Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

its ok to boo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by smemon

duff was booed by liverpool fans on sunday. why hasnt anyone commented on that??? same sort of stuff, singling out one player. celtic isnt ireland, i know. but the 2 are very closely linked, especially with irish fans. not all at landsdowne are celtic fans but alot are.

Firstly, Liverpool fans booed Duff because he was "supposed" to be signing for them, prior to going to Chelsea. That perceived insult to Liverpool merited the booing, in their eyes anyway. At least there is a clear link between the two. None exists for IRELAND fans to boo RANGERS players, other than their actions on the field of play.

There are also a lot of Man U fans who support Ireland. You'll join them in booing Liverpool and Man City players will you? Oh forgot, they have enough sense to differentiate between club and international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

this is very unlikely to happen but could some1 answer this question. if a former rangers player joined celtic and played an international for a nation against ireland would he be booed ???. OR if a rangers palyer playing for ireland would he be booed ??? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i ahve no doubt whatsoever that an irish player who played for rangers would be booed

hed probably also have his familys windows smashed in, his kids threatened, his car burnt out and his nose broken

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

And it's precisely because of this sectarian rivalry that Rangers won't sign an Irish player, hence that situation won't arise. This 'rivalry' is being perpetuated by the sort of morons who boo at the Ireland games, under the guise of 'well they're doing it, so we should too'.

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by Big Ears
    this is very unlikely to happen but could some1 answer this question. if a former rangers player joined celtic and played an international for a nation against ireland would he be booed ???. OR if a rangers palyer playing for ireland would he be booed ??? .

look at Mo Johnston who was a much disliked person back in the 90's for doing just that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Why do some supporters boo Rangers Players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Firstly, Liverpool fans booed Duff because he was "supposed" to be signing for them, prior to going to Chelsea. That perceived insult to Liverpool merited the booing, in their eyes anyway. At least there is a clear link between the two. None exists for IRELAND fans to boo RANGERS players, other than their actions on the field of play

I agree that there was indeed a link there, if not somewhat tenuous. But to boo you're fellow country man who’s contribution to his national team in his very sort career so far is inmeasurable, is just the action of pure and utter SCUM!!!

If “fans” (and I use this term very loosely!!) want to boo him for club related actions well then go to a Liverpool –v- Chelsea match and do it there and keep it at club level FFS.

I swear to God, it’s mindless ignorance like this that really, really gets my goat!!!
    Grow the **** up!!!

B.

Oh, and by the way, it doesn’t matter what way the Hoop and ‘tache Brigade try and dress it up, “CELTIC ARE A SCOTTISH TEAM”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Can I just ask, was Duff booed at Anfield or was he booed at Lansdowne? The first I heard of him being booed was from a poster who said they were not at the Ireland match.

Definately he should not be booed ever at an Ireland match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its funny.
    if we were talking about the booing of wales' black players last night, then everyone would be saying it was awful.
    but when it comes to irelands premier footballing team, celtic, some people say its just rivalry.
    how does that work?

by the way, is it neccesary to own a celtic shirt to attend an irland match, or can i wear my eircom shirt?

Originally posted by p.pete
    Can I just ask, was Duff booed at Anfield or was he booed at Lansdowne? The first I heard of him being booed was from a poster who said they were not at the Ireland match.

Definately he should not be booed ever at an Ireland match.

It was at Anfield. I've looked back at the original post, and it says "on Sunday", meaning at the Liverpool vs. Chelsea match. I think Benbaz may have misunderstood what the original poster said. (don't mean to blame you mate ;) )

Easy thing to happen the way this thread has gone though.

You can wear the Eircom one WWM, but you'll be rather lonely.

Isn't it ironic that "Ireland" fans are so eager to put money into Celtic's coffers...wouldn't that money be better spent on an Ireland jersey? Money to FAI=money for football development in THIS country. And it would be spent on Irish players...

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    by the way, is it neccesary to own a celtic shirt to attend an irland match, or can i wear my eircom shirt?
    Would it be possible for you to get a t-shirt with "Woodies DIY" on the front, they're preferable.

There is a lot of good points being made against booing - also nice to see that the site that semon originally referred to, on the "your comments" page is getting a lot of people saying it's not ok 2 boo.

It was at Anfield. I've looked back at the original post, and it says "on Sunday", meaning at the Liverpool vs. Chelsea match. I think Benbaz may have misunderstood what the original poster said. (don't mean to blame you mate ;) )

Easy thing to happen the way this thread has gone though.

Yep!! Misread it alright!!! *me blushes*

I missed the Sunday bit, but every time one of these B*ll*x Celtic threads are brought up, which seems to be every five minutes, I just see red!!!

Sorry "therecklessone" I wasn't getting at you!!!!!!

B.

