Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003

Options
  • 19-08-2003 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Has anyone ever migrated Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003??? Where do I start? I have down loaded loads of documents from the net, but they are all aimed at upgrading on the same machine. I have bought a new server with Win2003 Server preinstalled and I'm need to set this up as my new PDC... Does anyone have any tips? Good websites etc....?

Thanks, :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

come on lads
    I was about to start the same tread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

First backup 5.5 using a backup packagethat can deal with the database when open (the .edb file)

Restore this backup onto another machine

upgrade that and see for yerselves, it was dead easy from 5.5 to 2000 back in the day as I remember it.

you could cheat and run a 5.5- 2000 and then a 2000-2003 upgrade maybe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it is on m$ site somewhere

It's a small utility that you can use to extract emails from the edb and store in individual pst's (each pst having the original account name) - tbh without it I would not recomend exchange as an email solution. - this is your get out of jail (you can have directors hooked up to thier pst quite quickely)

you could possibly use it to setup a clean server and push the pst's back.

other option is to setup a second server on the same "site" and move the mailboxes across - uninstall off the first and - install a clean copy on the first and move them back. (be nice to leave the second copy of exm as a backup - but not sure if can do - m$ licencing is intituitive or obvious) - messy but you have a fully working server at each stage - removing all entries of a server from a site is real pain - rtfm many times....

Do you really need to upgrade ?

or is it being forced upon you (look at mdaemon as a light commercial alternative )
    (eg: if you have hit the limit of edb size you could also add another server to the site to split the load)

I've heard of major downtime with exchange caused by the sheer size of edb's - no loss of data but over a full day to restore the backup !

if you do a clean install then keep a copy of the clean edb files somewhere - they can be useful.

Advertisement