Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will I stay or will I go?

• 19-08-2003 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I'm going to a themed night out with the company my boyfriend works for. It should be good fun but I'm wondering what the people he works with are like....will they speak to me etc? Any suggestions as to how I could interact? You know how girls are when they are together - they won't want to know me. I'm dressing up as a cinderella - its a disney themed nite but I feel so unsure as to whether or not I should go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Go- it will probably be a free beer night so go and get thrashed. No one will care and you will have been best of friends with someone for years come the end of the night.

TRUST ME ON THIS.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

either that or you'll make a complete ass of yourself. The drunken fool at the end of a do is always remembered but usually for the wrong reasons.
    As they say, first impressions last a lifetime.
    those things are always tough so grit yourself!

The best thing to do is to sit your BF down before you go and tell him that he must INTRODUCE you to people, not to forget. He must be constantly thinking
    "is she alright?"
    "has she met this person already?".
    "does she need to step outside for a minute"
    The worst thing in the world is when you're other half is chatting away to someone you don't know and he (or she) forgets about you, leaving you to feel like a right lemon. He HAS to intoduce you as soon as he goes up to someone or a group of people. shake hands with all of them, Smile and use plenty of eye-contact at the same time. Also really LISTEN to each of their names as you are told them and repeat the name in your head immediately after you've heard it.
    Also, if it ain't free, buy a round. Nothing gets you in with a group better than a free drink (they're Irish after all) Just make sure you won't be leaving that group for a bit otherwise you'll have to buy another round for the next group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Go and have a good time. I wouldn't dwell too much on the social protocol of the occasion unless your bf is a director of the company or something. Have a nice few drinks and enjoy yourself. Don't get hung up on it, the same as any workplace there'll be some great people and some self-important prats, just try to stay away from the prats!

(And if there's any 'suitable' single girls there, will you get me their numbers?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I'm pretty sure there will be other people there who will probably be thinking exactly the same thing.

Personally, I'd rather go for the hell of it, than sit at home and regret not going.
    Have you not spoken to your boyfriend about this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Well if your going then chances are that your bf's workmates will be bringing their other halves too..

Im sure they will be thinking exactly the same as you and will just be glad to sit and chat to someone whos not from the company and not talking shop talk as usually is the case at work nights out.

90% of the time they people you end up chatting with are there as guests or patners of others who work in the company and just arent interested in the usual work talk thats being discussed so finding someone whos not part of the company will be as much a relief to them as they are to you.

Most of all enjoy yourself and try not to shag the boss.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

The best thing to do is to sit your BF down before you go and tell him that he must INTRODUCE you to people, not to forget. He must be constantly thinking
    "is she alright?"

How devious, I like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AngelAine

No , I haven't spoken to him about for it, for the reason that I don't want him to think I'm so bothered about it. He'll only tell me I don't have to go etc and the thing is I really want to go. I haven't met anyone he works with so its in my interest to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

AngelAine,
    So what if he knows you're bothered about it?
    You need to talk to him about this. I'd say that letting him know how you feel will make all the difference in how he (and you) will approach the night. If he know's you're bothered about meeting these people, then I'm sure he'll put in the extra effort to help you settle in, and most importantly, make sure that you're enjoying yourself!

Sinecure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

No , I haven't spoken to him about for it, for the reason that I don't want him to think I'm so bothered about it. He'll only tell me I don't have to go etc and the thing is I really want to go. I haven't met anyone he works with so its in my interest to go!

If this is going to be a job he is going to have for awhile I really think you better talk it over with him and just explain that you really want to go and that you are excited about going....Also tell him to make sure he introduces you and makes you feel part of the group and not left out. Sometimes guys don't realize their leaving us out till we blow up and get mad.

Besides the fact that he tells you you don't have to go if you don't want to makes me think that there may be something going on with someone else? I mean don't get me wrong, If I had a big party to go to I would be all excited that my mate got to go. He should be just as excited to show you off. Let us know what you decide to do and what goes on?;)

Advertisement