Isn't it ironic that "Ireland" fans are so eager to put money into Celtic's coffers...wouldn't that money be better spent on an Ireland jersey? Money to FAI=money for football development in THIS country. And it would be spent on Irish players...
    It would also be nice to advertise our ailing Telecoms giant instead a british (apologies if carling aren't british, presumption on my part) brewing company.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Benbaz

I wasn't getting at you!!!!!!

B.

Never saw it that way mate, but thanks anyway...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It would also be nice to advertise our ailing Telecoms giant instead a british (apologies if carling aren't british, presumption on my part) brewing company.

While we're at it, it would be even nicer if the FAI didn't choose to cheapen our national jersey by insisting that it be plastered with an ugly corporate logo, especially as were almost the only country that does it. I refure to buy a (new) Ireland jersey until I can buy it without an eircom logo. I'll stick with retro jerseys for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by manonthemoon
    It's known as football rivalry!!!

Originally posted by eireboy

It's known as ignorance!!!

Your ability to totally miss the point mesmerizes me.

Yes it is football rivalry - very clever. It is the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers, two club teams and has no place in international soccer.

Beckham is widely considered a twat by most English people but they don't boo him when he puts on the shirt - even when as a manu player and england were playing matches around the country in grounds that would be hotbeds for anti manu feelings.

Scottish fans don't boo rangers players at internationals despite almost half of them being celtic fans. For the Irish fans to be doing it is blatently racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

liverpool, manu players etc dont get booed because celtic are closely linked with ireland, and will continue to be whether people like it or not.

its astonishing the amount of hoops scarves and shirts you see at landsdowne, equal to the irish shirts. at celtic park, you see tri-colours and irish shirts and scarves everywere, i enjoy the close links between the 2.

as eireboy says, its known as football rivalry. the media make it out to be alot worse. as for us buying the irish jersey, i'll always buy it no matter what it looks like. however i feel reluctant giving money to the fai. were does it go?? what happened to the millions raised by the world cup??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Beckham is widely considered a twat by most English people but they don't boo him when he puts on the shirt - even when as a manu player and england were playing matches around the country in grounds that would be hotbeds for anti manu feelings.

Beckham was booed everywhere except old trafford for ages after his world cup sending off ... then they forgot about it and stopped ...

liverpool, manu players etc dont get booed because celtic are closely linked with ireland, and will continue to be whether people like it or not.

its astonishing the amount of hoops scarves and shirts you see at landsdowne, equal to the irish shirts. at celtic park, you see tri-colours and irish shirts and scarves everywere, i enjoy the close links between the 2.

as eireboy says, its known as football rivalry. the media make it out to be alot worse. as for us buying the irish jersey, i'll always buy it no matter what it looks like. however i feel reluctant giving money to the fai. were does it go?? what happened to the millions raised by the world cup??
    My god that is ignorant semon. Do you not think that there is links also between celtic and scotland?

The links between Celtic and Ireland are historical and religious and for us to boo individual players based on a rivalry that celtic has with another club is just plain wrong.

england fans dont booh, THEIR OWN PLAYERS, scotland fans dont booh THEIR OWN PLAYERS, irish fans dont booh THEIR OWN PLAYERS.

no country bar n ire do that. thats why becks isnt booed. rascist is very harsh, when will people understand its rivalry.

Originally posted by LizardKing
    Backham was booed everywhere except old trafford for ages after his world cup sending off ... then they forgot about it and stopped ...
    That was fair enough - lots of teams have and will boo their own players, especially if they feel their performances hurt the team as in the WC. Beckham has since performed very well for them and is respected as an English player regardless of who he plays for or how big a twat he is.

Stop taking this thing so seriously. Exluding the threat from UEFA its only a bloody boo and its not going to hurt anyone. The worst it would do is make the victim of the booing more determined to play his best. I think we should do as said before and cheer the Rangers player every time he touches the ball, that would make the player play even worse because he knows all the attention is on him.

If UEFA weren't involved I would be up for the booing but since they got involved it has to stop.

BTW p.pete, I saw your post on ok2boo.com and there is a lot more posts for the booing than against it.

Lighten up lads!!!

Stop taking this thing so seriously. Exluding the threat from UEFA its only a bloody boo and its not going to hurt anyone. The worst it would do is make the victim of the booing more determined to play his best. I think we should do as said before and cheer the Rangers player every time he touches the ball, that would make the player play even worse because he knows all the attention is on him.

If UEFA weren't involved I would be up for the booing but since they got involved it has to stop.

BTW p.pete, I saw your post on ok2boo.com and there is a lot more posts for the booing than against it.

Lighten up lads!!!
    Why lighten up? I'm not really concerned for the player involved - it's more selfish reasons i.e. it makes Ireland look bad.

the irish fans mean no harm, look at the denmark match, the announcer told us to stop booing and instead we cheered every danish pass, and booed are own team. all a bit of fun and humour, most people had a good laugh at it however there were the few fusspots that thought it was a disgrace.

i must agree with eire boy, everyone must lighten up. if uefa have issued a REAL warning which i still dont know if they have, then it will stop, no doubt about it.

