Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo recommendations

• 19-08-2003 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a new mobo with the following

Supports P4
    Hyper threading
    Agp 8x
    Up to 333mhz Ram
    Serial Ata

Im looking to spend between €100 - €150
    Any recommendations who be helpfull.

Thanks logistic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Would recomend the Abit IC-7 , it supports 800Mhz FSB chips like the 2.4C, 2.6C....... (which are hyper threading chips). Also supports 533Mhz FSB ones 2.

It has SATA , 8x AGP, Ram up to Pc3200 (400Mhz) .

There is the Abit IC7-G, the only difference is it has Gb Lan - which you prob wont need.

Here is a good Review

And a good place to Buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I'd have to recommend the Abit IS7 (since I have one).
    800Mhz fsb for your P4 2.4c
    Supports Dual DDR400 Ram (up to 4Gb)
    8xAGP, SATA, Raid
    USB 2.0 (6 USB ports)
    3Com Gigabit LAN (they're advertised as having 10/100, but actually have Gigabit :))
    Firewire 1394

My PC:
    Abit IS7
    P4 2.4 @2988Mhz w/stock cooling & voltage
    2x256 Dual DDR400 @416Mhz VDimm 2.7v (6,2,2,2)
    2x40Gb Maxtor SATA Raid0

All running sweet. I've had the P4 up to 3.2Ghz and I'm sure it'll go higher with w/cooling but I'm happy @3Ghz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Thanks for the advice COL_LOKI and Sir Random.

Sorry but i forgot to mention that the board has to be Mini Atx and the ram i have is only pc2100 266mhz.

I could only find one board on Komplett but it only has 3 pci slots
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=1&CatID=10&p=30201&view=detailed

Thanks
    Logistic

Well, that board doesn't support 800Mhz CPUs so no Hyper Threading.
    Do you already have a P4 CPU?
    I think an 800Mhz CPU + HT would be too fast for that ram.
    A 533Mhz CPU would run that RAM at spec with 1:1 (133/133)

I'd definitely recommend getting a new case so you're choice of mobo isn't so restricted.

I thought the 533Mhz FSB 2.8 & 3.06 P4's supported hyper threading !! Which would mean that board and ram would be fine, just get one of the above processors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Col_loki your correct there is a hyper-threading 533FSB chip but afaik it's only the 3.06ghz one i don't know about the 2.8 one

Ah, my bad. I just presumed he meant a cheaper CPU like a 2.4 @ €200.
    I honestly think €500 for a 3.06 is outrageous since an Intel 2.4 can be clocked to 3.06 with stock cooling. Then again, Top-End CPUs and GFx cards have always been outrageously over priced.

If you're thinking of getting a 3.06, I'd seriously consider getting an ATX case and 800Mhz/DDR400 mobo with a newer 875P or 865PE Chipset.

Cheers Cr3mo, i knew the 3.06ghz P4 had hyper threading , wasent sure about the 2.8.

Definetly would try to find an 800Mhz FSB m-atx board. The 2.4C and some better ram would be a much faster cheaper option if you have to have hyper threading - unless you already have a chip??

Advertisement