Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment agencies and sites

• 19-08-2003 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

What's the story with the recruitment agencies and the recruitment sites? If you log onto say www.recruitireland.com and do a search for 'Java' in Munster you'll get about 20 results of all the same job!
    It seems to me that the agencies are visiting the sites every day and updating them with the exact same job (which probably doesn't even exist).

So is there really only one job for a Java Developer in Cork city?
    Should this type of spamming be allowed?
    What can/should be done about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yes they are rubbish. But you have to use them because 10% of the jobs advertised are actually real. The others are there so they can harvest CV's. Theres been some jobs on these sites for over 12 months. Others are reposted nearly everyday. If you are contracting you get to recognise the pattern and can pick out (hopefully) the real ones from the rephrased repeats ads. Do a search (some sites allow you to do this) that include agencies and you'll get a couple hundred IT jobs. So a search without agencies and you'll get 10 maybe 20 max. . Thats the real job market not the fantasy that the agencies are trying to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Where's James Stelfox Melody when we need some faith restored :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I cannot speak for other Agencies.

However every single job that we advertise is in fact live.
    We try and build strong relationships with all the Clients and Candidates we deal with.

If you look at a site such as Recruit Ireland you will see more jobs advertised by Agency than by Company. Some companies will not advertise on websites. Some deal mainly through agencies. And some deal with multiple agencies - thus you have a situation of maybe 3 or 4 agencies advertising for the same job.

Some agencies are rather short sighted, we allways aim to build
    long term relationships.

As I said - every single position that we advertise is LIVE. Excepting for the odd occasion where due to human error a position is left up for a day or two after being filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by James Melody
    I cannot speak for other Agencies.

However every single job that we advertise is in fact live.
    We try and build strong relationships with all the Clients and Candidates we deal with.

Good to know there's a good guy left in this mess - well you must be - you're on boards :)

More seriously I've never had dealings with Stelfox just the way things have panned out. I'd love to list the ricks (silent p) that I've dealth with over the last 10 years, but that'd get me sin-binned :D if not sued.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Unfortunately you'll be tarred with the same brush as those "short sighted" agencies in the eyes of many. The majority of agency staff I've talked to over the years are all smoke and mirrors and with little technical ability or knowledge about anything at all. You do meet the odd, person who is very professional and knowledgeable but its the exception rather than the rule unfortunately. I'm amazed many of them managed to find their way to work to be honest.

• Advertisement

Before I worked in the business, I went to Agencies as well, and
    yes some of them are useless gimps who will try and sell you some crummy job you dont want on less money than you are currently earning!!!

But, I did find some real gems who actually knew there stuff and put the effort in.... We are not all bad... some of us are actually quite good.. And I certainly get a buzz out of helping someone find a job they really enjoy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

James: can I send you my resume? I'll be looking for a job in dublin starting in november =)

On a more serious note, when we were thinking about moving back last year, I did actually send my resume to recruitireland.ie and one other place.. didn't really get the feeling after talking to the agents that they really had much clue about what I did, or how to match my skills.

Anyone can send in CVs... I can't guarantee I'll have something, but I will try.

Just so everyone knows, I Manage the Pharmaceutical Division here. We have Engineering and IT as well.

The guys here do know there stuff.

Advertisement