The links between Celtic and Ireland are historical and religious and for us to boo individual players based on a rivalry that celtic has with another club is just plain wrong.
    The us that you are referring to are Celtic supporters booing a rival player.
    If a bunch of Scottish-celtic fans were sitting outside a bar and a Averladze walked by, what would happen? He would be booed.

If a group of Celtic fans were sitting in Lansdowne Road and a Rangers player walked on the pitch, what would happen? he would be booed!

the irish fans mean no harm, look at the denmark match, the announcer told us to stop booing and instead we cheered every danish pass, and booed are own team. all a bit of fun and humour, most people had a good laugh at it however there were the few fusspots that thought it was a disgrace.

i must agree with eire boy, everyone must lighten up. if uefa have issued a REAL warning which i still dont know if they have, then it will stop, no doubt about it.
    Reacting to the announcer that way is a good thing - part of the Irish fun and banter and all that, it's the original booing of a single player that caused the need for the announcment in the first place that was the disgrace.

As far as uefa is concerned there is no official warning but they are closely monitoring the situation. The ozzy match did not mater in that regard because one of the teams was non european it came under the control of fifa not uefa.

Lets just hope there is no rangers players playing for Russia and the whole thing is given a chance to die down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

nice to advertise our ailing Telecoms giant
    They are now an English company...

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    They are now an English company...
    Damn it, is there any irish companies left? I agree with super_furry now, the jersey would be better without the logo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

theres a reason you agree with eireboy, and its not becuase either of you are right.

by the way, did you know that scottish supporters of celtic, that well known irish team, hate irish celtic supporters.
    they are seen as half assed, half witted morons.
    thats a direct quote by the way.

becuase, you see, celtic are actually scottish.

no.

really.

they are.
    look up glasgow (coz thats where their home ground is) and you will find it not just beside santry stadium, like some of you think. its actually in scotland.
    now, that makes them (altogether now!) Scottish!

what about their irish connections i hear you say.
    well, admittedly they have a four leaf clover on their shirt, and why not, its suppose to bring good luck.
    but i am unaware of any other connections right now.

but i guess, since spurs have 3 irish players, and chrissie houghton, they must be irish too.

its times like this im glad to be a rangers supporter.
    apart from these silly celtic supporters, its good to know the parkhead trohpy cabinet is empty while the rangers one overfloweth.

If a bunch of Scottish-celtic fans were sitting outside a bar and a Averladze walked by, what would happen? He would be booed.

If a group of Celtic fans were sitting in Lansdowne Road and a Rangers player walked on the pitch, what would happen? he would be booed!
    And if a bunch of celtic fans were sitting in hamden park? I know that's different because they are from the same country whereas we are booing a rangers player from a different country.

The point is that there is so many links between the whole Celtic, Ireland, Rangers triangle that are based on religion and sectarianism that it is always going to look bad - regardless of the actual intent behind the booing.

I will actually concede that it may be football rivalry - there is grounds for it but it seems unlikely and anyone looking from the outside at the situation will not see it as football rivalry. Therefore it makes Ireland look bad regardless of the intentions.

Also if we were playing Sweden would Ljunburg be booed because of rivalry between Arsenal and Liverpool and ManU? no, he wouldn't and the same for nearly all the other similar examples - except when it comes to us booing rangers players. As it is an international match most of those club rivalries are thrown out the window - seems awfully bigotted (regardless of the intention) for it to always happen to rangers players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

I have been reading this whole thread and before I read it I was against the booing of the Rangers players but after reading all of eireboys points he makes a lot of sense. This post below just shows why it is just rivalry.

Originally posted by irish life
    I have been reading this whole thread and before I read it I was against the booing of the Rangers players but after reading all of eireboys points he makes a lot of sense. This post below just shows why it is just rivalry.
    That's pretty much the only argument that the entire ok2boo site manages to make, I think there is far more arguments against however. Plus club rivalry shouldn't really belong at internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Seriously Lads,

The booing at Lansdowne is more comical than anything else. Gives the crowd a chance to make a bit of noise and to be honest most people turn around to each other and laugh afterwards. It's not a hatred thing, it's not a sectarian thing it's only a bit of craic. When the crowd were told to stop booing before they actually started cheering instead which led to a farsical afternoon.

Mad thing is though that Fran Rooney (head of the FAI)apologised to Georgia for Averdladze being booed, but sure wasn't he in the paper the day before the game saying that he was "going to score against the Irish for the Rangers fans" - what the hell does the poor fool expect. Never mind that the feckin Geogians threw knives on to the pitch when we played them over there. Still we booed, much worse than knife throwing.

