about IMO. You should be able to get that chip to 2ghz-2.1ghz without any probs IF it is a Tbred B, if its a Tbred A im not so sure.

If you dont go crazy and think about what your doing you will be fine, Xp2600 would be a nice increase - prob more if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

I've checked my CPU temp from bios and it's running at 45-48 degrees on average without any big usage! I'll try to find out what Tbred I had, but I think I'll buy this 2400+ anyway coz my friend is gonna take the 2200+ off me. So is it worth to overclock that 2400+ without unlocking the multiplier?

• Advertisement

Would recomend going for an Xp2500+ , pay the little bit more and you get the new barton core with twice the cache. It will also do on average between 2.2ghz - 2.5ghz. You should be able to get it to an Xp2800+ wit a very small increase in Vcore (ie set it to 1.675 or 1.7) and it will run with small temp increases and very minimal risk.

You can set a ram divider to run your ram at 133mhz (pc2100) as the barton is 166mhz FSB.
    If you could afford it Pc2700 ram - mabye 512mb would see a very nice performance increase in your system.

Advertisement