Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heatsink/fan question

• 19-08-2003 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

would I be able to use this heatsink with a zalman 92mm fan on xp2100. the fan that came with the actual heatsink is incredably loud. or could I use the fan mate to slow it down a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Am doubting it would fit to be honest. 6800rpm - ouch that much be very loud. Unless your overclocking you wont need the fan to be running at that speed.

I would definetly use the fan mate to reduce the speed to a tolarable level, even 3300rpm and then keep a good eye on your temps. Am thinking there should be absolutly no problems, as i have dont the same with an ultra noisey Volcano 7 & an Xp3000+ and she's overclocked and stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I presume you mean to use the Zalman fan with the bracket that hangs it off the backplane slots (bolted through the tops of the AGP/PCI card(s))???

The Zalman heatsinks are arranged in a flower shape to maximise the airflow between as many fins as possible - essentially, it's designed to be a very good passive (i.e. non-fan-assisted) heatsink.

The Coolermaster, on the other hand, is specifically designed to be force-cooled by a fan. More specifically - a fan installed on the sink itself; unless you get up close and personal, the fan won't be able to force enough air through the sink to be effective.

Have you considered one of the fan adaptors (ether plastic or metal) that allow you to fit an 80mm fan onto 60mm spaced screwholes? That would allow you to fit a lower RPM, but higher CFM fan... last time I checked, Papst, Sharkoon and Panaflos (Panasonic) were all good choices for quiet fans - and still get lots of lovely airflow. Sure, it won't be pretty... well, maybe...

HTH,
    Gadget

Advertisement