Booing goes on in ever game of football and if that's as bad as it get's, what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As p.pete says why the hell should I lighten up. Because of a pack of idiot Celtic fans Irish fans are being made to look like small minded little twats.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Robbie Keane will be playing at rangers next year if they can cough up the money (according to soccernet).
    What will the booers do then? :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Robbie Keane will be playing at rangers next year if they can cough up the money (according to soccernet).
    What will the booers do then? :)
    I can absolutely guarantee you, as a friend of Robbie Keane's family, that he will not sign for Rangers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Just kidding :)

Family friend or not tho.
    If the money was right he'ld sign for Mountjoy united never mind rangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by irish life
    Seriously Lads,

The booing at Lansdowne is more comical than anything else. Gives the crowd a chance to make a bit of noise and to be honest most people turn around to each other and laugh afterwards. It's not a hatred thing, it's not a sectarian thing it's only a bit of craic.

Very similaer to what people said to each other in the 70s and 80s when they justified throwing bananas at black players.

When a player(or club) is picked out for abuse for reasons of creed or colour then it is wrong.

Ranger players are booed becasue of the relationship with Celtic, but that relationship is at heart sectarian, therfore Irish Fans booing a Rangers player is also seen as sectarian.

Whether it is or not, anyone from outside the country will view the booing of Rangers players without cause as a sectarian act.

The us that you are referring to are Celtic supporters booing a rival player. If a bunch of Scottish-celtic fans were sitting outside a bar and a Averladze walked by, what would happen? He would be booed.

Well let's us your logic then. If a group of Liverpool supporters are sitting outside a bar and Ruud van Nistelrooy walks by then he will be booed. If a group of Liverpool supporters are sitting in Lansdowne Road and a Man United player walked on the pitch, then he should be booed.

So in essence, you think it's okay for Irish supporters to boo Manchester United players. Well thanks for clearing that up.

Originally posted by super_furry
    Well let's us your logic then. If a group of Liverpool supporters are sitting outside a bar and Ruud van Nistelrooy walks by then he will be booed. If a group of Liverpool supporters are sitting in Lansdowne Road and a Man United player walked on the pitch, the he should be booed.

Well thanks for clearing that up.
    Should we ever manage to get ourselves a national stadium I recommend that we call it boopark and legitimise the whole thing:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i personally dont see anything wrong with letting a player know that he is not a favorite! buts thats where it should stop. Theres nothing wrong with one or two jeers when he put a pass astray or fails to control, this is a tradition in football!

But i do not like when the player is booed for the whole 90 minutes because this has a NEGATIVE effect on the IRISH TEAM.
    #
    Give up worrying about the opposittion and save your breath for CHEERING on the IRISH TEAM.

Otherwise stay at home with your cans of dutch and shout all you want at the the tele and give your ticket to someone who deserves it.

So anyway, what it all boils down to is that Celtic supporters think it's ok to boo specific players during Irish international games, while everyone else just think they're a pack of gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

I remember the Danish match when the announcer mistakenly introduced a substitute as Lovenkrands the Rangers player. He got booed every time he touched the ball. Then when they really did bring on Lovenkrands and the announcer asked people to stop booing players, the crowd reacted by cheering every time a Danish player touched the ball.

Which I think goes to show how skin deep this so-called sectarianism is.

I don't think we can be accused of bigotry and sectarianism based on the actions to date. However, I worry that the over reaction from the politically correct quarters will lead to a situation where people will attempt to justify more blatant examples of sectarianism.

Which none of us want.

So, taking into account the late great Irishman Spike Milligan's assertion that 'The Irish think sideways' I propose that next time an international side with a Rangers player comes to Lansdowne Road, we applaud him heartily every time he touches the ball.

1) it will totally wreck his head
    2) it will be shown to be just a bit of fun
    3) it's an alternative to people burning the union jack and justifying it on the grounds that they're not allowed boo any more
    4) Everybody can join in
    5) the Rangers fans will still get the message!

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

A lot of the younger crowd get caught up in it too ... they hear a load of booing so they join in .... its like when you start a clap or a song... people get caught up in it .... I personallt do not "boo" players however I do not think it "too bad" ... I'd prefer if it did not happen but it is part and parcel with the game .... Refs get a load of stick too as do managers and sometimes heads of state .... did'nt Bertie get booed at the Special Olympics .... That was not racially or sectarianistically motivated .. just started in a section of the crowd and caught on.... It's very hard to control output from crowds / fans ...

Anyway could be worse they could be shouting expletives or rioting... if all we have to worry about is some booing I reckon we are ok ...

edit p.s agree with Hairy Homer ...

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    5) the Rangers fans will still get the message!

What do you think?
    Remind me again, why exactly as Irish fans do we want to send Rangers fans a message? And what is this message? something along the lines of "stay the fluck out our country, please"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement