Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pace Modems

Options
  • 30-03-1999 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

OK I have posted this in Tech Support Board but I reakon there are more people using Pace modems here smile.gif

Ok a quick question.Pace 56k modems are the dogs bollix apparently. But is there any performance difference between the internal and external models bar the obvious (i.e. should I spend the extra lids for the external or not).

Opinions please ......

Gandalf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nutter

Have tried both internal and external,had a lot of problems with internal in win95 but havent tried int with 98.My personal pref is
    ext and i like the flashing lights soooo pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Yeah I've tried both and they are both excellent, but I prolly prefared the internal, I found it a wee bit more stable and the pings where actually lower! But I had to free up PCI slots so I had to get the external one, which is still a fookin kik *****modem. I've you've got a free PCI slot or 7 go for the internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

gandy,
    pace modems are indeed the dogs bo11ox. it has dropped me ping from 250 to 140. sweet.
    i have an external and have had not one iota of a problem.
    worth the cash... seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got myself an internal one there last week there sometime and yea **** kicking cool, well worth it, i've had no problems with the internal, only thing i miss is the flashing lights wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

no my board I realise but......

I have a external multi modem (who?) and I also get 140 pings to tribes ign

Is it a 56k v90 thing as apposed to a pace thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Where?
    How Much?

Hail To The PING, Baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm the Pace is V90 ready and can be upgraded. I know I've done all the research on this......should have a nice low ping soon .

Oh and I can get em smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

as the pace is designed specificlly for the british isles and ireland and all that, it also comes with a built in aimbot for a more 'realistic' cheating session.
    now gandy, even you can use the shaft
    smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

no difference between the two models really. Just comes down to whether u like flashing lights or not. V90 actually gives u slightly higher pings (only by about 10-20ms) but its waaay more stable than vanilla k56flex...since i changed to v90, i dont see our little friend the phonejack as much anymore smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

The only way there would be any difference between the internal and external is if u had a ****** com port which had a lower speed than the modem, the external is easier to get at than the internal if anything goes wrong, i have never had a problem with my internal tho and i didnt pay the extra 30 quid for the blinking lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I had both an internal and external an i must say that Internal is the way to go beby! no wires and ****. juNkie U said something about freeing up a PCI slot ? As far as I know (not very far mind U) Pace 56k INT's are ISA so spank my ass and call me Charlie smile.gif

SB...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Errr,

Im not sure here Gandy. I have a pace 56k Int, and altough I get nicer pings, I still get sh1tty f00king connections and I still have to ref00kinconnect several times to get me a good /clean connect and make those nasty redbars dissapear in r-negraph. I donno if I have a dodgy modem or dodgy line, but one things for sure I still have connection problems sad.gif

I'm currently using a darn IOL connect as Indigo is just impossible at the mo. Id love to hear from anyone else who has similar problems, but it does look like im in a boat of my own sad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Eric,

I've just made the switch. Indigo have been **** for far too long with the were upgrading....ON tribes iol is 100000% stabler and the pings are better too

BTW whos arguement against externs was less wires on an intern? er 3, the phone line, power and serial to the pc - if you can connect to a games server surely you can plug in 3 wires smile.gif

[em]vaggabond

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That was my point and u dont understand a thing I was trying to say. Theres nothing hard about connecting an External modem to a PC, just that there are more wires and plugs needed to do so and I'd much prefer to have an internal modem.

SB...

[This message has been edited by SickBoy (edited 31-03-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

MP that's probably you're phone line. Sometimes switching ISPs can help but most of the time not.

Only thing to be done is get TE to check the line....

Kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thanks lads for all your advice.

I went for the external modem and what a pleasure. Ping has been halved and no sign of any packet loss and I'm still only connecting at 33.6 (I still have to do the flash upgrade to V90). I also used to have alot of problems with my system freezing up as well they have gone. Bye Bye Mr. Winmodem its off to Buy & Sell for you (How much do you reakon I should ask for smile.gif)

Cheers again,

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

My my those nice people at Pace are quick on their replies.
    I send an e-mail about send an email about getting my modem fixed in the UK, and wait for it got a reply in less than 10 minutes ? Is this some kind of support record ?

Advertisement